Accidents. Resuscitation. AED. Should AED be mandatory on diving boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Radoo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Opening this thread after reading the BSAC 2018 report - full report in here: https://www.bsac.com/document/diving-incident-report-2018/bsac-incident-report-2018.pdf

Lots of things to learn from there, at least for me as a new diver.

In summary, 19 fatalities were recorded in UK during the last year - the highest number since 2004. Although we don’t have full data and some of the information provided is not very clear, if you look at the at the rescue and resuscitation part you notice that an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) was used in 20 cases with quite a high success rate of 30% while CPR +/- oxygen was used in 104 cases with a success rate of aprox 16%.

That’s quite a significant difference and it seems quite obvious that using an AED can make the difference between a successful and an unsuccessful resuscitation.

I’m not an expert in resuscitating a diver but from my point of view a collapsed/unconscious diver should be connected to an AED straight away. Even if he initially have a pulse and shows signs of life his heart rhythm can degenerate into a rhythm that is not compatible with life. And those rhythms require a shock to delivered by an AED ASAP . Every minute of delay reduces the chance of successful resuscitation by 10%. Ten percent.

We all insist that to have O2 on the boats we use to dive but from my point of view an AED as important as O2. Actually even more important than oxygen in a case where we are assisting a diver who is in cardiac arrest - you can deliver a little bit of O2 via rescue breaths but you can’t replace a shock (if the rhythm is shockable). Add good quality CPR to this.

I know it’s more feasible to spend resources preventing accidents. But they are happening and they will continue to happen. Isn’t better to be prepared for them? Don’t you guys think that basic resuscitation skills and AED use should be part of the basic training no matter what agency you are registered with? Shouldn’t all the boats used for diving have an AED? I think it can save precious lives.

I believe they should , gov buildings here in can all have them , and construction sites ....I have my own unit

All the liveaboards I've been on during the last few years have had one.

Eh, mandatory? I'd say no as I'm against regulation in general. Highly recommended? Yes.
At first I was going to say yes, but thinking about it I'd agree with you. I too hate regulations. You can always ask if the boat has one if concerned. I imagine there are quite a few medical items (medications, blood, who knows what) that would not be on most boats. But, great idea to have an AED.

The cost has gone down considerably since they first came on the market. There are several refurbished models available for a couple hundred dollars. I carry O2 and a large first aid kit on my boat. I have taken first aid courses involving AED use, so I may get one soon.

They clearly save lives, especially when the underlying cause is rhythm failure. We have them all over at work. I know 3-4 people brought back by them . Mostly older, but one 20 year old with a known cardiac rhythm issue. Some that age die before being diagnosed.....

They are also mindless to operate, as long as you speak the language the AED uses. On a boat, I'd have some concerns with water everywhere, but that just requires a bit of extra care when zapping the patient.

I think that any boat carrying divers or passengers that are paying for the trip should have an AED on board.

If the boat does not have one, it makes me wonder how much they care about me.

If the boat operators cannot afford an AED, it makes me wonder if they are skimping on maintenance of the boat and dive gear to save money.

There is a huge perception in this thread that dive boats do NOT have AEDs. Does anyone have any actual data on this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom