Accident To Treatment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East West

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A recent accident incident of a rapid accent at 100 + feet in Florida and the outcome after treatment makes me consider in water decompression . This subject has been trashed around and most agree it never should be attempted . My beef is the window of time between accident and treatment is critical with a serious DCS hit . The damage has been done when a hour or more has lapsed . The opinions may be loud against this practice but one should consider the use if you are a advanced diver .

Consider it all you want, just don't try it unless you've no alternative, are well set up for it, have drilled with your team and are way, way, way more than an "advanced diver."

Where is one to draw the line to call it in water recompression ? If a swell pops you to the surface at a twenty minute 10 foot stop , go cry for help or go back down to 15 feet and complete decompression . I sure most would agree to go back down but how about a 20 foot stop missed , go back down or run for help. There is a much to consider on this topic and where it is prudent and then dangerous .

Where is one to draw the line to call it in water recompression ? If a swell pops you to the surface at a twenty minute 10 foot stop , go cry for help or go back down to 15 feet and complete decompression . I sure most would agree to go back down but how about a 20 foot stop missed , go back down or run for help. There is a much to consider on this topic and where it is prudent and then dangerous .
If you have been surfaced for less that 5 minutes and you are no symptomatic you may return to the water and follow appropriate procedures for omitted decompression. Otherwise, it is time for pure oxygen and transport to a chamber. If you have accidentally surfaced from an incomplete safety stop, forget it ... it didn't really matter anyway.

What you just described is not generally what one thinks of as in-water recompression ... that's omitted deco. Most tech agencies will tell you in that case to go back down and complete your deco ... as long as there is a very short time interval involved and you are not feeling any symptoms.

What most consider in-water recompression is when you have surfaced, and start feeling symptoms that lead you to believe you need treatment. Getting back in the water under those circumstances is risky, and you need to weigh the risks against any potential benefit.

As Thal put it, it's not a simple matter ... because going back down under those circumstances might make the problem worse by recompressing bubbles that will then pass through your system to the point where they can cause some real damage. And since you're already symptomatic, you have no way of knowing what other symptoms will occur while you're underwater that may make it impossible for you to help yourself.

At that point, a far better approach is to go on oxygen and take whatever steps you need to get to a chamber. Unless it's a life-or-death situation, I'd say the potential downside of in-water recompression probably outweighs the potential benefit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ianr33 Experienced diver would be a better choice of word to explain myself . I have been weeks on a private 35 foot boat 600 miles from help and have trailered my 19 foot boat 1900 miles from Los Angeles into Mexico for adventurous diving . I think this is a valid reason for me to seek knowledge on this subject .

ianr33 Experienced diver would be a better choice of word to explain myself . I have been weeks on a private 35 foot boat 600 miles from help and have trailered my 19 foot boat 1900 miles from Los Angeles into Mexico for adventurous diving . I think this is a valid reason for me to seek knowledge on this subject .

For the reasons you've cited, in water recompression may be the only viable alternative. For what you are doing, I'd really, really consider investing in one of those emergency O2 rebreathers than DAN sells. I think they call them the REMO2. One of those and a few bottles of O2.

Added...I was just on the DAN site. The store is finally back online...what happened to the REMO2?

Back
Top Bottom