A couple gear questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not at all. I simply think the particular BCD is significantly overpriced, and I think the Genesis reg is of marginal quality; and, if you stick with diving you will quite possibly find you want other gear. SB is extensively populated with threads involving divers who buy new gear very early, and later wishing they had waited.

But, as I noted, there is nothing wrong with the gear in the context of what a new diver might need. And, gear selection is a matter of personal preference, mine happens to be just that - mine. I also think the divergence of responses to the thread posted here, and the other forum in which you posted is interesting.

Thanks for clarifying. I can see your point, my wife actually shares your concern. Much like when I took up golf a decade ago, I bought gear right away and in the last 8 years I've upgraded and replaced it all 3 complete times. In this particular instance I do have a couple options. I have a few family members that are starting out now as well. They won't be purchasing gear for some time yet and would likely be interested in mine should I choose to replace it down the road. My wife is also considering the sport and my son is not far off either. He is going to be starting the 'Scuba Rangers' this spring. My LDS also has a policy that if I want to upgrade down the road, so long as the gear is in good condition and maintained by him, I can upgrade by paying the difference in the retail amounts. For example, if I paid $400 for a piece of equipment a year ago and the new item I want is currently $600, I only pay him $200. First I've ever heard of that in retail, but it is great for his customer. Despite my initial concern, I have a lot of faith and respect for the owner of my LDS and I suppose the next while will either confirm that for me or not. I believe it will.

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2013 at 10:44 AM ----------

While I have the attention of those with so much more experience than I (pretty much everyone I suppose)....
Is there any other items you think I might want to have along with me? I received a dive light for xmas, but is there anything else I might wish I had when I go?

I can vouch for the AVID as being a fine BC. Mine is hung up after 400+ dives as I did move to a plate and wing format. I now have better mobility ranging from trunks to cold water drysuit diving. My Avid got crowded in the drysuit but I it was a big soze range. Other than that the AVID dove every bit as nice, sometimes I think maybe even nicer than what I now have. It's a really well thought out full featured jacket.

Pete

If I was to be completely honest with myself, I will think if I had not seen a large price difference between the 2 regs online, after being told the difference was $50, i probably wouldn't be asking these questions. But it has now planted a seed of doubt in my head about everything else I was told.

Cap... Pretty sure I know where your at right now... "What the hell am I going to do now cause I am more confused now than before!!!" I know I was when I first started diving. That's why I think people should rent before buying. I did and its how I decided on the bp/w. Was just finishing up OW at Gennie Springs, local shop rented transpaks, me and the wife both tried one and liked it. Pretty much the same concept as a bp/w. I went with the plate and the wife still dives the transpak...! I also like this concept when buying a car if possible...

You are always going to find three camps of people regardless the subject, ones that are pro, those that are con, and then the neutral... Me; trying to be neutral on this subject.

The Avid weighs right at 9lbs fresh out of the box (more in a PM), my bp/w weighs 22 lbs but that is complete and ready to dive salt water (8lbs of lead, SMB, knife, backup light, and several bolt snaps) but if I weighed minimal, AL plate, sta, harness, wing (oxycheq 40 sign) which would compare to the Avid out of the box it weighs just over 9lbs... pretty much the same.

I have the Wisdom2 as a backup and my wife still dives the wisdom2. Nice unit and will last a long time if taken care of as long as your diving air or nitrox. I have moved on to a wrist mount but I have nothing but a positive experience with the wisdom2. One problem you can find on the net and I experienced myself is the side button can malfunction on you. Happened to me while in Bonaire and how I ended up with my wrist mount (Oceanic VT3) which I love... The wisdom2 was replaced by sherwood at no cost, just bad timing. I also just received a Wisdom3 (more in a PM)

I have the SR1 which I have had little to no problem, wife also. There have been issues witnessed by some but not myself. I know Sherwood is replacing a certain item when it comes in for service but the shop needs to know to replace it! Also, as posted by herman, there are a lot of shops out there that can not work on the SR1. It is more complicated and I ran into this issue while diving in Roatan. It was wheezing on me and I took it to the shop, asked them if they could work on Sherwood; "sure" we can; SR1... "nope"! Not that big of a deal but the other divers always knew where I was at... :(

But as I said, do your homework but someday you will make a decision, good, bad, or indifferent... If you get serious about the sport, you will upgrade pretty much all of your gear due to one thing or another; wearing out the old, new technology, specialized, lighter, better, and on and on go the reasons... I happen to be a fan of the "just fricken because...!"

PM coming your way... lee

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2013 at 11:52 AM ----------

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The threads were merged as they started out with identical posts. All replies to the second thread are now a part of the current thread and appear in the order they were posted according to the time/date stamps.

