AIR2 or similar, whats your experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps, but that does nothing to change the fact that a standard reg is an obvious, and superior choice to an alternate airsource/inflator with failure points.

First off, it's not a fact - just your opinion, which I do respect BTW.

Are there better solutions? Certainly in cave or wreck diving but for the basic run-of-the-mill recreational non-confined space diving the AIR2 (or similar) octo's is a good choice and a personal one as it is not the device being shared.

Would you refuse to dive with a diver that sported one? I would not.

Depends on how you look at it. Would I rather have an extra octo and hose that could possibly come out of the bungee and get stuck or tangled somewhere behind my head where I can't find it? In all honesty, can you say that the octo always stays in the bungee and has never come out?

Yes I can, I tie my own and can assure you it has not and will not come out. As for getting stuck or tangled behind your head, huh? You're clearly not familiar with the gear configuration judging from this statement.

First off, it's not a fact - just your opinion, which I do respect BTW.

Are there better solutions? Certainly in cave or wreck diving but for the basic run-of-the-mill recreational non-confined space diving the AIR2 (or similar) octo's is a good choice and a personal one as it is not the device being shared.

Would you refuse to dive with a diver that sported one? I would not.

As I've said, I used to dive one before I realized there was a far superior rig out there. I personally see way more wrong with the alternate air sources than I see right with them. Truth be told, after spending years diving a combo inflator/octo, I see absolutely no benefits to them whatsoever, only glaring negatives.

As I've said, I used to dive one before I realized there was a far superior rig out there. I personally see way more wrong with the alternate air sources than I see right with them. Truth be told, after spending years diving a combo inflator/octo, I see absolutely no benefits to them whatsoever, only glaring negatives.
One more question: How many times did you actually have to resort to using the combo in an emergency situation?

One more question: How many times did you actually have to resort to using the combo in an emergency situation?

Thankfully never, the only true OOA rescue I've ever had to do was just a couple of weeks after switching to the new rig. When I had time to reflect and absorb what happened I was extremely thankful I didn't have the extra taskloading of breathing and controlling my buoyancy with the same device as the diver I rescued was extremely panicked and I had my hands full. The 7' hose was a blessing as it made him easier to control without having him yanking on a shorter hose. Could I have rescued him with an Air II? Absolutely, but a superior rig sure was nice when the **** hit the fan.

Thankfully never, the only true OOA rescue I've ever had to do was just a couple of weeks after switching to the new rig. When I had time to reflect and absorb what happened I was extremely thankful I didn't have the extra taskloading of breathing and controlling my buoyancy with the same device as the diver I rescued was extremely panicked and I had my hands full. The 7' hose was a blessing as it made him easier to control without having him yanking on a shorter hose. Could I have rescued him with an Air II? Absolutely, but a superior rig sure was nice when the **** hit the fan.

I glad you rescued the diver and everything turned out fine. But just because you consider it too much task-loading does not automatically make it too much for a diver that has practiced using one, does it?

I glad you rescued the diver and everything turned out fine. But just because you consider it too much task-loading does not automatically make it too much for a diver that has practiced using one, does it?

Too much taskloading? Perhaps not. Unecessary task loading? Absolutely.

Last edited:
I used the Air2 for several years and then recently switched to the long hose/ bungeed back-up and I am much more comfortable with this setup. Shortly after making the change I did encounter an out-of-air (200 psi) diver at 100' on the Spiegel - brought him to the surface on the long hose, leisurely and without stress or further difficulty. This arrangement is actually a much closer, more streamlined fit than the standard hose with the Air2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom