Equipment Woman loses lower leg to prop - Maldives liveaboard

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by equipment failures including personal dive gear, compressors, analyzers, or odd things like a ladder.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Her surfaced marker bouy got tangled in the prop? Or maybe her SMB line was.

A female scuba diver from the liveaboard Maldives Aggressor II is reported to have lost the lower part of her leg after it came into contact with a boat-propeller in the Maldives on the morning of 20 January.

The 63-year-old US tourist had been attempting to surface to the liveaboard’s diving dhoni following a dive off the coast of Hulhumalé, the reclaimed island connected to Malé’s airport island Hulhulé.

”Currently, it is understood that a diver aboard the Maldives Aggressor II experienced an accident where their surface marker buoy became entangled in the dhoni’s propeller, leading to injuries,” stated Aggressor Fleet. “The diver has been taken to a hospital and is reported to be in stable condition.

“A thorough investigation is underway by local authorities and our operations team, who will provide additional details on the incident once the investigation is concluded.”

Most diving around Hulhumalé is on the wreck of the 80m cargo ship Victory. Lying at a maximum depth of 35m, the site can be subject to strong currents.

According to police, the propeller had severed the woman’s leg from the knee down, and members of the Maldives National Defence Force were reported to have carried out an unsuccessful search of the area for the remains of the limb.

The woman was taken to Tree Top Hospital on the island for treatment, while the police continue to investigate the incident.

Thanks for posting this; one more potential hazard to be aware of, I suppose. For her to be in stable condition is no small thing. 63 Years old, a major in-water amputation, I would think extensive bleeding between that and getting hauled into the dhoni, then I wonder how long a time before she was delivered to a hospital and got I.V. fluids, perhaps a transfusion, etc... All while likely lacking access to narcotic painkillers for a long, long time. What a horror.

My guess is that she had the SMB line attached to her BC. Never take that risk comrades.

If the SMB was inflated then I wonder why would someone have it clipped to their BCD... In the Maldives unusually observed everyone holding the SMB as they waited for a pickup... I wonder if the dhoni backed up on the diver or if she surfaced behind the boat.. or maybe there was current that swept her to the back of the boat.. it's so unfortunate but glad that she lived through it.

I wonder why would someone have it clipped to their BCD.
So she wouldn't lose it is my guess. My home buddy once bought a nice, new sausage & reel, stuck it into a BC pocket he left open, then lost it on the first dive of a trip.

What a terrible accident.

One must be careful with a DSMB/SMB. I was on a tech training dive when a diver launched her DSMB from depth. The wreck line attached to it had somehow wrapped around a piece of her gear, and she began being dragged toward the surface. Her buddy quickly cut the line, so no harm--except for the scare. (We were all in deco at the time.)

Here in MO/AR, boats will come very close to your DSMB. I hold my reel lightly, making sure it is held away from my body/gear, with the idea of releasing it NOW if I have to.

rx7diver

It says "their surface marker buoy became entangled in the dhoni’s propeller", not "her surface marker buoy became entangled in the dhoni’s propeller". As far as my experience, only our DMs used surface markers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom