Air break on rebreather, how to proceed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We know why, lol.
You're not working in a chamber. Your sac rate is probably .25. You're expending zero energy, except during vent, you're nice and toasty warm and hydrated.

Otherwise, you're likely swimming, shoveling, pressure washing, cutting/burning, etc, etc etc. All of them causing at best just a slightly elevated heart rate.

IIRC, and it's been a few years since I was chamber riding with Dr. Pollock at Duke, but I seem to remember him saying that they tested resting in warm water but submersed. I think NEDU did that study at some point, but they tried to minimize variables to get to just dry vs. wet

@Akimbo when they did the tests at high ppO2 in the chamber while riding stationary bicycles, were they toxing like working underwater?

AFAIK, there were quite a few tests that could apply. Some tests over decades were specifically on OxTox while others were tangential -- breathing resistance, cold water tests, blood chemistry, etcetera.

As I recall, they started using stationary bikes long before I joined the Navy. I understand they choose the stationary bike because it was easier to log work load measurements while minimizing other variables.

Back
Top Bottom