Accidents. Resuscitation. AED. Should AED be mandatory on diving boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m a bit confused about this as people usually refer to hypoglycaemia as “diabetic shock”. I would refrain from giving a diabetic patient Insulin until you have confirmed his blood sugar level. Otherwise how do you know if he’s not hypo? Hypo kills and kills quick!

I suggest you spend some time browsing https://www.ilcor.org, in particular one of the pubs linked: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0300957217306755
I didn't read it all as it really goes on forever and is very complicated. What I could pick out was that questions are in fact asked and studies are done when cardiac arrests take place in hospitals. Didn't think of that, and I should have. Also I think it is saying that follow-ups on situations that occurred outside of hospitals (like in the street) are somewhat less reliable because of many more variables. But, are at least of some value to asses what the layman should be doing.
In the hospital are they trying different CPR procedures and comparing results? That would seem odd to me, but I am unclear on it.
Maybe a diving Dr. can explain it better in easy layman's terms and correct what I took the studies to mean?

@Wookie is correct. For non-healthcare one provider CPR, compressions only. If you have more people, access to an ambu bag, are comfortable doing manual breaths etc., the recommendations change. They've found that people hesitated to provide CPR because of the need to give mouth to mouth. So if you just provide correct compressions, you can give CPR

You should *never* ever ever give insulin to an unconscious person. Please, never do this. If a person is unconscious and a diabetic, you should administer a glucagon injection (sugar), not insulin. Adding more sugar to a person who has high blood sugar isn't great, but isn't going to kill them. Giving insulin to someone with low blood sugar *will* kill them. And most cases of rapid unconsciousness for a diabetic, it is low sugar. Type I diabetics *should* carry glucagon with them, hopefully, if they can afford it. If they are unconscious, do not try and get them to drink sugar or eat sugar, as they will likely aspirate. /end soap box as someone whose friend is T1

And no, we are not doing comparisons of different CPR types in the hospital. That's why the quality of evidence is typically low for out of hospital cardiac arrests.

Most important is: if someone's heart stops, start compressions and call for help. If you can give breaths and are comfortable doing so and it will not delay compressions, please do that too, but don't let it delay compressions for an adult. Focus is more on breathing for infants, but it still all about starting compressions and getting expert help there immediately.

For non-healthcare one provider CPR, compressions only.
I'm sorry, Doctor; this is not what ILCOR recommends and not what EFR and DAN teach, since they live in the world of possible drowning rather than only cardiac arrest.

I'm sorry, Doctor; this is not what ILCOR recommends and not what EFR and DAN teach, since they live in the world of possible drowning rather than only cardiac arrest.

From that link:
We recommend that dispatchers provide chest compression–only CPR instructions to callers for adults with suspected out-of-hospital cardiac arrest (OHCA) (strong recommendation, low-quality evidence).
and
In a previously published meta-analysis of these studies, there appeared to be a small benefit in survival to hospital discharge in favour of the group instructed to give continuous chest compressions compared with the group instructed to give compressions and ventilations at a ratio of 15:2
And
We continue to recommend that bystanders perform chest compressions for all patients in cardiac arrest (good practice statement). In the 2015 CoSTR, this was cited as a strong recommendation but based on very-low-quality evidence.19,20

We suggest that bystanders who are trained, able, and willing to give rescue breaths and chest compressions do so for all adult patients in cardiac arrest (weak recommendation, very-low-quality evidence).

From that link:
and

And
You are selectively quoting to try and butress your failed point.

@tursiops Also, I am not a doctor. I am a nurse practitioner. I have told you this before. You call me "doctor" in an attempt to belittle me and it is not appreciated. Please stop. You can refer to me as sapphire, sapphiremind or SM.

@tursiops Also, I am not a doctor. I am a nurse practitioner. I have told you this before. You call me "doctor" in an attempt to belittle me and it is not appreciated. Please stop. You can refer to me as sapphire, sapphiremind or SM.
I apologize. I thought you were an MD.

Please quote the portion that supports your point.
"We also acknowledged the potential additional benefits of CPR with compressions and ventilations when delivered by trained laypeople, particularly in settings where EMS response intervals are long or when the cause of cardiac arrest is asphyxia."

Back
Top Bottom