Thanks Quero

I'm looking forward to picking it all up Tuesday and heading to the pool to get comfortable with everything. My LDS owner has set up 3 pool sessions with me before I head south to help me get comfortable with everything and learn the Wisdom 2. Another aspect of his professionalism i find reassuring.

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2013 at 11:06 AM ----------

Cap... Pretty sure I know where your at right now... "What the hell am I going to do now cause I am more confused now than before!!!" I know I was when I first started diving. That's why I think people should rent before buying. I did and its how I decided on the bp/w. Was just finishing up OW at Gennie Springs, local shop rented transpaks, me and the wife both tried one and liked it. Pretty much the same concept as a bp/w. I went with the plate and the wife still dives the transpak...! I also like this concept when buying a car if possible...

You are always going to find three camps of people regardless the subject, ones that are pro, those that are con, and then the neutral... Me; trying to be neutral on this subject.

The Avid weighs right at 9lbs fresh out of the box (more in a PM), my bp/w weighs 22 lbs but that is complete and ready to dive salt water (8lbs of lead, SMB, knife, backup light, and several bolt snaps) but if I weighed minimal, AL plate, sta, harness, wing (oxycheq 40 sign) which would compare to the Avid out of the box it weighs just over 9lbs... pretty much the same.

I have the Wisdom2 as a backup and my wife still dives the wisdom2. Nice unit and will last a long time if taken care of as long as your diving air or nitrox. I have moved on to a wrist mount but I have nothing but a positive experience with the wisdom2. One problem you can find on the net and I experienced myself is the side button can malfunction on you. Happened to me while in Bonaire and how I ended up with my wrist mount (Oceanic VT3) which I love... The wisdom2 was replaced by sherwood at no cost, just bad timing. I also just received a Wisdom3 (more in a PM)

I have the SR1 which I have had little to no problem, wife also. There have been issues witnessed by some but not myself. I know Sherwood is replacing a certain item when it comes in for service but the shop needs to know to replace it! Also, as posted by herman, there are a lot of shops out there that can not work on the SR1. It is more complicated and I ran into this issue while diving in Roatan. It was wheezing on me and I took it to the shop, asked them if they could work on Sherwood; "sure" we can; SR1... "nope"! Not that big of a deal but the other divers always knew where I was at... :(

But as I said, do your homework but someday you will make a decision, good, bad, or indifferent... If you get serious about the sport, you will upgrade pretty much all of your gear due to one thing or another; wearing out the old, new technology, specialized, lighter, better, and on and on go the reasons... I happen to be a fan of the "just fricken because...!"

PM coming your way... lee

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2013 at 11:52 AM ----------

Thanks Quero

Thanks Lee, I'll watch for the PM.

The wisdom 2 and the VT3 are made by the same people. American underwater products.

Really? Not saying they are not but can find no reference to the two being linked on the web... None the less; The wisdom2 worked well for me when I needed it and I am quite happy with the VT3 until I move on to tirmix...! lee

The wisdom 2 and the VT3 are made by the same people. American underwater products.

Got my first chance to try all the new gear in the pool. What a huge difference from the rental gear that we used in class. Tough to get more than a quick sense of what it will be like in a 15ft pool for an hour, but I'm liking it all very much so far. Thanks to everyone for their input.

The biggest reason very one is telling you that use rental gear instead of buying . Is you may change how /and what style of diving you do (cold water worm water ,Tech. ,reck )and you will find that you my like a different style BCD (BACK INFLATE , BACK PLATE & WING , JACKET W/ INTEGRATED WEIGHTS , EXT....)It could save you a lot of money. i have gone to a BP&W from a jacket /w integrated weight . after 3 years

I appreciate the point of view that these people have. In my case, I'm not too concerned about that aspect. I know what I am comfortable with at this point and I prefer not having to use rental gear when ever I want to head out. If in the future I want to change some parts, then so be it. I look after my things and I can either trade it toward something new or pass it along to someone I know that will make use of it. Same as I have done with other things like golf clubs. For the short term I know I have pretty decent equipment I can rely on and not need to worry about the hassle of renting. I look forward to the day that I feel the need to either upgrade or switch to another style because that means I have had many underwater adventures and kept with this amazing sport.

Really? Not saying they are not but can find no reference to the two being linked on the web... None the less; The wisdom2 worked well for me when I needed it and I am quite happy with the VT3 until I move on to tirmix...! lee

Yes they are made by the same company, just look at the pro plus 2 or the aeris AI, But all I meant was if you like the sherwood you like the oceanic since they are the same computer format.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom