AI computer vs computer & mechanical spg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snakekid97

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I've been working on getting my first set of gear. I've recently been looking into getting my spg and computer. I'm a bit budget constrained and was planning on getting something like a low cost spg with a used computer like a cressi leonardo, mares puck pro, aqualung i200, etc. I realized that there are plenty of AI computers, such as the suunto cobra or oceanic pro plus models, used on eBay for low prices.

I like the idea of having AI features such as low pressure warnings, est. remaining time, etc.

I'm curious on everyone's opinions on these. Is it better or worse rely on an AI computer vs. a mechanical spg? Is one more reliable than the other? Is one option easier to travel with?

Thanks!

There are a number of us who cave dive with just transmitters and Shearwater computers. Very few issues. If that doesn’t give you a good idea on Shearwater reliability, I don’t know what does.

Can’t say anything about the other computer manufacturers who do AI.

There are a number of old threads in which the reliability comparison was debated. Old threads. AI has come a long way.

There are a number of us who cave dive with just transmitters and Shearwater computers. Very few issues. If that doesn’t give you a good idea on Shearwater reliability, I don’t know what does.

Can’t say anything about the other computer manufacturers who do AI.
You took a cave class? In FL? Missouri? Mexico? I havent seen a trip or class report and I know you have liked writing those in the past so just a little surprised.

Hi all,

I've been working on getting my first set of gear. I've recently been looking into getting my spg and computer. I'm a bit budget constrained and was planning on getting something like a low cost spg with a used computer like a cressi leonardo, mares puck pro, aqualung i200, etc. I realized that there are plenty of AI computers, such as the suunto cobra or oceanic pro plus models, used on eBay for low prices.

I like the idea of having AI features such as low pressure warnings, est. remaining time, etc.

I'm curious on everyone's opinions on these. Is it better or worse rely on an AI computer vs. a mechanical spg? Is one more reliable than the other? Is one option easier to travel with?

Thanks!
I would strongly recommend you avoid any type of console. They are cheap on ebay because the computer part is dated and the console mounting is something people frequently grow out of.

I would get a plain brass and glass SPG. And a nitrox (even if only certified for air right now) puck wrist mount computer for your right wrist. You won't outgrow those for a long time. Put any money saved towards a nitrox class and as much diving as you can afford.

You are asking about AI via hose to a console. Many of the responses have been about wireless AI to your wrist.

The mechanical SPG seems to be more reliable (i.e., fewer on-line complaints) than the hosed AI devices, although the hosed AI devices in a console are quite reliable. The console IMHO has more disadvantages than advantages, so the simple SPG and simple wrist computer (but at least one that will do Nitrox, and preferably one with more than just one button) will do a nice job for you, for a long time, reliably.

My only advice is to avoid Suunto; the combination of faults, design, and lack of customer service is not desirable.

I’ve never dove with a computer that was not AI. I dove for many years before getting a dive computer.

My first was a console style Oceanic ProPlus 2. Since then, I’ve gone to wrist mount wireless AI. I did not use a separate SPG in either case. Most of my dives are relatively shallow, so direct ascent is not a problem.

I didn’t log with the PP2, but have since then. I don’t recall any issues with the pressure display. Pretty much the same story with the wrist mounts. Though, those are all logged. I seem to recall a few early dives where I lost signal for a bit, but moving the transmitter to the same side as the computer solved that.

I definitely prefer wrist mount, but in your case, I don’t see a problem with a console AI. Bulkier than an SPG, but not terrible.

People tend to conflate AI to mean that a transmitter is being used. There are multiple examples of AI console computers, the most notable being the Suunto Cobra. Which IMHO is one of the better ones, modulo the pressure transducer issue that many Suunto computers had.

For many years my wife liked the AI of her Cobra console as it was all in one and not on her wrist. Mean while I went to a wrist unit with a transmitter. At this point she dives with a wrist unit with a transmitter. (Shameless plug her Cobra is listed in the adverts).

For the OP, I would not shy away from a console computer mostly because having a compass as part of the console is nice. Even though one does not use a compass regularly.

We should be more precise by referring to “wireless AI.”

@Scared Silly , coincidentally my wife had a Suunto Cobra 3, and eventually she switched to a non-AI wrist computer (Shearwater) and brass-and-glass SPG. For years she swore she loved the AI, but after switching she never missed it. Anyway, as for AI versus SPG, just different strokes for different folks.

I just want a mechanical spg, brass and glass, thank you. I look at it before I go in and maybe a couple of times during the dive. Why do I need more?

James

Back
Top Bottom