A poll companion to the recent pony thread. Do you carry one?

Do you carry a pony (a redundant air supply for emergencies, NOT used to extend bottom time .)

• Yes, when I think the profile requires it.

Votes: 64 46.4%
  • Yes, on every dive regarless of profile

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • No, it's not necessary for me ever.

Votes: 25 18.1%
  • I'm on the fence, still deciding.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I don't often because I prefer a stage.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I use another form of gas redundancy.

Votes: 24 17.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use another form of (self) gas redundancy:
tiny sidemount for solo and dives with friends.

Your numbers might get odd if sidemount, doubles, my max two feet away ever buddy, and my around usually sometimes buddy all fall in the same category....

You might split another into another-self-form and another-trusted-buddy-form, or mark it another (self) form.

Having just gotten a pony for Christmas, I've been enjoying the threads on this. That said, sinusitis has kept me out of the water so I haven't been able to play with it yet. I chose how I PLAN to use it once I've worked through any bugs on practice runs to shallow depth.

in cold water, I may bring a pony, so if I end up getting a freeze/freeflow, I will go to my pony in the event I need an alternate air source so that I do not add additional load on my buddy's first stage.

+1

Having just gotten a pony for Christmas, I've been enjoying the threads on this. That said, sinusitis has kept me out of the water so I haven't been able to play with it yet. I chose how I PLAN to use it once I've worked through any bugs on practice runs to shallow depth.

I think you're going to be surprised how quickly you forget you are carrying one. I was and I am slinging it. I genuinely doubted when I saw other posted this claim.

I think you're going to be surprised how quickly you forget you are carrying one. I was and I am slinging it. I genuinely doubted when I saw other posted this claim.
Indeed: I'm a "strong back, weak mind" kind of guy so I'll be having it on my back. I'm guessing I won't notice it in the water, maybe just carrying the extra weight to the beach.

Yup. Tucked away, I don't even notice it. I have, on the other hand, caught myself checking occasionally to make sure it was still there while diving because I didn't notice it.

Now I need multiselect :wink:

If I'm diving solo on a single at any depths beyond 30' or so, I'll sling a AL40 as a pony. I also frequently dive doubles especially if diving solo at depths beyond 90' or so. I also use my doubles for technical diving and my 40s as deco bottles. Same equipment that serves multiple purposes depending upon the unique needs of the dive.

I just switched to diving a CCR. But, once I started diving doubles, I pretty much have only dived doubles since. Except for a couple of trips to MX and Hawaii, where I was diving single tank back mount. Regardless, I have never carried a pony bottle. Back mount doubles is my redundancy.

Back
Top Bottom