AI computer vs computer & mechanical spg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

I've been working on getting my first set of gear. I've recently been looking into getting my spg and computer. I'm a bit budget constrained and was planning on getting something like a low cost spg with a used computer like a cressi leonardo, mares puck pro, aqualung i200, etc. I realized that there are plenty of AI computers, such as the suunto cobra or oceanic pro plus models, used on eBay for low prices.

I like the idea of having AI features such as low pressure warnings, est. remaining time, etc.

I'm curious on everyone's opinions on these. Is it better or worse rely on an AI computer vs. a mechanical spg? Is one more reliable than the other? Is one option easier to travel with?

Thanks!

Seems like everyone has moved on with tangental discussions, but IMO: just get a mechanical SPG and call it a day. Your computer should be on your wrist (AI is a plus, but not necessary if funds are low).

The only time I'd expect a huge console with a computer is on rental gear. My 10-year olds' setup consists of an SPG, which he has to check semi-regularly and report his readings to me and a Mares Smart Pro wrist computer, which he wears for depth/time readings.

In the future if you get more serious/advanced you'll probably want to invest in a Perdix AI and you can keep your cheap computer on your left wrist as a backup.

Not even Shearwaters are immune to failure. I had the screen die on me after about a year. They took care of it (great service) but it would have left me hanging had i been relying on it during a trip (or a big dive).

Analog pressure gauges are far less prone to problems. I carry a cheap backup computer in my pocket and have a second spg on the boat.

I am not into caves or orther overheads but if i were, i would want the most reliable technology for monitoring gas supply.
If you dive a lot, you will have some problems. My family had some old Oceanic Pro Plus 2s where the pressure sensor eventually went out. They were replaced by Oceanic for $175, they are still in service today, my wife and daughter love them.

My Teric has failed 4 times, black screen, AI antenna, battery, and AI antenna. Service from Shearwater has been superlative. The Teric has had its problems. Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

If you dive a lot, you will have some problems. My family had some old Oceanic Pro Plus 2s where the pressure sensor eventually went out. They were replaced by Oceanic for $175, they are still in service today, my wife and daughter love them.

My Teric has failed 4 times, black screen, AI antenna, battery, and AI antenna. Service from Shearwater has been superlative. The Teric has had its problems. Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?
I dive at least 100 dives a year so i do get my share of problems, naturally. But i try to minimize issues that will prevent me from diving. I cant remember the last time i missed a dive for gear issues. Knock on wood!

With that track record on the Teric i wouldnt depend on it at all. Great service only partially mitigates that level of unreliability in my book.

I dive at least 100 dives a year so i do get my share of problems, naturally. But i try to minimize issues that will prevent me from diving. I cant remember the last time i missed a dive for gear issues. Knock on wood!

With that track record on the Teric i wouldnt depend on it at all. Great service only partially mitigates that level of unreliability in my book.
I keep thinking that I've finally gotten a good one :). It's a great computer.

I started diving in the early 90's, just as computers were catching on, but consoles were the norm. so that's what I "grew up on." When hose-less AI popped up my mentor in the industry said "I'll pass. I spent the first 20 years strapping a bunch of crap to my arms. I'll keep the console...all-in-one and done!" That probably had an outsized impact on my preferences too. I still prefer an AI with hose, tucked under my arm. But everyone gets used to whatever is "normal" for them. And, if finances are limited, even the cheapest (reputable) options available these days will suffice for a safe dive.

Kinda like this, if I had lots of money that I didn't know what to do with,
But I am old school and do like things mechanical if possible,,
My first brass and glass gauge is still in use, at high pressure it's out by 200-300 psi but very accurate at the low end,

I use the Digital Cressi along with my AI Perdix. Not had an issue with either both are easy to read which is one reason I like them.
Both are not cheap so for the OP a cheap analogue SPG would suffice.

I don't think there are any AI consoles or consoles running Buhlmann, are there? I guess there is the Peregrine console :)

Is there a console version of the Peregrine? It's design isn't all that different than the old Aladin computers that came in wrist or console, so there could be.

Is there a console version of the Peregrine? It's design isn't all that different than the old Aladin computers that came in wrist or console, so there could be.
Sort of. It's not AI, but there is a console version. There is also a version without the Peregrine. That version looks to be a retrofit for existing Peregrine owners using just the SPG and boot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom