AI transmitter & spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mildlystoic

Registered
Reaction score
I know you need one if you want to add a short HP hose between the transmitter and the first stage, but do you need one if you screw directly on the first stage?

Now I just upgraded from Suunto Vyper Novo to Teric (each with their own transmitter). I already have the spool and the short hose on the Suunto transmitter, which I intend to use it with Shearwater's instead. I'm going to keep the Vyper but intend to sell the transmitter,.. is it save for the future buyer to just screw in the transmitter right into their first stage? It's been awhile but iirc, LDS tech did pull like half a spool out of the transmitter and put in this double ended thing with 2 o-rings when they install the short hose, but I'm not sure.

Thanks. the o-ring is the larger one on the outer side right? not the super tiny one on the spool?

Yes, the required o-ring is the larger one on the transmitter. The spool is removed from the transmitter so that it can thread into the first stage. Please note that many folks recommend the short hp hose for the transmitter so that it is not used as a handle by other people who are trying to help you with your gear.

I think you are asking about reselling a Suunto transmitter, right? That "half spool" you noticed is a flow restrictor that was installed in ALL Suunto transmitters as part of the product recall from last year. It is NOT okay to just install directly into the first stage without it. While the actual risk of doing that may be minimal, it was enough for Suunto to recall EVERY transmitter they had ever sold to test and modify. Don't pass that risk down to the purchaser of your used item.

I'm not familiar with the Suunto recall. It sounds like in this case a tech removed the "half spool" and installed a full spool for use with an hp hose. I guess you need to get the half spool back from the shop if they did not give it to you (or it has been misplaced).

Hi guys,

I serviced my transmitter under Suunto recall programme. Everything went quick nice and smooth. Suunto provide me with two flow restrictors, one for direct mount of the transmitter to the first stage and other for hose mount. Do you know what is the difference between Suunto flow restrictors and other swivels available on the market? My first impression is that Suunto flow restrictors have much smaller hole on the transmitter side, but I can't see any other differences. Obviously they are polarised as shown in the manual. Do you have more information on the topic?

Good luck to you all!

Safe dives.

P.S. I've attached two photos showing the new flow restrictors. Form left to right is: Suunto hose flow restrictor, Suunto first stage flow restrictor and the last one on the right is my old swivel.

Regards,
Nick
This other thread has a photo of the flow restrictor for use at the 1st stage port - it is the one in the middle. I am less clear whether or not there is anything unique about the Suunto spool/restrictor when used with a HP hose, versus using just any HP hose spool. I would advise getting clarification from Suunto before using just any HP spool that fits - that is not something I would want to assume is okay.

My understanding is that they had a couple of transmitters where an interior part of the sensor failed to contain the pressure and allowed it to pass to the battery compartment, blowing the plastic cap out. The recall changed the interior part, and added the flow restrictor.

Thanks. the o-ring is the larger one on the outer side right? not the super tiny one on the spool?

Yes, the o'ring that came installed on the transmitter, the larger one not the spool one.

For the OP you should probably get the flow restrictors specific for the transmitter. Not my picture (see #67) but from the recall thread there are two different ones. One is a spool used when connecting to a hose (left) and one is for when connecting to a first stage (center). On the right is one form of a typical spool.

If connecting directly to the first stage the o-ring used is the same one used for a HP port plug.

img_0757-jpg.419744.jpg

Ah see, I think the LDS pull out that middle one,.. it's what I meant by half a spool. what is it called?

Also do I need to grease the spool?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom