Additional Gear Needed or Not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... my better half just bought me a 7mm wetsuit with a hood for my birthday. Henderson H2. She treated me well this birthday.

You are lucky...! Those are pricey but VERY nice. I have a 5 MM Henderson for temps between the Carribbean and the Northeast. Extremely comfortable, much more so than the standard tight fitting cheap neoprene suits...

we don't allow our divers to use the airsources either. For buddy breathing and what not they're not ideal. It's really difficult to get full range of motion with your head, especially for larger people since most of the time the inflator hoses are the same length. We also teach breathing off of an inflator, which is not possible with an Air2

While I am not a fan of Air2s, it does seem to me that the presence of an AIR2 makes it much easier to breathe off the inflator.:D

Over time you'll amass more than one exposure suit, most likely. Take the recommendation for now, but know you'll probably want/need a 5mm, too, and something lighter if you are diving tropical.

Everyone's different, and you'll find wheather you run hotter or colder than "the norm."

Wow, great information. Surprised that the overwhelming majority is against the Airsource 3. Very legitimate reasons.

Actually they aren't "legitimate reasons", they're personal preferences.

flots.

Actually they aren't "legitimate reasons", they're personal preferences.

flots.

I spent the weekend diving with the instructor and others from the dive shop that has spec'd out the gear.

I have decided to go with the Airsource 3 regardless of the opinions. All of the instructors and other divers are using them. I am more comfortable and understanding after talking with all of them. They would not change a thing. OK my opinion but I appreciate all of the input and opinions of others.

I have decided against the Suunto Cobra 3 because it is simply too small to see all of the numbers and you have to flip back and forth between screens to get all of your information. My original choice was the Oceanic Pro Plus 2, (3 must not be out yet) and I am now leaning that way because the screen is larger but I am double thinking the wrist mount opinions which seem to make sense.

A flashlight will be a must to add to this list. Can't wait to shed the weight-belt. I will be placing my order on Tuesday. Crunch time to make decisions.

Wrist mount DEFINITELY beats console for convenience of availability of information.

I used to laugh at people that suggested two computers, but I was never happier than when I dove three-dundantly... I had my old console computer (Véo), then my IQ800 on the left wrist and my hubby's new toy on the right wrist (I'd picked it up when it came in, he wasn't diving with us up north that weekend muahahahaha). One on each wrist was actually incredibly cool, too; I never had to even LOOK for info, it was just always there.

So now I don't laugh about backup computers, even for basic rec diving. =-) Let's be honest, if you're hooked on diving you'll probably have two within a year or so ANYWAY...

Amy

I have decided to go with the Airsource 3 regardless of the opinions. All of the instructors and other divers are using them. I am more comfortable and understanding after talking with all of them. They would not change a thing. OK my opinion but I appreciate all of the input and opinions of others.

Did you actually do the OOA drills with them?

Here is my recommendation. Go diving with one who has Air3, someone with regular octo and someone with long hose system. Spend at least 10 minutes doing OOA drill on each ascending from depth of 60 ft and try to do it horizontally and do long safety stop.

I'm still fond of my console so I don't have a problem there. Make sure it's inline with all the instruments on the same side. Scratch the retractor. Just use some soft bungee (~8") and a bolt snap. Clip it off to the left shoulder D ring.

Like this. But I preferred clipped off to right shoulder because a glance down displayed what I needed. Typically, my instruments are wrist mounted but for the SPG. I set my daughters console up this way. It also allows me to easily check her vitals.

Cheaper than a retractor and less prone to failure.

Attachments

• whatever retractor 001.JPG
    whatever retractor 001.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 33
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom