Air2 or Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChickenBone

Registered
Reaction score
(hopefully this is in the right section)
I'm in the process of buying a new setup (bp&w), and I'm curious to hear people's opinions on which they prefer: the Air2 setup or the Octo. By even asking this question, you can probably tell I'm not DIR, and I also know that there are enormous differences in opinion on this topic. But, i've found the overwhelming majority of posts on this board to be very, very informative. Guess I'd just like to hear other's thoughts on it.

Most people I see around here use the Air2 (or Atomic SS, or 'insert brand name here'). seems like the octo might make more sense, but most folks around here use the Air2 setup.

also, out of curiosity, are there any non-DIR folks out there using the long hose setup with the backup around the neck? seems logical, but i've never tried it. thanks,

Search on this subject will produce the answer you are looking for. AIR2 becomes a hassle during OOA acends and buddy breathing. Go with the OCTO.

ChickenBone:
I'm in the process of buying a new setup (bp&w), and I'm curious to hear people's opinions on which they prefer: the Air2 setup or the Octo. By even asking this question, you can probably tell I'm not DIR, and I also know that there are enormous differences in opinion on this topic. But, i've found the overwhelming majority of posts on this board to be very, very informative. Guess I'd just like to hear other's thoughts on it.

Most people I see around here use the Air2 (or Atomic SS, or 'insert brand name here'). seems like the octo might make more sense, but most folks around here use the Air2 setup.

also, out of curiosity, are there any non-DIR folks out there using the long hose setup with the backup around the neck? seems logical, but i've never tried it. thanks,

Dear Chickenbone,

Lots of folks using a 7 ft hose aren't DIR, most maybe. 7ft hose and a bungied backup have been around a long time.

Regarding Air2 etc. Think about trying to breath off the Air2 while also trying to manage your buoyancy during an OOA emergency. Kinda busy, not my first choice.

Regards,

Tobin

I use the 7 ft hose and the bungeed octo. I am definately not DIR, I smoke. As for the Air2, I can't figure out how one could possibly handle an OOA ascent or for that matter ascending and breathing from it at the same time, regardless of the reason. Also, using the Air2 assumes you have a shorter hose on your primary which makes for close quarters on an ascent anyway. That in itself is why I use the 7ft hose.

my .02 worth

i have an air 2 on my older bc and i've never used it, i've been lucky.
but i bought an octo a few days ago as i think the air 2 is useless.

you need to have it serviced like a regular second stage, it's short and you only have a choice of giving your buddy your primary second stage, most likely your hose will be too short. another thing is buoyancy, you don't want to have to fuss around your mouth piece while doing a low-on-air accent.
and in an emergency your buddy can choose to take either your octo or your mouth piece. in the air 2 case he will need your primary air source leaving both of you without air for a short time.
and if i'm not mistaken some air 2s take the air from your jacket. gross! your west is a haven for bacteria, you do not want to breath that in. ugh.
i'd go for the octo and forget the air 2. if it's on the jacket anyhow, why not, then you have 3 options if something else goes wrong. but for safety i wouldn't pay extra for it.

ChickenBone:

First, while I can't claim to be a DIR trained diver, I have been exposed to some of their philosopies. One of their core beliefs rests in the concept of team diving and a consistant practice routine meant to reinforce team diving. The 7 foot hose and bungied back-up configuration implies that you are going to donate your primary (the one on the 7 foot hose) to your OOA buddy and breath yourself from your bungied back-up. A 7 foot hose is a good length for divers to use if swimming single file to exit a wreck or tight spot in a cave without pulling the reg out of a diver's mouth. With an Air2, you would still be donating your primary but now trying to manage not only your air supply but likely bouyancy for the team from a single hose. If you insist on an Air2 then it will take some work on your part as BP&W manufacturers don't usually make regs or offer these as an option. The reason you see a lot of Air2's is because the dive shops in your area like to sell them to divers. If you don't do a lot of diving or spend much time thinking about your gear and training then they probably look like a good solution to a non existant problem. Tech divers tend to approach each breath underwater like it could be their last and train for all contingiencies in case it is. If Air2's were a better solution in a cave then a bungied back up, rest assured that they would be standard equipment on Halcyon wings. Incidently, I use a bungied back up and underwater it is so unnoticible you will forget it's there.

I think a 7 foot hose is great in a cave. Now with that settled, let me assure you I'm going nowhere near an underwater cavern.

I've got a Atomic SS1 and it works just fine. I've breathed off it and practiced surfaced while doing so and didn't rocket to the surface.

Now I don't wear more than a 1mil wetsuit with 16lbs in salt and I never have more than a single squirt of air in my wing. If I were diving with a thick wetsuit or drysuit or going into a wreck, I would never consider it. I saved my standard inflator and would get an octo for such situations.

more Air2 false hoods

cool_hardware52:
Dear Chickenbone,
Regarding Air2 etc. Think about trying to breath off the Air2 while also trying to manage your buoyancy during an OOA emergency. Kinda busy, not my first choice.
Regards,

Tobin
Actually not that hard, take out of mouth, vent, put back in.

brianwl:
I use the 7 ft hose and the bungeed octo. I am definately not DIR, I smoke. As for the Air2, I can't figure out how one could possibly handle an OOA ascent or for that matter ascending and breathing from it at the same time, regardless of the reason. Also, using the Air2 assumes you have a shorter hose on your primary which makes for close quarters on an ascent anyway. That in itself is why I use the 7ft hose.
my .02 worth
Wrong you could still have a 7 ft hose primary which is the one you donate
underwater daphne:
you need to have it serviced like a regular second stage, it's short and you only have a choice of giving your buddy your primary second stage, most likely your hose will be too short. another thing is buoyancy, you don't want to have to fuss around your mouth piece while doing a low-on-air accent.
and in an emergency your buddy can choose to take either your octo or your mouth piece. in the air 2 case he will need your primary air source leaving both of you without air for a short time.
and if i'm not mistaken some air 2s take the air from your jacket. gross! your west is a haven for bacteria, you do not want to breath that in. ugh.
i'd go for the octo and forget the air 2. if it's on the jacket anyhow, why not, then you have 3 options if something else goes wrong. but for safety i wouldn't pay extra for it.
no it doesnt come out of your jacket, probably the reason you think its useless is becuase you didnt figure out how it worked. The fact it needs servicing is one of the plusses becuase your inflator is also cleaned and serviced at the same time. The most common failure of equipment i have seen is stuck inflators, so servicing this every year helps prevent the problem. Also if you had a long 5 or 7 ft primary then the OOA diver is still comfortable.

yknot:
First, while I can't claim to be a DIR trained diver, I have been exposed to some of their philosopies. One of their core beliefs rests in the concept of team diving and a consistant practice routine meant to reinforce team diving. The 7 foot hose and bungied back-up configuration implies that you are going to donate your primary (the one on the 7 foot hose) to your OOA buddy and breath yourself from your bungied back-up. A 7 foot hose is a good length for divers to use if swimming single file to exit a wreck or tight spot in a cave without pulling the reg out of a diver's mouth. With an Air2, you would still be donating your primary but now trying to manage not only your air supply but likely bouyancy for the team from a single hose. If you insist on an Air2 then it will take some work on your part as BP&W manufacturers don't usually make regs or offer these as an option. The reason you see a lot of Air2's is because the dive shops in your area like to sell them to divers. If you don't do a lot of diving or spend much time thinking about your gear and training then they probably look like a good solution to a non existant problem. Tech divers tend to approach each breath underwater like it could be their last and train for all contingiencies in case it is. If Air2's were a better solution in a cave then a bungied back up, rest assured that they would be standard equipment on Halcyon wings. Incidently, I use a bungied back up and underwater it is so unnoticible you will forget it's there.
first with an Air2 you also donate the primary so thi sfollows your philosophy. Next part implies you are diving with single tanks inside a wreck or signifcant overhead, this is imho a bigger no no than using an Air2.

I have a backplate which i use for single and now twin tank diving. My singles wing is equiped with an Air2 and a single primary on long hose (shortly), my twins set up uses independant 1st and 2nd stages. For tech and Rec diving i use different setups, dont confuse the two. For most rec diving an Air 2 is suitable and certainly an improvement over the conventional arrangement of donating a slighlty longer hose which is usually stuffed in a pocket.

Strictly recreational IMO. As long as you (or your ooa buddy) can bail to the surface, go ahead and use it. One less hose and most dive operators accept it in place of "octo". You will probably want to investigate an Air integrated hoseless computer too. Don't be surprised at the gentle stream of bubbles eminating from the A2. I've seen (corrected) this two different times (diferent divers/units) on the same dive boat.

Albion:
more Air2 false hoods

Actually not that hard, take out of mouth, vent, put back in.

Hey Albion,

Please note I didn't say it was impossible, or your gunna die, or any such nonsense, just not my first choice.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom