Advice - Planning on Doing First Solo Dive - Not Certified for It

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About half of my dives are solo, no-deco OW dives, down to 100 feet. Obviously I am not against soloing. However....

My advice? Get some more experience first.

Ditto. Been diving for 30+ years with a lot of solo in the last 5, not certified for solo.
I did a few solos at around a 100 dive as a teen. It was a stupid decision in hindsight and frankly I was too uptight to fully enjoy the dives
IMO, at 25-50 dives you simply don't have enough experience do recognize issues before they bite you in the a$$
If you want to solo, great but don't hurry it along, this is one area where you really do need lots of dives to have the experience needed to be safe.
As for the training, good idea, but is it not a replacement for experience, only a supplement.

You don't "have" to be certified to do any type dive.

My biggest worry is the title of your thread. AFIK there is only one agency (TDI) offering a true "solo diver" course. Much like a previous poster I come from a solo-mountainering background and so I started off being mentally used to the idea of self rescue. And much like mountaineering solo I worked up to solo diving. Only you will know when you are ready and others have covered far better then I some of the indications that indicate you are ready. It's a combination of emotional maturity and muscle memory, and like others have said you need to know when to call the dive (see also:why I have only summited Mt Washington twice in forty winter attempts)

Good luck!

Michael

<hijack>

(see also:why I have only summited Mt Washington twice in forty winter attempts)

You are either desperately perseverent or you need some counseling on figuring out when to quit trying! :) (I have one winter attempt and one summit via Hellman's Highway)

</hijack>

In some countries its prohibited, Your insurance can be void.!

Sounds like two good reasons to give it a try (with experience). just as you should always unbuckle your seat belt when passing a "Buckle Up!" sign and ride a motorcyle at least once without a helmet ( only once please).

Unless I'm with my wife or similar "trusted buddy" I treat every dive like it's a solo dive for contingency planning because I've had three significant "insta buddy" failures to respond to problems.

<hijack>

You are either desperately perseverent or you need some counseling on figuring out when to quit trying! :) (I have one winter attempt and one summit via Hellman's Highway)

</hijack>

it took me 28 years of trying before I won a motorcycle roadrace. (Experience helps you choose the "right"class!)

it took me 28 years of trying before I won a motorcycle roadrace. (Experience helps you choose the "right"class!)

Moped?

:p

Michael

Experience comes from doing.
All instructors will advise more training, its in their nature and financial interest.

You need to decide for yourself if your willing to take the risk. Some people need more instruction than others.

My first scuba dive was solo, in a shallow lake. Friend gave me a setup and quick instruction. Lasted all of 30 minutes till I got bored looking at sandy bottom in 1' vis. I lived.
2nd dive was in Mexico, talked my way onto a boat with no cert. Got seperated from the group and went over the Santa Rosa Wall went down to 100fsw hung out by my self at 80 fsw till the spg said 700 (cause that was the plan). Came up slowly and missed my safety stop due to air in my bcd. floated on the surface for 30 minutes till the boat found me. I lived. Great dive. I went and got my OW cert after that.

Some of us are just loners and those who aren't wont understand.

Do your research, dive your plan. Live your life. No one to blame but yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom