Advise for a travel friendly BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the OP, I would look at the AquaLung Outlaw or the DiveRite TravelPac.

Dive Rite TravelPac BC, Black

If you really want QR weights, you can add the Dive Rite QR weight pouches to the TravelPac or many other BCDs. Personally, I would just buy DGX Trim weight pouches and put them on the tank straps. They would not be ditchable. But, if you're weighted properly for a warm water, single tank dive, you shouldn't need ditchable weight anyway.

And if you do not really need QR weights, then I would also consider the ScubaPro Hydros Pro, with the travel waist belt installed. With the bulky weight pouch waist belt, it's not very travel friendly. With the travel waist belt, it looks like it would pack about as small as any of the others mentioned.

And, has been mentioned, if you do not need QR weights, you could also go with a lightweight backplate and a small (17 - 25# lift) wing. My new "travel" rig is the Freedom Contour plate with a HOG 23# wing. The plate weights 5 #, but the rig is small, streamlined, and SO comfortable.
The Outlaw with the 25 lb wing and the weight pockets weighs 5 lb 12 oz

BP/W's are generally negative. How does being neutral take away the BP/W advantage?

I think mine's only negative by D-rings, buckle, and Alu plate, and with a little air trapped in the wing/shell it wouldn't be negative at all.

I have HD Video gear, regulators plus a full sized HD editing-capable laptop in my carryon. I'm not in any sort of mood to add 5lbs. of steel plate to my load since most flights from here usually require at least one plane change/connection to get to any of the better Caribbean locations.

Next trip I'm going to pull out Alu stays and crapboard (aka "internal frame") out of my backpack and stick the backplate in their place. I expect the weight difference to be an extra pound maybe. Unless I get me a new very shiny plate by then, in which case it'll be more like 3. Travel weight was my main reason to go Alu, but since I'm not carrying HD gear I'm rethinking that.

Obviously there are two considerations here for travel, weight and size. If you are traveling with a lot of gear (e.g. big cameras, etc.) then weight might be a real consideration. I tend to agree with @stuartv though. For travel, I love my SS backplate and wing. Yeah, the steel backplate adds a few extra pounds, but the whole rig packs nice and flat and takes up less room than a jacket-style BC. Then at my destination, the SS plate means that even in my tropical wetsuit, I can dive an Al80 with only 2lbs of extra weight.

advise on a more travel friendly BCD with an integrated weight system

Take a look at the Scubapro Go BCD. It's an excellent travel BCD, integrated weights, lightweight, enough stainless D rings, and packs well. I still own the previous version of this BCD (the Geo), and I've been really happy with it. It's seen a lot of air miles.

Go BC, w/ BPI, Black, XS | Scubapro Store

Last edited:
how well does a backplate and wing fit in a gym bag? what do you use for carryon? this is something I am contemplating. With fins it seems I need a big carryon.

I like my Aqualung Zuma. I will probably never dive it again. I love my DSS Kydex backplate and 20 lb. wing. It is more stable, easier to get in and out of, more versatile, more scalable, easier to dive in trim and it weighs 6 lbs. The Zuma weighs 5 lbs. They take up the same room in a suitcase. They cost the same +/-. The zuma has small plastic d-rings that are not where they need to be and are not usable. I keep it for visitors. I have not used it for that yet. I would sell it but they don't hold their value even though it looks new. It's perfectly fine but it isn't nearly as nice for me as my bp/w. I know I sound like a fanboy.

how well does a backplate and wing fit in a gym bag?

I'm not sure about a gym bag per se, but a backplate and wing combo will pack as flat if not flatter than most jacket style BCs.

I am in the camp that thinks the search for travel friendly involves compromise - generally at a high price point - that really doesn't pass the cost / benefit test.

When I dove my SeaQuest Balance I always packed it. Diving a BP/W with a steel plate I always pack it. I have never had an issue packing within a 50 lb. limit, even with a 7mm wetsuit. I use a single duffel for my dive gear AND my other clothing. Regs / computer / mask are in my carry on.

At most, changing from your current setup will save you ~ 2 lbs. Ask yourself if that minuscule weight savings is sufficient to justify a new purchase for occasional diving.

And if space is your issue rather than weight, go to a soft rather than hard side luggage solution.

My "warm water travel" rig is an OxyCheq "Dogbone" steel plate with XS Scuba weight pockets and/or trim pockets, and recently I added an Argonaut Dive 18# (was a 23# HOG) wing. Likely similar to a aluminum plate. I have a DSS Kydex, but made the "mistake" of putting a Transplate harness on it and thus bulked it up (wanted QR due to significant shoulder issues at the time). I have had more issues in the past with wing bulk (OxyCheq 30# Mach V) with packing than anything.

I prefer a rigid plate over a fabric one.... As to a conventional BC? I have been certified for >25 years, learned with horse collars, owned jackets (conventional and back-inflate), and switched to a BP/W around 8-10 years ago. Never going back.....

YMMV

how well does a backplate and wing fit in a gym bag? what do you use for carryon? this is something I am contemplating. With fins it seems I need a big carryon.

What fins? Accels would pack into a "regulation" carry-on.

I use this: Odyssey 45+10L -- it's a couple of inches longer than the "standard" roller. but being a soft bag it'll fit anywhere the hard-sided standard one can. Over in the US they're periodically sold for $50.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom