Acid Reflux and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lead_carrier

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have a gentleman that is wanting to dive but has acid reflux, he feels it is job related. He is on the medication Protonix and is in fine shape otherwise. A search of DAN didn't give me any useful and definitive information. Is acid reflux and absolute contradiction to diving or should I just require the medical release and take it from there. Thanks in advance for the advise.

All I can give you is my personal experience, but I'm sure one of the medical folks will be posting on here, too...

Acid reflux, possibly from a hiatal hernia, can be very irritating when scuba diving in a horizonal position, even worse in any head-down positions, and I always take antacids before getting wet, as does my current instructor. DAN has more on this, click here: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=153

There seems to be two types, though; from their article:

"In a sliding hiatal hernia, the upper portion of the stomach slides upward in the space occupied by the esophagus. This hernia, found in a large percentage of North American adults, can cause gastroesophageal reflux, but it often has no symptoms. A paraesophageal hernia is a protrusion of the stomach through a separate opening of the diaphragm.

"Significant gastroesophageal reflux should be treated before diving, but a sliding hiatal hernia does not by itself contraindicate diving. Part of the stomach can become trapped within a paraesophageal hiatal hernia, and, during ascent, could rupture. Thus, paraesophageal hiatal hernia is considered a contraindication to diving. "

I cannot comment on the med he's taking, but you can call DAN weekdays for their opinion on it.

Lead_carrier:
I have a gentleman that is wanting to dive but has acid reflux, he feels it is job related. He is on the medication Protonix and is in fine shape otherwise. A search of DAN didn't give me any useful and definitive information. Is acid reflux and absolute contradiction to diving or should I just require the medical release and take it from there. Thanks in advance for the advise.

Lead Carrier,

I was certified in 1988. I was diagnosed with Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) in 2002. I think I spelled that right! Basically Acid Reflux one is born with and doesn't have heartburn associated with it.

Put another way, I dove for 15 years before being diagnosed with something I was born with. & haven't had any problems diving, related to the reflux. Nor in the 2.5 years that I've been on Protonix and diving. That is my experience, not necessarily true for everyone and no medical study behind it.

I have vomitted a few times underwater but who knows if that was reflux related or sea sickness related. When possible I'd release right into the water, but when necessary it went right through the reg with no problem. (Sorry about that detail everyone.)

edit / p.s. now that Dandydon has responded... my GERD isn't from a hiatal hernia. It is a problem with the valve between the stomache and esophagus. It doesn't always stay closed and will allow some of the stomache contents to reflux. It's treatable by changing ones diet, sleeping with one's head slightly elevated, eliminating caffeine (yuck!) and there are a few medications that will help. & not treatable by surgery.

Hope that helps.

Paula

I know a PADI course director who has GERD - which for him seems to be triggered by certain foods - he is a very avid technical diver and seems to be able to do even lengthy tech dive ok..

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll just give him the info and a medical waiver to be on the safe side.

Lead_carrier:
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll just give him the info and a medical waiver to be on the safe side.
GERD should not disqualify anyone from diving but it can be very troublesome if not controlled. The worse case scenario is aspiration. Beyond taking the medications, and if its particularly severe it maybe best to:

Avoid caffeinated drinks or foods during diving
Avoid eating 1-2 hours before diving ... liquids and light snacks are ok

The rationale is there is less to reflux if your stomach is empty; caffeine slows down the opening of the stomach sphincter and prolongs the food stay in your stomach; the medications are still necessary to neutralize or lower the stomach fluid acidity which can still reflux.

Lead_carrier:

Hi Lead_Carrier, I suffer from GERD & I'm taking "Prevacid" to controle my reflux. I have 11 dives @ 60 feet under my weight belt & not once did it bother me.

Severe GERD story in DAN's magazine this month! Seems the divers was aspirating the reflux and ended up in the hospital.

I think the warning is to be careful about how one dives with reflux - not to avoid diving but it's worht a read.

And personally - I think that every diver should be a DAN member receiving the magazine, even if you insure elsewhere.

:D

Thanks everyone, it was great to get some quick educated responses without starting a flame war. I appreciate the info.

Lead_carrier:

Acid Reflux can cause inflamation of the throat tissue or can lead to a Hiatus Hernia, espercially if the person is swallowing air and ascending fast. Some people disagree, but it happend to me after diving in the Carribean. Hiatus hernia affects people in different ways but left ignored and the patient doesnt change their lifestyle it can get worse to the extent you have difficulty swallowing and can lead to throat cancer. worse case you take too many proton inhibotors and your stomach becomes Atropic (completely acid free) which is bad.

But if your guy does have acid reflux and is on proton inhibitors he needs to consult his doctor for more precise guidance in his particular case just to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom