After 20 years, need one last dive (Lake Travis)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The cache's elevation is 577 feet according to the cache page. With the lake level at 657 feet yesterday, that would make it right at 80 feet deep. Looking at it in Google Earth, it's right about 300 feet southwest of the point of the point in Bob Wentz Park.

(Of course, if the cache hider was using a depth gauge and the published lake level for the day of the hide, it could be off slightly, as the depth gauge is calibrated in fsw, meaning it would read shallower than the true tape-measure depth. It won't vary by a notable amount, but I have to mention that, just for completeness.)

As far as shooting azimuths goes, if I don't have to swim back to shore, I'd rather drop the mark with GPS coordinates. If I had to swim back to shore, drop off the GPS receiver, and swim back out, maybe I'd go with a visual fix. (I have a nice OtterBox for the GPS receiver, so the GPS fix wins. :wink:) Considering the more precise starting position for the inevitable search pattern, I might use a GPS drop even if I had to do extra swimming. (Extra surface swimming is much less constraining than extra search time at 80', after all.)

Incidentally, what is the dive flag situation in the area? (I've given up on assuming.)

Hehehe ... looks like givin up the goods mighta been not so good a plan after all.

For anyone interested in finding this using a GPS, Giant Stride is equipped with a GPS/Sonar. You could be put directly on the coordinates to begin your dive.

Robert
Lake Travis Scuba

For anyone interested in finding this using a GPS, Giant Stride is equipped with a GPS/Sonar. You could be put directly on the coordinates to begin your dive.

Robert
Lake Travis Scuba
AND!!! You can do this as early as tomorrow night :D

Hehehe ... looks like givin up the goods mighta been not so good a plan after all.

I am sure most of you already know this but those who don't, you are not supposed to remove the cache once you find them. Typically, you bring a small item with you and then put it in the box or container and remove a small item from the container. It is a swap. Generally there is also a small notebook inside where you right your name, date, and a short message. Not sure how this would work underwater.

so, if should not matter that a bunch of swampers now knows it is there. Everyone should have a chance at it.

Layne

There is no active geocache at Clear Springs Scuba Park. (There is one nearby, but it is not a scubacache, nor is it in the park.)

I might disagree with that statement. I don't know if the cache is still there or not; but last year, there was a cache stashed on the airplane at CSSP. I bumbled across it, looked inside and replaced it. It was there then. Is it still there now? I don't know. Has been moved, either intentionally or maliciously? I don't know.

For the OP question in here somewhere:
Yes.

.688 min is 41 sec.
.134 min is 8 sec.

Wow! Thanks Robert for the offer to use the GPS equipped Giant Stride! I won't need it; but that is very generous of you to offer. If I ever make it down to Travis, I will contact you for a dive trip.

Post deleted...

Last edited:
I'd suggest reading the UN-condensed version :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom