AIR2 or similar, whats your experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I currently use the Aqualung version of the Air2, they call it the AirSource 2 (I think there's an AirSource 3 now, but whatever). .

There is an airsource 3 and it is a balanced reg that breaths as good as a couple of the other regs I have tried.

If the Air2 is so great how come you do not hear of people switching from a bungeed backup to it? Only the other way around, and everyone who has done so says they feel the bungeed backup is far superior! Hmmm...makes you wonder doesn't it?

If bungee backup is so great then how come the bulk of the scuba divers don't use it?

It's not the equipment that's limiting, it's the diver. If you think that strapping on a bungee backup somehow make you a better rescue diver than a person who has an inline octo but practices with it religiously, then there's a beach front property in Arizona I would like to sell you.

Just because short hose/long hose work great for tech diving, it doesn't mean that it a must-have for rec diving.

If bungee backup is so great then how come the bulk of the scuba divers don't use it?
How come the bulk of divers blindly follow their DM's around in the tropics?

How come many go to the local LDS for advice?

Since when is a bungeed backup tech? Tech divers do rec dives.

fnfalman, have you done a drill of going to the surface using your octo inflator?

I will agree no matter what setup you use practicing with it is important.

It's not the equipment that's limiting, it's the diver. If you think that strapping on a bungee backup somehow make you a better rescue diver than a person who has an inline octo but practices with it religiously, then there's a beach front property in Arizona I would like to sell you.

Just because short hose/long hose work great for tech diving, it doesn't mean that it a must-have for rec diving.

fnfal, quick question off topic, do you actually have an fnfal rifle? Something very cool about those!

Just because you encounter someone that uses an AIR2 or similiar and doesn't know how to use it doesn't mean the gear is unsafe, the user is.

I recently went diving with a DIR diver and at the surface was asked "How do I inflate this smb" I figured it out and blew into it. go figure... really...

How come the bulk of divers blindly follow their DM's around in the tropics?

And how many of them are dead?
How come many go to the local LDS for advice?
Where else should they go for advices? Scubaboard? Oh yeah, we're a real unbiased bunch.:shakehead:

Since when is a bungeed backup tech? Tech divers do rec dives.
Since when long hose/short hose rig a standard for rec diving? As far as tech divers do rec dives, well, good for them. They get to enjoy a dive instead of managing gas for a change.

fnfalman, have you done a drill of going to the surface using your octo inflator?

No, I haven't done drill with my inline octo. I just let it hang there and hope that I never have to use it. I even use split fins to kick up silt everywhere I go too.

fnfal, quick question off topic, do you actually have an fnfal rifle? Something very cool about those!

Yes, two: standard and Congo style.:cool2:

I love my Air-2. On a recreational BC it's as minimalist as you can get. One less hose and your backup is right there in your hand if you need it. No hunting around trying to locate your octo. And no big deal donating my primary.

Thanks everyone for your views, its ok if you are biased - as long as you get a couple answers that are not of the same view :)
Since I am a rec diver I think it will work fine for me. And I do intend to practice with it to be safe.

Thanks!

Two things I think are darn near manditory
Longer hose on your primary (mine is 42" routed under my arm)
Practice with it (and make sure your dive buddy knows what to expect in an air share with you)

what I dont like .. it's heavy, and even with a strap or bungee to the BC strap, it hangs down .. I've gotten so I hold it to my body with my hand

Sorry , just saw this thread .. and I'm sure it's been brought up in the thread already

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom