Airline Carry-on Bags - Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I flew to Coz in June this year on Continental. The In Flight Entertainment monitors are supported by a black box under the seat, which limits what can fit under there. Even in First Class, the box took up enough room to prevent me from placing my backpack under the seat in front of me. Plan on putting everything in the overhead bins. I haven't had this problem on other airlines.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Ron

FYI, on the return trip last month, one of our divers had his one pound weights confiscated by airport security but they ignored his 2 pound weights. We figured there was just a higher demand for one pound weights in the area during that time.
Cozumel security has stopped allowing weights in carry-ons and it could be a wide spread thing in Mexico.

It should work. If you declare "scuba gear" they will up the weight limit for checked bags to 70 # by the way. And if you are flying first class, you can check three bags, each up to 70# on international flights on Continental.

I flew Japan Airlines and Philippine airlines in 2010 and 2011, respectively. In both instances, I had a full set of dive gear with me and declared it as such. No such luck on the 70# weight perk. Both airlines and most I know have a 50# limit. For Asian destinations, you are entitled to 2 checked luggage at max. 50# each. They charge you if you go over that. Fortunately, my dive bag rarely exceeds 45#.

Traveling without Digital Luggage Scales is foolish. Less than $10 to be safe, if the airline's scales are honest.

I flew Delta to Coz in 6-2010, American to Cancun in 2-2011, and JetBlue to Cancun in 10-2011. During each trip, I had a carryon with regs, lights, mask, some weights, and other essentials. Each time the carryon (small suitcase with required dimensions) weighed about 50 pounds and I was never questioned. On the American flight from Miami, they weighed everyone's carryon (excluding small personal bags) at the gate. I am not sure why. Mine on that trip was 52 pounds (yes, more than my checked bag), and it was no big deal.

Ditto the other comments on personal bags fitting under the seat.

FYI, on the return trip last month, one of our divers had his one pound weights confiscated by airport security but they ignored his 2 pound weights. We figured there was just a higher demand for one pound weights in the area during that time.

Hope you have a great trip!

Personally, I would recommend checking in your carry-on bag if it weights anywhere over 25#. At 50#, that overhead compartment might just collapse if there were a few more people stuffing 50# bags on it. Yes, it might be convenient for some folks but it will pose a serious risk of injury for you and others.

I know, Joe - but blame the airlines for their greed. Charging for the second bag might be reasonable, but charging for all checked bags is not. A plane ticket should allow at least one checked free; just build the cost into quote ticket prices and stop suckering people with lower fares but high penalties.

And overweight bags should not be $200 just for going over 50#. Charge the same as a second bag: $25-35.

I know, Joe - but blame the airlines for their greed. Charging for the second bag might be reasonable, but charging for all checked bags is not. A plane ticket should allow at least one checked free; just build the cost into quote ticket prices and stop suckering people with lower fares but high penalties.

And overweight bags should not be $200 just for going over 50#. Charge the same as a second bag: $25-35.

Greed is one way to describe the airlines Don, I have a few other choice words to describe them but this is a family forum.

I agree with you, Don. It is a bird-brained idea for airlines to charge for checked luggage among other things. Instead of raising airfares, they are giving an illusion that airfares are still low and then ding the passenger for checked luggage, emergency exit seats, meals, etc.

Yes, the airline industry is a very greedy bunch. However, you can also blame the union employees who demand too much in terms of pay/ benefits, and the paying customers that voice their disgust (they just pay up and clam up).

Back
Top Bottom