Advice - Planning on Doing First Solo Dive - Not Certified for It

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started doing shallow (30' or less) solo dives with about your number of dives. Of course, with a buddy is generally safer, especially if the buddy is experienced. But if you live in the boonies like me you may have a choice of shallow solo dives or no dives without driving 100 miles. Having said that, I like the 30 feet (or less) idea, and to this day try to stick to that--in fact today I did exactly 30'. 300' from shore may be a bit much. Why not just stay at 20' and closer to shore, especially if it's your first time? If you surface out there why not practise a CESA (exhale & "Ah........"all the way up at normal ascent rate, as in OW class). That way you'll know you can do it from said depth if needed. Beware of cramps if you are prone to that, and above all, stay far away from anything that could possibly entrap you--that's always my biggest worry. Carry your knife.

Most people would recommend against it. That is a given.

+1

You have a buoy..... awesome....

What is so hard to understand about the phrase "dive within the limits of your training and experience"?

Why do some novice divers feel that they are a miraculous exception to prudent community wisdom, safe diving practices and common sense?

How can a diver feel that they have honestly appraised their capabilities and preparedness, when their experience is minimal?

Last edited:
Go to your User CP and join the Solo Diving group. Then ask a mod to move this question into the Solo Diving forum. You'll get far more experienced opinions in there.

My advice to you is to not Solo dive yet until:
A) you get the info you need from the Solo Diving forum
B) you do a mock practice solo dive with a buddy
C) You get more Equipment

Minimum amount of new gear you'll need:
You'll need a Pony bottle. NOT A SPARE AIR, but a completely separate tank with a separate regulator set up (first stage, 1 second stage, and an SPG). The capacity you end up slinging will depend on your dive plan.
You should also have a spare mask that you'll carry with you.

Having a float provides absolutely no support or safety to you until you get within 8ft and above. It may even be a entanglement hazard during your dive.

I got certified for two reasons. One, you have a hard time getting an air fill unless you can convince them that you are paintballing. Two, they won't let you near the dive boat without a cert.

I have nothing against people solo-diving if they have the skills, equipment and protocols that support doing so. I am shocked that people are supportive of your doing so without having assessed your skill level. Your title of your post is "not certified for it." Your status shows less than 50 dives. You're asking advice not of a mentor, but on a basic forum on the internet.

I can appreciate the appeal of solo diving. I am a solo hiker, and I have managed a number of 7-10 day solo hikes and thoroughly enjoyed my own company and my own pace. I also built up to it, and had contingencies in place in case I got disoriented, sick, had a major equipment failure, or injured. You don't seem to have done this, even though you're going underwater -- a much more dangerous environment than the Rockies were for me. With respect, solo diving is probably pretty safe if you're well-trained and properly equipped, and your dive plan is sensible. At least, it's safe until it isn't...the second something goes wrong is not the time to find out you haven't properly prepared.

I think a lot of new divers also find the idea of solo diving appealing because it means not having to keep an eye on a buddy. Give some thought as to whether this is a skill deficit rather than a desire to actually be solo.

There are no scuba police. You will get responses from some people saying no one should ever solo dive. You will get responses (and already have) from people saying "go for it" without ever even asking about your ability to do so safely. Someone will also probably post and ask if they can have your gear if you die. Personally, I think you're planning to dive beyond your training. Whether that comes as a solo dive, an overhead dive or a deco dive, my belief is that diving beyond your training is a set up to have an accident. Have a read through the accidents and incidents thread...and give some serious thought to how many of those unfortunate people became unfortunate by deciding to dive beyond their training.

All the best.

threads merged.

Solo diving is where you really have to think about the "what ifs". What if I have a freeflow? What if I get lost? What if I lose a fin? What if I have a horrible cramp? What if the visibility turns awful? What if my computer dies, or my light? What if a heavy current comes up? What if I'm just scared?

Safe solo diving involves a lot of the same planning as safe technical diving, because the two have some qualities in common. If you are alone, you must solve problems alone. If you are shallow and not in deco, the surface is always an option, but if surfacing puts you a long way off shore (or away from your boat) and you don't have the stamina to do the swim, you're still in a world of hurt. Just because a diver is on the surface, doesn't mean he's safe. In addition, solving problems by yourself means you have to be able to stay calm and methodical -- do you know enough about yourself underwater to know you can do that?

Although I rarely do any diving alone (and that's placing floats for my husband's OW classes), I don't object to someone diving solo if he wishes to. But I think it takes a mature diver, with a good sense of how he reacts to issues, and who has gone through a thorough thought process on what is necessary to reduce risks as much as possible. This thought process, I think, is what solo diving classes teach (I don't know, I haven't taken one) and what you may be lacking in deciding to solo this early in your diving career.

First off, I'm gonna go ahead and state my opinion that most folks with less than 50 dives should not be considering solo ... they should instead be thinking about finding a good mentor who can help them progress to the point where they can solo safely. Solo diving involves being comfortable enough with your basic skills that you can do them without really thinking about it. But more importantly, solo diving's about being able to make good judgment calls regarding when it's prudent to go, when it's prudent to call the dive, and when it's prudent to look out at the dive site and say "not today". And mostly that kind of judgment takes a lot more than 50 dives to get.

That said ... everybody's responsible for themselves, and if you've decided this is for you then I doubt anything anyone says is gonna change your mind. So the next best thing is to give you as much information as possible to help you prepare. On my website you'll find an article I wrote about preparing for solo diving ... hopefully you'll read it and take something useful from it.

Best of luck ... please keep in mind that you can drown just as easily in 30 feet of water as you can 100 feet ... be careful, be conservative, and come back safe ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have to ask the OP why the urge to go solo diving?

I will openly admit that I do solo dive, however the thought had not even crossed my mind when I had less than 50 dives.

I second what was said - do not rush into solo diving. Any idiot can do a dive when everything goes right, it is the "what ifs" that TSandM mentioned that you need to worry about. You probably do not have the experience to create a proper list of "what ifs" yet. I will also say that on more challenging dives (say when you are alone) the "what ifs" tend develop a life of their own.

To dive solo(alone) is not something I'd persuade you to act on. Avoid these types of diving for many reasons. In some countries its prohibited, Your insurance can be void. These are just some major tips.

Encounter a dive buddy. Dive and have fun!!!

Back
Top Bottom