Advanced Trimix Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took Tri Mix 1 to learn a little, I watched a Tri Mix 2 class and that's a lot of dang gas to be carrying - I just can't see diving to 100m on OC. 200' dives on OC are a lot of work - this is supposed to be fun right?

There's some diving I want to do in the 220-250' range, I suppose I'm going to have to either live with what I haven't seen or take the dang class - maybe CCR one of these days.

I took Tri Mix 1 to learn a little, I watched a Tri Mix 2 class and that's a lot of dang gas to be carrying - I just can't see diving to 100m on OC. 200' dives on OC are a lot of work - this is supposed to be fun right?

There's some diving I want to do in the 220-250' range, I suppose I'm going to have to either live with what I haven't seen or take the dang class - maybe CCR one of these days.
Can't you get 16% o2 on a "normoxic" ticket?

Can't you get 16% o2 on a "normoxic" ticket?

TDI says 60m/200', no less than 18%. Here in Mexico, they've never asked me for anything when filling tanks.

I've never been on someone else's boat asking to dive 250' - I'd just think they'd say no. I wouldn't even think about it at this time anyways, I need way more time in the 180-200' range.

TDI says 60m/200', no less than 18%. Here in Mexico, they've never asked me for anything when filling tanks.

I've never been on someone else's boat asking to dive 250' - I'd just think they'd say no. I wouldn't even think about it at this time anyways, I need way more time in the 180-200' range.
oh gotcha
I agree with you - my fun zone in the ocean fizzles out around 220ft. Deeper is more work than fun

theres nothing magical about using trimix its just another gas which has a depth range with optimum use -if your solid with your gas switching and holding your stops while task loaded with bottle manipulation etc then your good to go
you have extended range which is min requirement for ADV trimix
sounds like your already booked on a course ? id guess your actual course will do a few 60m dives and wont go deeper than 75m
as already mentioned by others being certified to do 100m dive and actually doing one is a big jump - do some build up dives (60-70m )to get muscle memory engrained and get your systems and team work fine tuned and mentally prepared

Going from ER to normoxic will add only the ability to use helium. That means gas planning, deco theory regarding helium use, isobaric counter-diffusion theory and practice. Thats all classroom stuff.

In water, you will add (possibly) a suit bottle if you are diving drysuit and your ascent rates will be less forgiving than, say, an air dive.

If you are planning to go full trimix anyway, the argument can be made that the intermediate course won't really be of much benefit. However, since you also seem to be unsure of your current experience level prior to going to the next step, I would say that doing the normoxic course will give you one huge benefit, that of being able to reduce narcosis on the practice dives you will be doing between now and full trimix.

Of course, training costs and travel etc etc do play a role, but if you can, get helium first and then look toward going deeper with it. As to the original question, Advanced trimix will remove the O2 percentage limitation on your card so if you didn't do the normoxic course, you would still be able to get any trimix / helitrox mix you wanted.

In practice, once the blender sees "trimix" on the card they stop asking questions. I have gone in with my normoxic card and gotten fills for a buddy of some very low O2 mix without an eyebrow being raised.

I’d avoid most instructors that would let you jump from ER to Hypoxic, despite the standards allowing it. Where will you be taking it?

OK, I'll bite. Why?

ER is an allowable pre-req into the program through TDI. With IANTD, Technical Diver (their "ER") is an allowable pre-req into full trimix.

CCR doesn't get you out of the need to carry appropriate bailout deco gases. Even using team bailout, I frequently find myself jumping with three bottles (and my CCR) when I'm playing deep in the ocean.

OK, I'll bite. Why?

ER is an allowable pre-req into the program through TDI. With IANTD, Technical Diver (their "ER") is an allowable pre-req into full trimix.
Happy to be corrected by you on this one, but I'd make the argument that the class teaching rates has gone by the wayside due to a modern understanding of gas density and narcosis. As such, it is more infrequently taught and most instructors still teaching it are behind the times. This is not to say that there are not competent ER divers but I imagine the caliber of the average normoxic diver is far higher than that of the average ER diver. I'd make the same argument with Helitrox vs Deco Procedures. Instructors that are opting and can teach helitrox certs are more on top of their stuff and aware of modern standards/teaching/science than those still only teaching DP. Staring a bit further into the TDI standards, I'm surprised the bare minimum to complete either course is four dives with only two mandatory dives below 130ft.

TLDR: sight unseen and before an initial shake down dive, would you rather have a hypoxic student taught from a deep air background or one taught from a normoxic background?

Things we know today were not necessarily known 5 or 10 years ago and 5 or 10 years from now we may have a completely different set of beliefs. Just because someone has a normoxic card, that doesn't mean that they are current and up to speed on the latest beliefs. Here's an example, if they earned that normoxic card in 2010, they may very well believe deep stops are incredibly important to avoid getting bent.

So, in answer to your question, >> I << wouldn't assume anything about their knowledge and skills based simply on having a piece of plastic, and >> I << would cover the material, including "remediation", as necessary.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom