A different take on Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

19 pages and I am still waiting for the part that we agree on certifications which makes diver able to do certain things that wasn’t possible previously without that certification worth to take and rest is endless money pit of the agencies.

:popcorn:
No one will ever be able to agree on what constitutes a Master Diver. If someone had every cert known to man, some would still argue it wasn’t enough.

as a recreational scuba diver would it be more important to
Be able to plan my dive in any situation I am put in.
Be able to evaluate my dive situation and abilities to know when not to attempt the dive.

as a recreational scuba diver would it be more important to
Be able to plan my dive in any situation I am put in.
Be able to evaluate my dive situation and abilities to know when not to attempt the dive.
Why must you choose between these? Are they not just marks along the same continuum?
After all, "planning your dive" may mean "planning not to do this particular dive."

Why must you choose between these? Are they not just marks along the same continuum?
After all, "planning your dive" may mean "planning not to do this particular dive."

I get the point he’s pushing at (I think)

As a recreational diver - in particular a tropical warm water reef diver, I don’t feel the expectation that I could drop into any body of water in the world and expect to be able to complete any dive the location has to offer.

That is different that being a warm water reef diver who one day looks at the reef and says “yes I can dive” and the next day, at the same reef, says “no not today”.

But there not divers, anyone who can't plan and execute a dive in unknown water and conditions, unassisted, is a learner diver.
As a pro diver I can see your point.
As a rec diver I think what I have been taught in this journey to MSD has given me a peek into my skill level and limitations. This gives me the judgement when to say no. Which is more important to me and safer for the people I dive with.

Yes I will always be a learner diver.

What’s this apple thread?

The new Apple Watch will support an app that will turn it into a dive computer.

Yes the PADI system works as it gets people in the water quickly, you can travel to most dive destinations and be in the water as a complete beginner in a day. But to get the most out of your new adventure spending time diving with friends is great. How far you take it is entirely up to you, but all the best.
I often recommend to go PADI (or another commercial agency) to my colleagues who want to just try scuba.

It’s great that they can try this on a holiday by spending a few days and paying a relatively small fee for the amount of training …

The new Apple Watch will support an app that will turn it into a dive computer.

That’s amazing, although it seems that it is rated only up to 40m ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom