Accidents. Resuscitation. AED. Should AED be mandatory on diving boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should get a copy of the newest EFR manual and scan that daily instead. Things have changed. This assumes you'd really like to do your best for someone in need.
Excellent advice. I'm not very computer saavy. Is there a way to get one without paying $90 every 2 years for the course?

Excellent advice. I'm not very computer saavy. Is there a way to get one without paying $90 every 2 years for the course?
I’m not trying to be an ass, but the reason the course is repeated every 2 years is to build “muscle memory” if you will.

The online course is 15 bucks, but you can’t practice.

I’m not trying to be an ass, but the reason the course is repeated every 2 years is to build “muscle memory” if you will.

The online course is 15 bucks, but you can’t practice.
100% agree.
But I suppose reading about it is better than not doing it at all...kind of like no-breath compressions-only are better than not doing CPR at all.

To go back to wednesday’s Incident, I was on the back deck with one deckhand and the bosun. The cook came out of the galley and shouted “Man down, I need help”. I have trained all of these men in First Aid. The cook used to work for me on the Spree. I didn’t have my phone with me, so I told the bosun to call the office to call 911. The boat phones do not go ashore. Not one of the men I had trained in first aid recognized insulin shock until I asked “is he diabetic?” And everyone agreed that he was. I asked for his emergency kit, the bosun grabbed it from the fridge in his room and it was full of syringes and vials of insulin, no glucose, which we never found. The Master and Mates were ashore at the time, they knew where he kept it (on top of the fridge), but hadn’t passed that along to anyone. There is fear that he would be fired.

My point is that first aid skills become rusty over time. They must be kept fresh.

My guys blood sugar was 42.

tursiops, Thanks. I will definitely look into finding the updated procedures online.
Wookie, I guess taking the course every 2 years for muscle memory makes sense to a point. It doesn't seem like you'd forget exactly how to CPR a dummy, but re-taking the course could make sense I guess. Couldn't hurt.

I probably let my frustration with the 4 courses I took cloud my view.
Only in one of the 4 (not EFR) did he have us do anything at all with bandaging. Maybe I just happened to take 4 slack courses.
I have asked this before and can't recall the replies--
Where do they get the data that would cause changes to CPR? Ie., rescue breaths or not, compressions before breaths or after, 30:2 or 15"2, etc.? My only experience ever seeing CPR done has been on TV shows. It usually shows the paramedics showing up and immediately taking over of course. They may ask the first responder questions like "what happened"? Does he have a pulse? How long have you been doing CPR"? Is there any follow up on exactly what procedure was used? If not, where does the data for making changes come from. If yes, why weren't these changes figured out decades before--or at least maybe in the 90s, a decade after computers were used to store data?

tursiops, Thanks. I will definitely look into finding the updated procedures online.
Wookie, I guess taking the course every 2 years for muscle memory makes sense to a point. It doesn't seem like you'd forget exactly how to CPR a dummy, but re-taking the course could make sense I guess. Couldn't hurt.

I probably let my frustration with the 4 courses I took cloud my view.
Only in one of the 4 (not EFR) did he have us do anything at all with bandaging. Maybe I just happened to take 4 slack courses.
I have asked this before and can't recall the replies--
Where do they get the data that would cause changes to CPR? Ie., rescue breaths or not, compressions before breaths or after, 30:2 or 15"2, etc.? My only experience ever seeing CPR done has been on TV shows. It usually shows the paramedics showing up and immediately taking over of course. They may ask the first responder questions like "what happened"? Does he have a pulse? How long have you been doing CPR"? Is there any follow up on exactly what procedure was used? If not, where does the data for making changes come from. If yes, why weren't these changes figured out decades before--or at least maybe in the 90s, a decade after computers were used to store data?
With the advances in first aid supplies out there, I have added a section on bleeding to include Quick-clot and tourniquets. Not for everyone, but especially helpful for boat crews 200 miles from help.

I suggest you spend some time browsing https://www.ilcor.org, in particular one of the pubs linked: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0300957217306755

EMS cannot give glucose to someone unless they consent.

Why would you say that? I was a working paramedic for 25 years and trust me, we didn't seek or need consent from unresponsive or altered patients in order to treat them. The legal term is implied consent, i.e., it is assumed that an individual would consent to lifesaving medical treatment even if he is unable to say so.

Back
Top Bottom