Air2 or Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool_hardware52:
Hey Albion,

Please note I didn't say it was impossible, or your gunna die, or any such nonsense, just not my first choice.

Tobin

fair enough you were just first in line for the punches :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

msandler:
Strictly recreational IMO. As long as you (or your ooa buddy) can bail to the surface, go ahead and use it. One less hose and most dive operators accept it in place of "octo". You will probably want to investigate an Air integrated hoseless computer too. Don't be surprised at the gentle stream of bubbles eminating from the A2. I've seen (corrected) this two different times (diferent divers/units) on the same dive boat.

yes some designs are a bit free flow esq, now using a sea quest air source works very well and not much bigger than a standar dinflator, much better than the other designs

The AIR 2 is pretty sweet from a "one less hose" standpoint, which is why you see it in such widespread use in the tropics and/or exotic warmwater dive travel destinations. It can be a bit finicky, but a proper tuneup can fix that. They breathe great, you can verify that by running searches on this very board. The AIR 2 debate is extremely popular, to say the least. It's probably not a good idea to use an alternate inflator reg for technical or cave diving, and it does not conform to DIR philosophy either. Then again all of these represent niche markets in recreational diving, constituting less than 5% of divers.

Personally I use an AIR 2 and a long 6 foot primary, and the only hassles I've had were with the primary, not the AIR 2. I only wish ScubaPro would make a more streamlined model, and use a normal sized inflator hose. There are other models of alternate inflation regs out there now that are both smaller and use standard hoses, I believe. They just rarely get mentioned on scubaboard. Poo.

Hi,

I use a 7' hose for my primary, and a short hose with the second stage on a necklace for both recreational and technical diving. Having the same setup for both is a good idea, I always know where any piece of gear is.

The idea of an AirII or similar has always seemed to me not to be a good idea. If you are in a real situation where your buddy is out of air you will be breathing from the AirII and your buddy will be very close to you because he will be using your primary. I would expect that if you go the AirII route you will keep a standard length hose on your primary so your buddy will be really close to you. The logistics of the situation seem to make for more trouble than it is worth. You will be very close to your buddy and dealing with a stressful situation, remember you will need to control your bouyancy, check your depth guage, all of the tasks you normally have while diving, all while managing the problem that put you in this situation in the first place. If you buddy is completely out of air he may be so stressed you will need to manage his bouyancy as well, plan on some considerable task loading!

If you have a 7' hose you will have the option of getting a little distance between you and your freaked out buddy, you will still need to stay in physical contact but you will have the distance you need to look at the bigger picture. I have found that the length of the 7' hose disappears when it is properly routed, frankly I don't notice it and the short hose with the bungee also becomes second nature quickly. I like this configuration, and would not switch back to my old "recreational" set up.

Remember that the reason you carry an alternate air source is for use in an emergency. This should be the situation you think about when you select your gear configuration. If you will be comfortable with an AirII then that will be fine for you, if however you decide that the 7' hose with the backup on a short hose and necklace is your choice then configure your gear that way.

Mark Vlahos

I stronggly support what Mark has just said. A 7ft hose and a top quality second stage on a necklace is a much superior system. As Mark says once you establish the way you route the long hose it is second nature and the one on your neck is the easiest to find when needed.

I was just practicing OOA drills with my 16 year old Saturday and he had the standard 36 " octo hose. It works but when we went to my 7 ft hose it was much better, and this was a controlled situation. I have since bought a 7 ft hose for him as well.

Gary

I dive the Tusa IR3 ( pretty much the same thing as the Air 2). I am ordering a longer hose for my primary and plan on using a pony for any dives deeper than 50 feet. I plan on putting the pony reg on a necklace so i know where it is at all times and donating the primary with the long hose. This way i'll have a complete backup system, the longer hose, and my "AIR 2" type reg for a backup.

I figure if i get in an OOA situation i'll have the option of using my pony if i find that dealing with the Air 2 and controlling buoyancy is too much work. I do practice using the air 2 while sharing air and maintaining proper buoyancy on a regular basis and have no problems. However in a real OOA situation things are different and since i plan on having the pony for obvious redundancy reasons, i know i can switch to it. As soon as i get the pony rig i'll be practicing with it also. Just my $0.02

Like others have said, definitely an octo. When I started, I had an Air II. I've since switched. It is a matter of opinion, but just try the drill using a 7' hose sometime if you can find someone to loan you the gear. It works sooooooo much better.

Hi, just got NAUI O/W certified, and looking to make my 1st reg purchase. I've been sucking up as much knowledge in this wonderful forum as much as possible, before deciding on what to buy. I like the 7' hose plus bungied octo idea, but I've never seen this configuration on anyone, and I'd really like to get an idea how to do it. If someone has a pic, can you post it, or can you go into more detail about how to route the 7' primary hose, and how exactly the octo is attached to your neck/under chin? Sorry for this really newbie question but the more detailed the explanation, the better to help me out. Thanks in advance.

Omicron:
Like others have said, definitely an octo. When I started, I had an Air II. I've since switched. It is a matter of opinion, but just try the drill using a 7' hose sometime if you can find someone to loan you the gear. It works sooooooo much better.

Albion:
fair enough you were just first in line for the punches :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Still don't get it, a DM that is promoting the use of an AIR2, c'mon now.........

I don't know what kind of BC you use, ie BP/W or regular jacket type. So, I am going to tell you how I do it with my BP/W since that is what I dive with.

Typically, the hose comes off the first stage and routes down along your right side, then tucked under/behind your cannister light or weight pocket or some other thing you have hanging on your harness which can be used to hold the hose. From that point, the hose crosses below your waist belt in front of you then comes up along your left front area. Finally, the hose loops around your neck from left to right, leaving the second stage hanging on your right. From there, you just place the second stage in your mouth and go blow some bubbles.

As for the octo on the bungess, this is on a much shorter hose and comes off your first stage then over your right shoulder/upper arm and hangs under your chin. It is held in place by some surgical tubing around the second stage mouth piece and your neck. Normally, the tubing is short enough that you can reach the mouth piece with your mouth and not have to use your hand to place it in your mouth but is not required to be that short.

Actually, there is NOTHING that is "required" about any configuration. You set up your gear however it works for you, keeps you safe, and is comfortable for you to use.

Hope this helps.

Brian
guymenton:
Hi, just got NAUI O/W certified, and looking to make my 1st reg purchase. I've been sucking up as much knowledge in this wonderful forum as much as possible, before deciding on what to buy. I like the 7' hose plus bungied octo idea, but I've never seen this configuration on anyone, and I'd really like to get an idea how to do it. If someone has a pic, can you post it, or can you go into more detail about how to route the 7' primary hose, and how exactly the octo is attached to your neck/under chin? Sorry for this really newbie question but the more detailed the explanation, the better to help me out. Thanks in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom