Suggestion Absolutely Painful

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
A

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Afer going to DSL some months ago I hadn't used Dial-Up for ScubaBoard. Where I am right now that is all there is. It is a painfully S---L---O---W.

Is there some way to speed it up?

Open Internet explorer 'Internet Options'

Click 'Advanced' tab.

Go down to 'Multimedia Options'

Turn off 'animations' 'picture dithering' and 'show pictures'
Maybe turn on 'use picture place holders'

Then enjoy the internet in all its text-based glory: as it used to be and as God intended it....

I'm not a tec gimp so I'm sure others will pipe in with better suggestions.

Turning off automatic updates for windows, antivirus software etc also helps conserve bandwidth.

Cheers,
Rohan.

firefox is faster than IE for me
That was my recollection also when I used to use dialup.

Also you might want to try using a Dial-up network optimizer. There are different types, some optimize your computer's settings and connection like this one: http://www.hms.com/ispeed.asp

Other types either degrade the graphics quality or cache them so that once you've downloaded an image, it doesn't need to be sent again. Which makes browsing faster since the server doesn't resend a big graphics file.

They're typically found by searching for Dialup Web Accelerators. I had mixed results with one that AT&T provided for free.

Quick Links >> Edit Options >> Forum Skin >> ScubaBoard Lite (PDA Friendly)

The leanest SB style available...

Thanks for the tips

I was on the road when I posted. I haven't had high speed internet at home so long that I can't remember what it was like with dialup. With the flashy graphics the site is very slow. Not the speediest when compared to other sites even with high speed.

I'll definitely use the tips for my cyberdiving.

ArcticDiver:
Afer going to DSL some months ago I hadn't used Dial-Up for ScubaBoard. Where I am right now that is all there is. It is a painfully S---L---O---W.

Is there some way to speed it up?

In the user control panel pick "Options" then under skin (way at the bottom) pick "Lite - PDA Friendly"

Terry

El Orans:
Quick Links >> Edit Options >> Forum Skin >> ScubaBoard Lite (PDA Friendly)

The leanest SB style available...

I previously posted I was going to try your suggestion. You are correct; it is fast and lean. As a matter of fact I'm going to use that mode with my PDA.

But, I couldn't figure out how to do two things in that mode:
-Log Out
-Find some of the Sub-Forums. For example I couldn't find this forum while in the Light Mode.

Also: When in the PDA(Light) mode whenever I tried to go to another mode I got an "error on page" message rather than a change. It was a bit obscure but was able to find control panel and then change back to this mode to use the Suggestions.

Tips? You need to change something?

Anyway, thanks, very useful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom