Advanced Trimix Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bump_Head

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a question about the Advanced Trimix Certification. I’m looking at taking the course in the coming weeks using the prerequisite of Extended Range. Having looked through the TDI’s manuals online, I can’t seem to ascertain whether I’d be qualified to dive a normoxic mixture. The Adv Trimix seems to speak to hypoxia mixtures. Anybody know or would I have to take Basic as well?

I’d avoid most instructors that would let you jump from ER to Hypoxic, despite the standards allowing it. Where will you be taking it?

I think you need normoxic to move up but maybe theres some way to do both together. Tdi headquarters has online chat and its actually monitored by their instruction staff. Get online tomorrow and they will sort it out.

The ER is exactly the same course as Basic Trimix 60. Same theory, same skills, only different gas used for the dive. I considered taking the Trimix 60 first but for the cost vs learning there’s nothing there, especially if it’s all included in the Advanced.
Looking at either the Gili Islands or Blue Label out of Phuket, Thailand

The standards pretty clearly allow you to use ER as the pre-requisite... assuming you have the logged dives to back it up and a willing instructor. I do not believe that anybody will ever ask specifically about a Trimix card if you have an Advanced Trimix card. With it, you’d be hypothetically certified up to 100m with any necessary fraction of helium as taught in the class. I believe that if you wanted to dive to 50m on Normoxic, you totally could according to TDI.

Have you considered gas costs?

Yes, very much so.
Would love to move towards CCR soon.
Currently travelling and diving around SE Asia and area. I’m packing my XDeep Tec for both cave and open ocean technical diving. My personal safety factor on this is 4 AL80 tanks (allowing enough lift at the start of a dive), maybe 5 in staged cave diving.
Greater than 90% of my diving will be in the 60 meter range just based on these factors.

Costs:
Stated in CAD but it gets the idea across.
Trimix 60 = $2000.00 (course + gas)
Advanced Trimix = $3000.00

I think taking advanced at this stage just makes more financial sense even though I wouldn’t be using it much. But never say never.
And yes, I have the requisite dives under my belt.

I have a question about the Advanced Trimix Certification. I’m looking at taking the course in the coming weeks using the prerequisite of Extended Range. Having looked through the TDI’s manuals online, I can’t seem to ascertain whether I’d be qualified to dive a normoxic mixture. The Adv Trimix seems to speak to hypoxia mixtures. Anybody know or would I have to take Basic as well?
You would have access to any mix.

The question is whether you actually have the skills to go from 55m on air to 100m on trimix. And whether this is actually a good idea at all regardless of what the stupid 20+ year old standards allow. Even 75m is a big jump up from 50m, nevermind 100m.

How many 50m dives do you have?

How many 50m dives do you have?

~40 to 45 +m
I wouldn’t know how to measure the skills except ability to perform and level of comfort.
I’m fine with both but your point regarding experience is valid and well taken.
Perhaps in that light the TMX 60 is the way to go.

~40 to 45 +m
I wouldn’t know how to measure the skills except ability to perform and level of comfort.
I’m fine with both but your point regarding experience is valid and well taken.
Perhaps in that light the TMX 60 is the way to go.
I approve of this post lol
:))))

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom