A Tale of Two Cities (Drysuit-BC)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends on the suit and the underwear (nothing is simple). A single AL80 is about 4 lbs light when empty, I can swing that between a little extra suit squeeze and lowering my breathing mid point so I do not change my weighting. Double steels: what kind of steels? The most recent steel doubles I used were OMS 98s, they're neutral empty and about 16 lbs negative full. I added 4lbs. of hard positive buoyancy (net floats) to my rig and started out about 12 lbs negative.

Thanks for the reply - yeah, I figured it varies quite a bit with size of cylinders, thermals, layering of undergarments, amount of air in suit. Just wanted a reference point to connect your method of buoyancy with weight you're using for your kit. Thanks!

hydro12:
Thanks for the advice.

cavediver and Thal, I know it doesn't directly translate, but just as a reference, for a single al80 and also for double steel Xs, how much weight do you wear w/ your drysuit?

For the Al 80, I was in the low 30's of lead. With double 104's, I carry nothing other than the 6lb backplate. I should also add the single was with a Ranger BC, the doubles are a BP/Wing setup.

I always use my wing for buoyancy control and add air to my DS to counter squeeze. During long deco hangs, I may add more air to my suit and less in my wing, just to keep warm.

As a PADI Drysuit instructor, I have to teach it the way PADI wants. But I do mention this topic to all my DS students.

ppo2_diver:
I always use my wing for buoyancy control and add air to my DS to counter squeeze. During long deco hangs, I may add more air to my suit and less in my wing, just to keep warm.

As a PADI Drysuit instructor, I have to teach it the way PADI wants. But I do mention this topic to all my DS students.
I really love your avatar. I think that whole problem is one of definitions such as "buoyancy control" and "counter squeeze." To my way of thinking if you "counter squeeze" you "contol your buoyancy" ipso facto, except for compression of air that you added to your wing to trim your rig.

I have only dove AL80 with my drysuit but find it much easier to do gross adjustment with the BCD (I use a back inflate with the drysuit) and just pop in enough air for warmth/squeeze into the suit. Using the back-inflate I carry about 16 pounds of weight. Of course the underware makes a difference depending on thickness but for normal weight fleece (think sweat suit) it is easier to use the BCD for me and I get much finer control.

Mike

the big thing to think about with a dry suit if you are useing it to control boy.... is that you have to worry about trapped air as well as the valve does not dump as fast as your bcd so on you way up if you have alot of air its going to keep going up fast if its in you bcd you can dump it fast so you can control this

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom