A poll companion to the recent pony thread. Do you carry one?

Do you carry a pony (a redundant air supply for emergencies, NOT used to extend bottom time .)

• Yes, when I think the profile requires it.

Votes: 64 46.4%
  • Yes, on every dive regarless of profile

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • No, it's not necessary for me ever.

Votes: 25 18.1%
  • I'm on the fence, still deciding.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I don't often because I prefer a stage.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I use another form of gas redundancy.

Votes: 24 17.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a few of you might have noticed, I was curious about the numbers, so here's a poll.

Please do not use this as another discussion on whether one is necessary. Continue to use Is there a valid reason for a pony bottle

Hi Fastmarc,

Good thread and good poll.

I am surprised by the numbers (of course, this is not a scientific poll). I am surprised at the percentages of divers who use it always (about 20% as of this post), and those who use one when the profile requires it (about 32% as of this post).

I am with the posters who say they don't even know they are diving with one, either slung or back mounted. I don't notice the pony either.

I notice the 40cf when I am ingressing and egressing the water. That's about it.

I use one always, but I vary the size depending on the risk assessment for the dive.

markm

I dive mostly in the cold Great Lakes, right through the winter months. I’m either diving sidemount, or backmount doubles. On rarer occasions when diving a single tank, I sling a 40cuft. If I’m in warm water: sidemount or single tank backmount with whatever rental tank I can get to sling. It’s rare that tropical destinations have 40cuft in my experience, so sometimes I have slung an 80cuft when solo diving.

Hi Fastmarc,

Good thread and good poll.

I am surprised by the numbers (of course, this is not a scientific poll). I am surprised at the percentages of divers who use it always (about 20% as of this post), and those who use one when the profile requires it (about 32% as of this post).

I am with the posters who say they don't even know they are diving with one, either slung or back mounted. I don't notice the pony either.

I notice the 40cf when I am ingressing and egressing the water. That's about it.

I use one always, but I vary the size depending on the risk assessment for the dive.

markm
I think it's largely a matter of scubaboard users being atypical. There's lots of enthusiast here, lots of professionals. I bet if you go to a popular dive operator in a popular location you'd have trouble finding a pony on any customer. I'm not out on dive boats as often as many of you guys are, but until I got my pony I think I only ever saw someone carrying one once. She was another scubaboard user on a scubaboard dive trip.

Heck, most divers don't even own a single tank - let along an "extra" pony bottle and an "extra" regulator to put on it.

I think polls like this are fun, but I doubt they represent an accurate proportion of "average divers."

I think it's largely a matter of scubaboard users being atypical. There's lots of enthusiast here, lots of professionals. I bet if you go to a popular dive operator in a popular location you'd have trouble finding a pony on any customer. I'm not out on dive boats as often as many of you guys are, but until I got my pony I think I only ever saw someone carrying one once. She was another scubaboard user on a scubaboard dive trip.

Heck, most divers don't even own a single tank - let along an "extra" pony bottle and an "extra" regulator to put on it.

I think polls like this are fun, but I doubt they represent an accurate proportion of "average divers."

Hi kelemvor,

I agree, that is why I added the caveat regarding: (…this is not a scientific pole) to my post that you replied to.

Is her name Jody?

In California I see a plurality of divers with ponies. A small plurality that is.

I agree with you on all points.

markm

They're honestly not that uncommon down here in South Florida. I see divers using them fairly regularly off of Palm Beach and Broward counties especially among spearfisherman. Those folks are always solo and many of them carry a pony as a result. It also isn't uncommon to see doubles and rebreathers either especially on the boats that cater to advanced and technical divers.

Another location that I used to dive regularly where it was quite common is on the Great Lakes. Singles with a pony or doubles were more common than not due to the cold water.

Hi kelemvor,

I agree, that is why I added the caveat regarding: (…this is not a scientific pole) to my post that you replied to.

Is her name Jody?

In California I see a plurality of divers with ponies. A small plurality that is.

I agree with you on all points.

markm
Yep, Jody.

I can't post that I never use a pony bottle, however I don't like to tote a pony around so most times I use IDs instead. I consider IDs a good way to extend BT and increase the safety factor by having independent air supplies. The 2 rotator cuffs op on my right shoulder precludes my reaching manifolds, so regular doubles don't do it for me. To compound that fact I'm due for surgery on my left shoulder the end of the month. IDs forever I guess.

I can't post that I never use a pony bottle, however I don't like to tote a pony around so most times I use IDs instead. I consider IDs a good way to extend BT and increase the safety factor by having independent air supplies. The 2 rotator cuffs op on my right shoulder precludes my reaching manifolds, so regular doubles don't do it for me. To compound that fact I'm due for surgery on my left shoulder the end of the month. IDs forever I guess.

It is hell to get old. Nothing works correctly.

markm

Back
Top Bottom