AI comps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would disagree. I would say at RAT = 0 your butt should be on the boat. It is about how you USE the tool. (Might be why it is 'remaining air time' not 'remaining dive time')
Just like when my SPG says 500 psi my butt should be on the boat, not starting the ascent.

What computer is that? Double check the manual of that computer. All AI I have used, RAT=0 means you need to ascent. And if you ascent at proper rate and do the safety stop, you will reach the boat at the reserved pressure.

And yes, having SPG the same as having AI computer displaying pressure. But think about it, for the way we use the pressure gauge, whether it is brass SPG or AI display, it makes no pratical difference in the dive. Keep in mind, we don't look at, or don't need to look at SPG all the time. So the extra $$ for AI is of no benefit. In return, AI creates a few more potential failure point (although rare). But since no practical benefit, why?? If AI cost no extra $$, I will probably keep it. But for $200-$300 maybe more, I will go without.

---------- Post added December 29th, 2013 at 02:21 AM ----------

I have a Aeris Elite T3 that I have 100's of dives on. I love the wireless feature. I really like the additional information it gives you both in downloading the info at home and while diving. I have had zero failures with the system.

I have the same computer. I started with AI, now just use the wrist unit with AI off in gauge mode. Very good computer IMO. AI failed on me once during live abord. Transmitter battery was out. Not that I didn't replace it, but the replacement was a bad battery. And since I have replaced the battery before the trip, I didn't bring a spare one. You can say it is partially user error. But hey, for my usage, the only additional benefit is SAC profile tracking on log. It is nothing I can't estimate myself, not an essential feature. So I ditched the AI after that trip. In fact, the transmitter is for sale if anyone interested in it.

I love gadgets(just bought a rebreather) but I don't think AI is worth it. It's not like you're unclipping your SPG every two minutes to look at it.

No AI is not worth it. Another failure point. Rely on a simple spg and go with a simple straightforward computer that meets your needs.
With the money you save go diving.

I love my Aeris T3. Having all the information a single glance away is very convenient, and it felt great to ditch the hose and bulky console of an SPG. Any product is subject to malfunctions, but if you look at reviews of the bestselling AI units people losing their signal etc. seem to be the minority, and many enjoy hundreds of dives without issue. With the market for AI expanding, I imagine that in the future the technology will become even more reliable and cheaper, and become a staple of diving computers. Who wants to drive a car that has your speed and gas on completely different interfaces, when you can have it all in the same spot?

If you don't mind checking the SPG then it's probably not worth the extra cash, but if you already spend tons of money on diving then a couple hundred more might not be a big deal.

There are all manner of opinions on what gear is acceptable, I'm a firm believer in a diver deciding on what equipment they want to dive. Contrary to what some would have you believe, the gear you dive is not what will make you a good diver.

Bob
-----------------------------------------
“One thing is for sure you can't lie about your skills when you get in the water. The water tells everything!!! “ Mayor

"If you don't like it, go on the internet and complain." Brian Griffin

heres a quiz: At what PSI should you start an ascent at say 100ft, to get your butt on the boat at 500psi? Maybe your AI comp will tell you that?
Let's see, 100ft is 30m, right? Per min gas calculations, my minimum pressure at 30m and using my 15L tank, is between 90 and 100 bar, depending on my general activity level. And how did I find my SAC rate so I could do proper min gas calculations? Wait for it... By downloading the log from my AI Suunto Cobra for all of my dives and doing a proper evaluation of the numbers.

And unless something scary happens, I'm not going to hit that pressure before I get uncomfortably close to - or over - my NDL. How do I know that? The same way I got my SAC numbers. (EDIT: plus a little bit of math, of course). And how do I read the pressure? On my SPG, which also is my AI computer.

An AI computer is a gadget. I like gadgets, and I like the extra info they give me. Does that mean I'm leaving my brain back on the shore? No. Does that mean I'm relying on a piece of electronics without using my primary computer, the big, grey, mushy stuff inside my skull? No. But without some kind of SPG, I wouldn't have had the numbers I need to be able use my primary computer sensibly. And my AI PDC gives me those numbers in a very neat and effective way.

You don't have to be braindead to use modern technology, and you don't have to be a Luddite to engage your brain.

EDIT2: For some of us, an AI computer is worth it, because we appreciate how it makes some aspects of diving easier, like determining your SAC rate. Or because we're geeks who like to have more data about our diving easily accessible for our logs. Or because we like to hand the responsibility over to a piece of electronics, not having to do the thinking ourselves. However, far from everyone using a gadget like this falls into the last category. I got my AI computer because it came with the used gear I bought when I started diving, and I quickly learned to appreciate the extra info it gave me. For me, it's worth the extra money it'll cost me to replace it with another AI PDC when my current Cobra dies (I'm not so sure it's going to be a wireless one, though, since I'm skeptical to the reliability of a wireless link). My regular buddy has a lot less interest in logging his SAC rate and getting the maximum amount of data for his dive log, though, so for him it's probably not worth it.

Last edited:
My wife and I dive with the Oceanic OC1 with air integrated. Having gone from a standard pressure/depth gauge to a Ai, love it. Having additional tools in the tool box is never a bad thing. One less hose on the octo, easier to travel with and love the amount of data I can download on the back end. (Great for post dive analysis).

We have not had any issues with the receiver not communicating with the watch. They both have been very reliable. At the end of the day I believe it is personal choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the market for a new dive computer. Is air integrated worth it? How reliable is it?

Dive computers with AI are reliable IMO and good for recreational diving. I owned a D9 with transmitter and it never failed once. I also carried a SPG as backup thou.

All dive information is displayed on the computer and this makes it convenient. If it's worth the extra $$$ is debatable IMO. If you have the cash to spend, go ahead but please also carry a SPG. I don't see the the value of thumbing a dive due to possible transmission failures.

Remaining breathing gas and depth information is critical information, make sure it is always available.

I have a Sherwood Wisdom AI computer and love mine. I have several hundred dives on it and have never had any sort of problem. If it failed on my next dive I'd buy a new one. I like having all the info I need during the dive on one piece of equipment. The numbers are large and easy to read. I don't see any practical downside to having it over other types of set-ups.

Whether or not it's worth it to the OP depends on so many factors . . .

I have a recreational setup with an AI computer on my wrist. I like having depth, bottom time, and non-deco time displayed all together where I can take it in at a glance. Occasionally, for more challenging dive plans and conditions, I add an spg as backup.

To the "remaining air time" discussion I will add:

In four hundred hours of diving with my current computer I can't remember even once paying attention to the "remaining air time" display or making a decision based on it. We agree before the dive about our turn pressure and/or rock bottom pressure (factoring in exertion levels when necessary) and it's the pressure I pay attention to, same as I do when diving with an SPG and no AI.

Happy new year,
Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom