Advanced Trimix Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not the most experienced person here, but I had a good reason to be Hypoxic Trimix trained while normoxic diving last week. Normoxic shore dives in Grand Cayman. 80s just don't have enough gas, and the surf was fairly high, so we used travel gas to get out above the main wall before descent. This saved He and reserved back gas. If I was only trained and practiced at carrying deco gases, adding that 5th tank in a completely new environment would have been a bit daunting.

The OP wanted to go from ER to Advanced mix with no normoxic class. Presumably there would be normoxic dives as part of a class that is going from air at 180 to hypoxic mix. And you said it was "allowed" so I asked what the class would look like.

If its not progressing continuously from ER through normoxic to hypoxic then what is it?

Ok, I understand what you're saying.

Normoxic isn't a mandatory prereq for hypoxic. Either normoxic or extended range is. So a person going from TDI Extended Range (a 180' cert) or IANTD Technical Diver to hypoxic doesn't need to take a normoxic class as part of a full mix program, they've met the pre req as far as certification is concerned.

If you want to debate the merits of requiring someone that's got a reasonable amount of experience doing 180' dives on air to take a normoxic class before they can enroll in a full mix class, I'm all ears.

In regards to what a full mix program looks like, there's a difference in the standards for minimum dive requirements and depth progression in open circuit and closed circuit full mix, but generally speaking a person doing full mix is looking at a minimum of 5 days, and more likely a full week. Generally speaking progression would likely look something like:

Dive 1 - shallow <80' skills and evaluation dive.
Dive 2 - 130-150' trimix dive
Dive 3 - 160-180' trimix dive
Dive 4 - 190-210' trimix dive
Dive 5 - 220-240' trimix dive
Dive 6 - > 240'
Dive 7 - > 240'.

That progression would involve keeping depth increases to 30' between a set of dives, slowly building up the depths, to a max depth below 240'. Dives 1/2 and 3/4 could potentially be on the same day, personally, once we're jumping below 200' I prefer to keep it to one a day.

Ok, I understand what you're saying.

Normoxic isn't a mandatory prereq for hypoxic. Either normoxic or extended range is. So a person going from TDI Extended Range (a 180' cert) or IANTD Technical Diver to hypoxic doesn't need to take a normoxic class as part of a full mix program, they've met the pre req as far as certification is concerned.

If you want to debate the merits of requiring someone that's got a reasonable amount of experience doing 180' dives on air to take a normoxic class before they can enroll in a full mix class, I'm all ears.

In regards to what a full mix program looks like, there's a difference in the standards for minimum dive requirements and depth progression in open circuit and closed circuit full mix, but generally speaking a person doing full mix is looking at a minimum of 5 days, and more likely a full week. Generally speaking progression would likely look something like:

Dive 1 - shallow <80' skills and evaluation dive.
Dive 2 - 130-150' trimix dive
Dive 3 - 160-180' trimix dive
Dive 4 - 190-210' trimix dive
Dive 5 - 220-240' trimix dive
Dive 6 - > 240'
Dive 7 - > 240'.

That progression would involve keeping depth increases to 30' between a set of dives, slowly building up the depths, to a max depth below 240'. Dives 1/2 and 3/4 could potentially be on the same day, personally, once we're jumping below 200' I prefer to keep it to one a day.

When I did my Adv. TX course it was a similar setup.

Day 1
50m dive -- 45m dive
Day 2
60m dive -- 45m dive
Day 3
60m dive
Day 4
70m dive
Day 5
80m dive
Day 6
90m dive
Day 7
100m dive

Also to answer the original question yes with an Adv. TX cert you can dive both hypoxic and normoxic mixes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom