AI comps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you please explain to me how this primary works. Tuck the backup in the pocket and do not use it unless your primary fails. How is your brain, and nothing else, going to know how much air you have in your tank?

An AI computer -IS- an SPG. It has the same function.

As I said before- my husband's computer does "remaining air time" with 500 PSI as 0 minutes left. He uses this to plan to be back on the boat with 0 minutes left. How is this any different than me using my SPG and planning to be back on the boat with 500 PSI?

pay me, and ill teach you :wink:

Can you please explain to me how this primary works. Tuck the backup in the pocket and do not use it unless your primary fails. How is your brain, and nothing else, going to know how much air you have in your tank?

An AI computer -IS- an SPG. It has the same function.

In my training, I am taught to 1) understand our own SAC under the common circumstances. 2) During the dive, keep track of our dive profile (part of situation awareness). With this, we are more or less know how much air we are consuming, thus, know what is the PSI in the tank. Then we look at the SPG once a while to make sure we are on track. If the number don't match within some margin, something is going not as planned. Then we make appropriate change. So SPG is more like a backup check which we don't look need to look at all the time.

As I said before- my husband's computer does "remaining air time" with 500 PSI as 0 minutes left. He uses this to plan to be back on the boat with 0 minutes left. How is this any different than me using my SPG and planning to be back on the boat with 500 PSI?

Here is the scenior, at RAT=0, you are supposed to ascent. The computer algorithm should that if you ascent with the properly rate and complete your safety stop, you should reach the surface with the reserve pressure, 500psi in your case. Now, say at RAT=0, you buddy went out air. You and your buddy won't have enough air to ascent at proper rate and complete your safety stop anymore. Depend on your depth, even if you skip safety stop, you may not have enough air to ascent properly.

Now, we have someone who was actually taughthow to dive :D

In my training, I am taught to 1) understand our own SAC under the common circumstances. 2) During the dive, keep track of our dive profile (part of situation awareness). With this, we are more or less know how much air we are consuming, thus, know what is the PSI in the tank. Then we look at the SPG once a while to make sure we are on track. If the number don't match within some margin, something is going not as planned. Then we make appropriate change. So SPG is more like a backup check which we don't look need to look at all the time.
Sure sounds like you still are actually using the SPG. And the AI is no different from the SPG. If you don't like "remaining air time" just look at the pressure, it gives that too. Having the AI computer doesn't mean you shouldn't still have situational awareness about your air useage and dive profile.
Your brain cannot read a tank's pressure, nor can it perfectly tell time, depth, NDL etc. You clearly need to have the all the other dive tools as well.

Here is the scenior, at RAT=0, you are supposed to ascent. The computer algorithm should that if you ascent with the properly rate and complete your safety stop, you should reach the surface with the reserve pressure, 500psi in your case. Now, say at RAT=0, you buddy went out air. You and your buddy won't have enough air to ascent at proper rate and complete your safety stop anymore. Depend on your depth, even if you skip safety stop, you may not have enough air to ascent properly.

I would disagree. I would say at RAT = 0 your butt should be on the boat. It is about how you USE the tool. (Might be why it is 'remaining air time' not 'remaining dive time')
Just like when my SPG says 500 psi my butt should be on the boat, not starting the ascent.

Sure sounds like you still are actually using the SPG. And the AI is no different from the SPG. If you don't like "remaining air time" just look at the pressure, it gives that too. Having the AI computer doesn't mean you shouldn't still have situational awareness about your air useage and dive profile.
Your brain cannot read a tank's pressure, nor can it perfectly tell time, depth, NDL etc. You clearly need to have the all the other dive tools as well.

No one said you don't need an SPG, just not the way you thought you needed. So do you NEED an AI?

I would disagree. I would say at RAT = 0 your butt should be on the boat. It is about how you USE the tool. (Might be why it is 'remaining air time' not 'remaining dive time')
Just like when my SPG says 500 psi my butt should be on the boat, not starting the ascent.

Good but not enough. So heres a quiz: At what PSI should you start an ascent at say 100ft, to get your butt on the boat at 500psi? Maybe your AI comp will tell you that?

1) I don't dive to 100 ft.
2) I don't use AI. But I see it as a tool equal to an SPG. Neither tool does the thinking.

I have a Aeris Elite T3 that I have 100's of dives on. I love the wireless feature. I really like the additional information it gives you both in downloading the info at home and while diving. I have had zero failures with the system.

I have used an air integrated computer in the past (Mares Icon HD Net Ready) and I have had good and bad experiences with it. The good part was that it kept a record of my SAC rate throughout all the dive. So I had a more precise calculation of my SAC than I was able to do and I could see at what part of the dive my consumption had gone up or down. I also had a record of how my consumption varied through time, equipment changes and dive site conditions.

The bad part - and a pretty significant one - was that the transmitter was very unreliable. Before every dive, it would take quite some time to sync it to the computer and I never knew if the operation was going to be successful. My main buddy, who had bought the same computer as me, had the same issues.

Perhaps your AI computer, if you do decide to buy one, is more reliable than mine was. In any case, I would recommend also carrying a mechanical SPG, so that you don't have to abort your dive in case of problems with the transmitter. Which means, in addition, making sure your regulator has two HP ports.

I have an ai computer on a hose and it is reliable. I know several people who have wireless ai computer that are not as reliable because they sometimes lose the signal during a dive.

I find that an ai computer makes it easy to be lazy and dive the computer instead of diving the plan.

I just bought a non ai wrist computer and am going to dump the ai computer.

1) I don't dive to 100 ft.
2) I don't use AI. But I see it as a tool equal to an SPG. Neither tool does the thinking.

Fair enough. But some "tools" are just fluff marketed as tools. :wink: Which goes back to my original comment: If you trained by a typical shop owner who just wanted to sell you stuff, yes its a good deal. On the other hand, if you are trained HOW TO DIVE, you will know what is really a great tool and what is fluff.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom