Accident at Cave Excursions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luxfer has indicated that the DOT and the Sheriff's office are conducting an investigation and that they will make all results public. How long will that take? Who knows?

novadiver:
The sticker in question is the O2 CLEAN sticker,Was it put on by a dive shop or was it forged, It costs money to clean a tank, and money is the root of all evil.

I don't know, Nor do you! but an investigation is in order.

How many alum. tanks do you own.How many with 100 persent o2 do you want to drop!

Lets see?

I have

8 aluminum 80's
1 Aluminum old 72
3 Aluminum 50's
2 Aluminum 30's
1 Aluminum 13
1 Aluminum 8 (i think)

several of my aluminum cylinders are dedicated cylinders for decompression mixes of 50%, 80% and 100% No other mix is EVER put in the dedicated cylinder except what it is labeled, and yes I made those labels also :)

3 Steel 72's
2 Steel LP 85's
2 Steel LP 104's
2 Steel LP 112's
2 Steel LP 121's
6 Steel 3 liter rebreather cylinders, 3 diluent, 3 100% Oxygen
and a couple I am not sure what they are.

As for the Oxygen Clean sticker, I make my own of them also

Why, because I O2 clean my own cylinders and regs.

I also fill 100% oxygen, all nitrox mixtures and all helium based trimix in my garage or dive trailer and have for 15 years.

The cylinder did not rupture because it was not O2 clean, It ruptured because the aluminum was weakened from years of use, or just a bad alloy. The oxygen fire was caused from the sudden, explosive release of pressure from the failed cylinder.

As in most oxygen fires, it extingueshed itself once the oxygen was consumed. About 5-8 seconds or less. How do I know this, I am also a paid fulltime Firefighter for the past 19 years.

p.s. I slam and bang all my cylinders around every time I use them from being in the back of my truck, on the boat, crawling through tight dry caves, hanging on rope, down cliffs etc..... No one is harder on cylinders than I am.

If you think the sticker is the problem, OK. Thank god your not mixing my cylinders!

Like I said... the boy has got some cylinders to his name.

Most of us who own a bunch of cylinders can not afford to bring them to the LDS for a yearly inspection. Niether can I afford their level of expertise when I have a 3000 bomb on my back. No one worries more about me than me. :D

I feel that cylinder inspections need to be changed... in that there should be mandatory training that is required for shops to charge that $8.00- $15.00 and especially for that $50.00+ they charge to O2 clean the tanks. This in house training crap really upsets me (as well as others) as I feel it misleads the consumer to THINK that they are getting a great service for their gear.

novadiver:
The sticker in question is the O2 CLEAN sticker,Was it put on by a dive shop or was it forged, It costs money to clean a tank, and money is the root of all evil.

I don't know, Nor do you! but an investigation is in order.

How many alum. tanks do you own.How many with 100 persent o2 do you want to drop!

I don't even know how many I have but it's a bunch. I have...three (I think) dedicated to 100% O2. I clean, inspect and fill them at home. Oh yes and I'm trained to do it in that I have some little cards that say I can.

I don't do it on purpose but they get dropped and banged. You try climbing mountains (ok, really big hills) with your gear and see if it doesn't get knocked around. LOL

O2 cleaning your own tanks is a great way to save some money. You will do a better job because you can take all the time you want. Just some simple common sense is all it takes.

Sticker?! We don't need no stinking Stickers! I just take a sharpie and mark the neck of the tank when I did the cleaning and VIP.

Curt Bowen:
Lets see?

I have

8 aluminum 80's
1 Aluminum old 72
3 Aluminum 50's
2 Aluminum 30's
1 Aluminum 13
1 Aluminum 8 (i think)

several of my aluminum cylinders are dedicated cylinders for decompression mixes of 50%, 80% and 100% No other mix is EVER put in the dedicated cylinder except what it is labeled, and yes I made those labels also :)

3 Steel 72's
2 Steel LP 85's
2 Steel LP 104's
2 Steel LP 112's
2 Steel LP 121's
6 Steel 3 liter rebreather cylinders, 3 diluent, 3 100% Oxygen
and a couple I am not sure what they are.

As for the Oxygen Clean sticker, I make my own of them also

Why, because I O2 clean my own cylinders and regs.

I also fill 100% oxygen, all nitrox mixtures and all helium based trimix in my garage or dive trailer and have for 15 years.

The cylinder did not rupture because it was not O2 clean, It ruptured because the aluminum was weakened from years of use, or just a bad alloy. The oxygen fire was caused from the sudden, explosive release of pressure from the failed cylinder.

As in most oxygen fires, it extingueshed itself once the oxygen was consumed. About 5-8 seconds or less. How do I know this, I am also a paid fulltime Firefighter for the past 19 years.

p.s. I slam and bang all my cylinders around every time I use them from being in the back of my truck, on the boat, crawling through tight dry caves, hanging on rope, down cliffs etc..... No one is harder on cylinders than I am.

If you think the sticker is the problem, OK. Thank god your not mixing my cylinders!

We both know that your tanks are not in question.

We both know that you are anal about O2 cleaning.

We both know there was an explosion! (Missing parts)

We both know that someone died.

Don't BS me to think the spark came from gas release.

And we both know FL. over fills air psi in air tanks

I'm not young and I'm not dumb

Give me facts and I'll walk away

O2 doesn't burn without fuel.

Don't BS me anymore!!!!!

Who is this guy? Dude, take a chill pill and read the Oxygen Hackers companion from Airspeed press so you can get your facts straight.

novadiver:

Do yourself and the rest of us here on the Scubaboard a favor.

Slip on your loafers and leave your office cubical, get into your Yugo, drive to cave excursions and set down with Bill (the owner), like I did, speak with the DOT, OSHA and the local Sheriffs department.

Then come back with your facts and let us know what you found. I can set up all the meetings for you with one phone call.

If you want the anwer that bad, do some work to get it.

Other than that, your just speculating and coming up with ZERO facts.

I dont need to BS you, your life and opinions mean less than ZERO to me.

novadiver:

promise? :eyebrow:

facts:

a tank "exploded" after hitting the floor.

tanks don't normally "explode" after hitting the floor.

either this was (a) an unusual floor or (b) an unusual tank

i've seen that floor, and it looks pretty normal to me

which leaves...

the tank?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom