AIR2 or similar, whats your experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krillo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi!

I have seen several people now saying that their purchase of an AIR2 or OCTO-Z has been a let down. Complaining how hard it is to breathe with them, badly fitting mouth piece etc.

That makes me wonder, how often are you in these situations? For me (who was ready to get one for my first BCD) it seems like a neat setup. I never liked the dangle and obtrusion that the octo presents. In the event of helping a distressed diver I would gladly part with my primary 2nd stage and use the AIR2 for live saving purposes.

But seeing how all these people disliked the whole affair with the AIR2 makes me wonder - how often do you find yourselves in these OOA situations? I thought that maybe it would be a once or twice in a life time experience...?

Anyone who wants to share some experience about AIR2, OCTO-Z etc....

Well frankly I don't like them at all, but I'll try to be balanced here...

how often do you find yourselves in these OOA situations? I thought that maybe it would be a once or twice in a life time experience...?

I don't think frequency is the issue. If it happens, you want it to be as least stressful as possible for both parties and yield the desired result ie you both get out of the situation okay

The most important aspect of that is both people (you and your buddy on that dive) being prepared for the event, which means practicing whatever form of donation is required for the gear that you choose to use

So, my question to you would be, what is the advantage of using an Air2/etc, and is it worth it?

It seems from your post that you are comparing a conventional octo setup to a combined octo/inflator - there are other options you should consider eg long hose

There are plenty of threads here debating the pros and cons of the various methods

There are probably situations that you haven't envisioned yet

I am sure there will be mixed response on this. I do believe a regular oct would be the least stressfull in the event of an ooa situation. Being that your buddy's first instinct might be to grab your octo, and if it is not there, grab your primary right out of your mouth. With that said, I use an air 2 on both my set ups. I love not having the extra hose, and have never had to use it, but figure the slight inconvenience is not that major. If you choose to get an air2, when you dive, be sure your buddy is aware of this, so they know how to handle an ooa accordingly.

My experience of over 18 years with my AIR2.
It is a good reg, I have used it at 100+ ft breathes fine. Like you I would donate my primary, and switch to the AIR2, I have practised it, no problems, my buddy knows the system so no issues.
Down side, if it fails on vacation you have a problem, your need to rent a BC, an inflator hose, and secondary octo. A bit of a pain. This has only happened once, my fault for not going to the pool before vacation.

I am replacing my AIR2 with a small standard octo on a short hose and will still donate my primary, but I will not be going for a very long primary.

Before I finish, just a thought on the long primary. If you have a 9ft primary and a OOA diver, grab a hold before you donate. If they panic and head for the surface you will have a big big problem getting them under control. They are out of reach above you and finning like mad with both hands holding your primary in their mouth. At this point you are just a sea anchor with a gas bottle. :confused:

Before I finish, just a thought on the long primary. If you have a 9ft primary and a OOA diver, grab a hold before you donate. If they panic and head for the surface you will have a big big problem getting them under control

9 foot hose? Never seen that

Anyway, have you tried a long hose donation?

Truly it's no different, and in fact OOA/low/air share can be better managed - or just as well - with a 'long' hose (usally 5 or 7 foot) and proper training than with a standard octo or Air2

My experience has been most of the students I work with that are sporting an Air2 type rig just don't know how to use it. In the Scientific Diver course I assist with every year we review air sharing, buddy breathing and use of the alternate air source. Darn near every time the divers with the inflation hose mounted regulators try to donate the inflation hose and end up with their buddy so close it looks like two octopuses that are sucking face. :shocked2:

So I am not a big fan of those things. I also started training on a rebreather and the standard rental BC attached to the units the instructor provides have a pony regulator, the standard bail-out mouth piece "and" one of those BC hose mounted things. Talk about too many choices if you need air! :confused:

In regard to krillo's comment about "dangling octos" - cilp your gear off to your rig and reduce the amount of free hanging items. Its not rocket science and there are a bizillion different clips available for you to control your equipment.

My experience of over 18 years with my AIR2.
It is a good reg, I have used it at 100+ ft breathes fine. Like you I would donate my primary, and switch to the AIR2, I have practised it, no problems, my buddy knows the system so no issues.
Down side, if it fails on vacation you have a problem, your need to rent a BC, an inflator hose, and secondary octo. A bit of a pain. This has only happened once, my fault for not going to the pool before vacation.

I am replacing my AIR2 with a small standard octo on a short hose and will still donate my primary, but I will not be going for a very long primary.

Before I finish, just a thought on the long primary. If you have a 9ft primary and a OOA diver, grab a hold before you donate. If they panic and head for the surface you will have a big big problem getting them under control. They are out of reach above you and finning like mad with both hands holding your primary in their mouth. At this point you are just a sea anchor with a gas bottle. :confused:

As for having to rent a reg and bc, I still carry my original octo, inflator and hose as part of my save a dive kit. A few minutes and I'm good to go, in the event the air2 fails.

Well, frankly I do like them. I use an Air2, as does everybody I dive with. Since we all have them & done OOA's with them. my opinion is that they are just as effective as using an octo.....
& yes. we pass our primary & use the Air2 for ourselves....

I never liked the dangle and obtrusion that the octo presents.

What dangle and obtrusion?

rhea_cayman-singletanks066.jpg

A bunjeed backup and a primary on a well routed long hose are as streamlined as you can get.

I used to dive an alternate air source and ditched it for the above rig. I found the alternate air source/octo combo to be a sloppy breather, a pain to maintain and not really something I'd want to be breathing and controlling my buoyancy with in an emergency situation.

Well, frankly I do like them. I use an Air2, as does everybody I dive with. Since we all have them & done OOA's with them. my opinion is that they are just as effective as using an octo.....
& yes. we pass our primary & use the Air2 for ourselves....

I think it's great that you're comfortable with passing your primary, really. That's a great skill to have, and it makes you a better diver IMO

Can I ask you this:

Have you considered long hose?

What do you see as the advantages of Air2 vs long hose?

When you say OOA, do you mean drills or actual OOA?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom