Accident Analysis for recreational diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!:
What I'm referring to would not be rendering "expert opinions." I'm suggesting that it would be fantastic for the recreational diving community to have a standardized data collection system for rec diving accidents. A great volume of information could be collected with each accident, and there would be no room for "opinions."

If thousands of accidents were ultimately collected, a database of variables could be mined to find all sorts of associations, and hopefully lead to interventions that could reduce future diving accidents.
Isn't that what DAN is already doing?

I guess the issue is not that there is info out there, from BSAC or DAN, but there are several issues:
1. People arent well informed of it being out there (i have only heard on here about it)
2. It could be used to ensure training is up to scratch (we all know this problem, tech diving is based on these kind of issues, rec isnt)
3. Many dont know the risks of their activities it seems (from not finding this info or it being presented to them in classes), so it doesnt help them

I am sure there are others, i am sure i could have stated it better, but its early still :wink:

Maybe training with some agencies should be improved to mention these things then but the information is definately there.

Certainly in ocean diver (basic first bsac one) it mentions the reports and procedures. I dont know about other agencies though but id suspect/hoped the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom