AI comps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RachelLF

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in the market for a new dive computer. Is air integrated worth it? How reliable is it?

Define "worth it".

Husband has a AI computer Vyper Air and LOVES it. He loves that it tells him his air left, but really likes it tells him his "time to empty" (empty is measured at 500 psi), and likes that it graphs the changes in his SAC when he hooks it up to the PC. It has a number of features my cheaper computer doesn't have- like a backlight, which is handy for a night dive (though it isn't that hard to just shine your flashlight on your computer.)

He has found it very reliable (though he only has 22 dives on it), but if you use the compass on it, it doesn't update the air as often. That is definitely something that could be a problem.

Worth it? Well he got the transmitter included with the price of the computer so it was a good deal- but I don't see how it was worth almost $300 more than my computer. But I'm cheap and not a gadget person. He'd tell you it was worth it.

Depends on how you are trained. If you are trained by shop owners who is interested to sell you the latest gadgets, it is. If trained by someone who actually teaches you HOW TO DIVE as opposed to use scuba equipment, then it is not.

Depends on how you are trained. If you are trained by shop owners who is interested to sell you the latest gadgets, it is. If trained by someone who actually teaches you HOW TO DIVE as opposed to use scuba equipment, then it is not.

Huh? What exactly does using an air integrated computer have to do with your diving skills? I probably wouldn't pay for a transmitter, but I bought a used reg that came with one that happened to work with the computer I was using, so I use it. It's nice to have everything right there, and since I'm looking at my depth/temp/NDL anyway, it saves a glance at my spg (which I still have as a back up) to see air remaining. Not that glancing at my spg is a big deal, but it's one more thing to do and who knows, I might miss spotting some really awesome macro creature while doing it. I have found mine to be very reliable, and have had no problems with losing the connection or it not working.

Using an AI computer has nothing to do with how I was taught to dive (I had a few hundred dives before getting the AI) or how well I dive. Some people are really into gadgets, and enjoy having the latest and greatest. Some don't care. For me it wouldn't be worth the $ to buy one. For others it would be. An AI computer won't make you a better or worse diver, or make the actual diving easy or more difficult. It's a tool, one that some people think is worth having, and others don't.

Huh? What exactly does using an air integrated computer have to do with your diving skills? I probably wouldn't pay for a transmitter, but I bought a used reg that came with one that happened to work with the computer I was using, so I use it. It's nice to have everything right there, and since I'm looking at my depth/temp/NDL anyway, it saves a glance at my spg (which I still have as a back up) to see air remaining. Not that glancing at my spg is a big deal, but it's one more thing to do and who knows, I might miss spotting some really awesome macro creature while doing it. I have found mine to be very reliable, and have had no problems with losing the connection or it not working.

Using an AI computer has nothing to do with how I was taught to dive (I had a few hundred dives before getting the AI) or how well I dive. Some people are really into gadgets, and enjoy having the latest and greatest. Some don't care. For me it wouldn't be worth the $ to buy one. For others it would be. An AI computer won't make you a better or worse diver, or make the actual diving easy or more difficult. It's a tool, one that some people think is worth having, and others don't.

When you are really taught HOW TO DIVE, your SPG is the backup while the primary is your brain. Ditto with computers: Your brain is the primary computer processing data from a timer and a depth gauge and calculate on the fly. Otherwise, you will just depend on the computer which is how most instructor will teach you.

When you missed spotting some awesome macro creature because you are looking at gauges etc, it just meant your situational awareness is not up to par yet; which is determined by how your were taught to dive.

It has everything to do with how you are taught, the only question is, are you taught it?

I like the AI for use with my dive log when I download the information. I still us my SPG as the primary way to confirm how much air I "know" I should have.

It took me a little while to get to that point, but really looking at your SPG you should already know how much air you have. This means you should also know how much till "empty". Because of corse you planned your dive making sure you had adequate gas, then dove your plan right?

AI is not worth it or necessary to me. What I want is a computer that gives me all the info I want and still allows me to screw up if I don't use the one between my ears to plan the dive. So I have a Shearwater.

When you are really taught HOW TO DIVE, your SPG is the backup while the primary is your brain. Ditto with computers: Your brain is the primary computer processing data from a timer and a depth gauge and calculate on the fly. Otherwise, you will just depend on the computer which is how most instructor will teach you.

When you missed spotting some awesome macro creature because you are looking at gauges etc, it just meant your situational awareness is not up to par yet; which is determined by how your were taught to dive.

It has everything to do with how you are taught, the only question is, are you taught it?

I'm still missing how exactly using an AI computer (or a computer at all) automatically means you weren't taught to use your brain or aren't using it. Many people are capable of using a computer AND their brain together. Looking at a computer to double check how much air your brain believes you have is really no different than looking at an SPG to do it. I can generally determine how much air I have left within a hundred PSI or so, but my BRAIN says it's a great idea to double check that with the tools I have available that measure it more precisely. An AI computer is one tool that can do that. You may or may not choose to use the same tools as someone else, but that doesn't necessarily mean you think more or are a better diver, or that someone using one doesn't know HOW TO DIVE.

not worth it and not necessary for me either. I started diving with one, then moved away from it. what I found is the "remaining air time" is only calculated based on you and you alone. If you go with the "remaining air time", and when the time reach zero, your buddy needs share air, you won't have enough for both to get to the surface safely. If you don't go with the computer's gas planning (which you should always plan your own), then AI is of no used except 1) you can glance your computer and know the air, 2) gas consumption profile when you download your data to a computer. To me, both don't improve my diving.

---------- Post added December 28th, 2013 at 03:10 PM ----------

I can generally determine how much air I have left within a hundred PSI or so, but my BRAIN says it's a great idea to double check that with the tools I have available that measure it more precisely. An AI computer is one tool that can do that. You may or may not choose to use the same tools as someone else, but that doesn't necessarily mean you think more or are a better diver, or that someone using one doesn't know HOW TO DIVE.

If that is the case, you won't need to stare at your wrist for air pressure all the time. You probably only need to "double check" your brain's calculation, say every 15 minutes. It if not that AI is necessary bad thing, but for the (little) benefit it adds, it is not worth the cost or potential additional failure points.

When you are really taught HOW TO DIVE, your SPG is the backup while the primary is your brain.

Can you please explain to me how this primary works. Tuck the backup in the pocket and do not use it unless your primary fails. How is your brain, and nothing else, going to know how much air you have in your tank?

An AI computer -IS- an SPG. It has the same function.

what I found is the "remaining air time" is only calculated based on you and you alone. If you go with the "remaining air time", and when the time reach zero, your buddy needs share air, you won't have enough for both to get to the surface safely.
As I said before- my husband's computer does "remaining air time" with 500 PSI as 0 minutes left. He uses this to plan to be back on the boat with 0 minutes left. How is this any different than me using my SPG and planning to be back on the boat with 500 PSI?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom