Additional Gear Needed or Not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
That is the question. Starting from scratch and will be diving mostly in the NE with some trips to the Keys and Caribbean.

Local dive shop put together a list for me of the following items. I would like to know if there is anything else that is a MUST or not. Don't plan on doing any deep diving anytime soon. Here is the list, what do I need to add?

I already have: mask, fins, snorkel, booties, equipment bag

7 mil full suit and hood
BC
Computer & analog compass combo
Regulator (DIN) with bag
Alternate incorporated into BC (airsource 3)
DIN to Yoke adapter
Blunt Knife
UW slate
UW whistle
Diver below signal tube
Retractor for computer

Thank you, any and all ideas, suggestions welcome.

lord... they're trying to sell you a bunch of crap
My opinions
7mm wetsuit is essential. Buy a 3/5mm hooded vest instead of a hood. More expensive, but odds are, when you need the hood, it'll be nice to have the extra thickness on your chest. They tend to be much more comfortable.

I prefer wrist computers to consoles, so that's your opinion. I glued a normal compass to my slate and they work well. Much cheaper too. I can email you pics of it.

If you buy DIN, which I recommend, make sure you buy a Yoke adapter if it doesn't come with one. For the keys, you'll need it, already on the list but it's imperative

Airsources are crap, buy an Octopus. It's usually cheaper, and works better. Trust me, you won't wanna breathe off of an airsource, and your OOA buddy sure as hell won't

Knives are good, don't spend too much on one, cuz you'll probably never use it.

Whistle is good

SMB is good

Not a fan of retractors, won't need it for wrist mount... Brass clips, or SS FTW

Buy used. Save a bunch of $$... If you are near Northeast Scuba Supply, go there. They have a lot of good stuff for really good prices, and John is real cool.

Finger spool for the SMB...& no retractor--wear a wrist type computer & no Air 3--get a regular octo.........

+1 for use a proper backup reg and simple stainless bolt snap to secure the spg.

Ditch the slate, get some real wet notes and use a graphite marker from an art store.

Get some of those shorts with the pockets on them for storing your extras. Ditch the console, use an Suunto SK-7 on one wrist and a computer on the other. Brass & glass SPG on your high pressure hose.

Use a real octo, they'll run less in the long run and you don't need to worry about using rental BCDs if yours needs servicing. Get a competitive quote for what you're buying as well.

Surprised they didn't try to sell you tanks.

Backup mask might be useful, I've had to pull one out a few times because people's masks fell off their heads or because I was trying out a new one and didn't like it.

I'm still fond of my console so I don't have a problem there. Make sure it's inline with all the instruments on the same side. Scratch the retractor. Just use some soft bungee (~8") and a bolt snap. Clip it off to the left shoulder D ring. If you go wrist mount for the computer and compass with a simple SPG that's cool to.

Scratch the air 3 and get a conventional alternate second stage. More here

Make sure that the signal tube is something that can be deployed from below, hence the need for the finger spool. Check out the DSS spools, they work nice with cold water gloves.

What about tank(s)? The likelihood of renting with DIN valves is limited even in NE. Some tank info. DIN is a nice way to go, but it's not essential.

For the DIN conversion be sure to get a regulator that allows YOU to swap the connector so it becomes a yoke regulator. This is easy on many models. That beats screwing another gizmo onto your regulator and banging your head all week. Have them show you how to convert when taking delivery.

You need weights and a weight belt. Use the BC pockets only for the weights needed higher on your body to attain trim.

Yes on the knife but don't overspend. Real use is unlikely and it wants to be expendable. Add a pair of EMT shears, they are much better on mono filament etc and you always want 2 cutting tools in case you lose one.

Wetsuit appropriate for the warm water.

Scratch the hood, get a chicken vest. the 3mm on the torso will be welcome. Also the vest will mute the sipper seepage and do a real nice job at closing your neck off. It's also easier to don. I end up tucking the bib in for many buddies. Some just dive with the bib out in frustration. This vest will complement your warm and cold water diving.

Keep the slate small or get wet notes.

Pete

Last edited:
...diving mostly in the NE with some trips to the Keys and Caribbean.

You didn't say what your budget was, but if you are starting from scratch, and you really plan on doing mostly northeast diving, you might consider a dry suit and a backplate and wing.

I know that the BP/W thing has been discussed a lot here, and I'm certainly not implying that you can't dive with a regular jacket style BC, but I would like to make that suggestion if you haven't considered it.

I have owned several BCs (both front and back bladder), and I can honestly say that the BP/W is a huge step forwards. It is so much more comfortable and customizable. Also, it is extremely rugged and reliable, and does not require extra weight to sink it as does a traditional jacket BC. I take it to the Caribbean all the time, it works great there with my 3mm shorty wetsuit, as well as back home where I put a 6 lb weight in the back channel.

As far as the dry suit goes - that can be a fairly expensive item, but I have seen good used dry suits for sale that were competitive in price with a good 7 mm wet suit. Also much more comfortable than a tight fitting wet suit IMHO, and customizable for different water temperatures with different undergarments.

If you really plan on diving much around here, you will find that most people move to this setup at some point (even if you never dive doubles), so maybe consider that before spending a lot of money on a 7mm wet suit and a jacket BC.

I agree with the other posters about getting a regular octopus rather than the airsource 3. Yes, I'm sure that it works fine, but when everything turns bad and you are in an emergency, you and any other OOA diver are better off with familiar equipment.

For local wreck diving, have two cutting devices, a knife an a set of aluminum shears (trauma shears, like the EMTs carry), much better for cutting monofilament line, etc..

Have fun!

Mike

7mm is a lot for the Caribbean. 5 would be better. Maybe 3, depending on how cold you get. Florida is a different story. 7 is completely appropriate for some conditions there, although at other times 5 is better, and even 3 on occaison.

If you don't dive there often, I wouldn't buy any of them. Wait until your trip then buy whatever is appropriate for the current conditions.

You don't need a UW slate or UW whistle. Learn how to stay close to your buddy and you won't need either. I would get the above-water version of the SCUBAlert and a safety sausage in case you come up from a drift dive and the boat isn't nearby.

If you get a wrist-mounted computer, you won't need a retractor, but either way is fine.

Some people have a thing against retractors, but they actually work nicely and if one breaks, you won't die, you'll just be a little sloppy-looking.

Make sure you carry a cutting tool. You probably won't need it, but when you do, your life might be at stake. EMT shears work well for almost everything and are around $10. Don't get an expensive knife. You'll eventually lose it.

A real alternate second stage is much nicer than any of the integrated inflators, however aside from being annoying to breathe from, the airsource-3 is OK.

flots.

That is the question. Starting from scratch and will be diving mostly in the NE with some trips to the Keys and Caribbean.

Local dive shop put together a list for me of the following items. I would like to know if there is anything else that is a MUST or not. Don't plan on doing any deep diving anytime soon. Here is the list, what do I need to add?

I already have: mask, fins, snorkel, booties, equipment bag

7 mil full suit and hood
BC
Computer & analog compass combo
Regulator (DIN) with bag
Alternate incorporated into BC (airsource 3)
DIN to Yoke adapter
Blunt Knife
UW slate
UW whistle
Diver below signal tube
Retractor for computer

Thank you, any and all ideas, suggestions welcome.

Wow, great information. Surprised that the overwhelming majority is against the Airsource 3. Very legitimate reasons.

Keep the info coming. I won't' be ordering until after this weekend and my better half just bought me a 7mm wetsuit with a hood for my birthday. Henderson H2. She treated me well this birthday.

I see a lot of dry suits up this way. Probably on my list soon. A shorty sounds appropriate for the Keys and Caribbean.

I am not a fan of shorty suits since they do not protect legs and arms from things like jellies and sea lice. Get a 3 mil or even a 1.5.

The airsources are ok if you know how to use them and if you do I recommend a 5 ft hose routed under the arm and around the neck for the primary. I do not however recommend them to any one and require standard octo or long hose and bungee necklace for my AOW classes. The drills I require are such that an integrated inflator simply will not work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom