Accident To Treatment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Charles,

I have often wondered, if I was diving in a remote location far from a chamber and without medical help or oxygen, and I had symptoms of DCI, should I try in-water recompression?

All the experts say "NO", but if I thought I was going to end up paralysed, I might take the chance and try it. That being the case, it would be good to have some idea how deep to go, and how long to stay, just in case.

I have tables for IRC. But even surface supplied, with a dive platform and people pumping down the appropriate mix, it's still not recommended in the commercial field unless there really is NO other option.

But, one poster was correct. If you can get to the surface and back down to your depth in 5 minutes or less, you can continue your original deco.

I'm not sure which way I would go. I live in FL, with tons of chambers around and I'm pretty conservative in my diving.

**oh, and Table 6 will take you about 7 hours. Ever tried 100% O2 at 60'? Really want to do that in the water without a tender to shove the mask/regulator back on you?**

You should not continue your original deco. If asymptomatic, and the diver can be returned safely to the water within 5 minutes after surfacing, he or she should dive to the depth of the missed decompression stop and remain for 1½ times the required decompression stop time.

You should not continue your original deco. If asymptomatic, and the diver can be returned safely to the water within 5 minutes after surfacing, he or she should dive to the depth of the missed decompression stop and remain for 1½ times the required decompression stop time.

He's right.

Last edited:

Slightly off topic but I loved this quote from case #6

"After a rapid ascent from about 40 feet, the diver hauled himself over the bow of the 17-foot Boston Whaler (without removing his gear)."

I sure that's only possible due to the additional motivation provided by a large and inquistive tiger shark following you up :)

I once tended to two divers in saturation ( read the story here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/2524-saturation-v-m-c.html ) who suffered a "rapid ascent", from 730 fsw to 620 fsw in just under :1, due to a loss of gas accident in the bell. These two became symptomatic of d.c.s. during the ascent profile - around 470 fsw. The procedure is to recompress the system to a depth of significant relief, then follow a new deco. ( in that case - one that was calculated by the diving contractor's in-house hyperbaric physician ).

I guess that makes it an "in-chamber recompression" - very doable with all the support we had for them; however, it was there ONLY option. I agree with those who look at IRC as a decision of absolute last resort.

And for CNS's sake, if you're going to dive in places where help is hours n' hours away, be kind to your body and practice "Extreme Conservative Profiles".

Regards,
DSD

Back
Top Bottom