A poll companion to the recent pony thread. Do you carry one?

Do you carry a pony (a redundant air supply for emergencies, NOT used to extend bottom time .)

• Yes, when I think the profile requires it.

Votes: 64 46.4%
  • Yes, on every dive regarless of profile

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • No, it's not necessary for me ever.

Votes: 25 18.1%
  • I'm on the fence, still deciding.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I don't often because I prefer a stage.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I use another form of gas redundancy.

Votes: 24 17.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on what you include in your definition of "profile".
For me it is profile and conditions (esp water temp).
For a deep dive in warm water, I will not generally bring my pony.
For the same depth/time profile in cold water, I may bring a pony, so if I end up getting a freeze/freeflow, I will go to my pony in the event I need an alternate air source so that I do not add additional load on my buddy's first stage.

I'm solidly with 'when required'.

But when it is the only gas supply that I have (for a quick look-see dive) am I still diving with a pony?.

I carry one on the dives with profiles that need it because I think they need it and on dives with profiles that don't for practice for the ones that do.

I voted “When I think the profile (dive) requires it.

Most times diving Florida I dive with a slung bottle. These are mostly aggressive and also often solo dives. Redundency diving the Carolina coast as well.

Air travel? No. These tend to be less aggressive dives and rarely solo. Eric however does most trips (he did not on a recent GC trip and likely will not because of weight restrictions for an upcoming LC trip). On the rare instance Eric isn’t diving I would use his.

I recommend re-wording the "No, it's not necessary ever" option as "No, it's not necessary ever for me" if that's what you mean. Surely you aren't asking for an opinion whether it's ever necessary for someone else?

Since you updated the poll to add the option of "I use another form of gas redundancy," I changed my response to that. My buddy is my gas redundancy.

I recommend re-wording the "No, it's not necessary ever" option as "No, it's not necessary ever for me" if that's what you mean. Surely you aren't asking for an opinion whether it's ever necessary for someone else?

That's a good suggestion.
Could you modify? I'm unable to.

That's a good suggestion.
Could you modify? I'm unable to.

Done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom