A couple gear questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capnhook

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Let me begin by saying I have recently completed my intro course and will be doing my OW later this month in Mexico. Earlier this week I went to my LDS and bought my gear. I felt at a real disadvantage, not knowing a lot about the different gear and their price points. My question is about regulators. It came down to a choice between the Sherwood SR1 and the Genesis GS2000. It was put to me that "if you were to blindfold someone, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference in how they perform". It was also told to me that they only varied in price by $50 and that the Genesis was alot nicer for him to service. He explained that he uses the GS2000 as do half of his staff, the other half use the SR1 (partly, he thought, because it is prettier). As I mentioned, I have no real point of reference. I also purchased the Sherwood Wisdom 2 (only difference with the new 3 is cosmetic) and the Avid CQR3 bc. Can someone please give me their informed opinion on this as I am going to pick it all up on Monday. Thanks in advance.

Well, I would do a search here on those regs to see what others have already said about them. A quick google places those regs as fairly expensive depending on who is selling them, not that it means it makes them the best. The main thing is that you are comfortable with them. Just about any reg on the market today will be a good performer for warm water recreational diving. The only thing that slaps me in the face is your local retailer said the Sherwood are nicer for him to service. That alone tells me he may not know how to service other regs or is not certified to service other regs. Any retailer worth their salt should be able to service any reg they sell.

That bcd should do you just fine, but once again you need to be comfortable in it. It has plenty of "D" rings to hang stuff from and should do you good. I have an Oceanic Probe bcd that I have tons of dives in and it is great for what it does.

Where are you going for your checkout dives? Bruce

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2013 at 07:04 PM ----------

P.S.

Have you bought a computer yet? If not go to dive computer training and you can do a lot of research there. B

Let me begin by saying I have recently completed my intro course and will be doing my OW later this month in Mexico. Earlier this week I went to my LDS and bought my gear. I felt at a real disadvantage, not knowing a lot about the different gear and their price points. . . . As I mentioned, I have no real point of reference. I also purchased the Sherwood Wisdom 2 (only difference with the new 3 is cosmetic) and the Avid CQR3 bc. Can someone please give me their informed opinion on this as I am going to pick it all up on Monday.
The challenge in responding to questions like this is that gear choices and preferences are very subjective, and quite personal. The gear you selected would probably serve well under the conditions to which most new divers expose their equipment.

Having said that, I will offer what you asked for - MY informed opinion (which may or may not be the same as anyone else's).

1. The comment that you probably won't be able to tell the difference between the Genesis and the Sherwood is fair. Personally, if I was given a new Genesis reg as a gift, I would quietly sell it on ebay, and use whatever I got for it to buy a good reg - perhaps a good used Apeks DST which comes to mind. I service regs, and I find Genesis to be of marginal quality, and I wouldn't care to own one. I am glad that the shop you visited likes to service them. That had not been my experience.

2. The particular BCD is a weight-integrated, jacket BCD. I personally do not care for weight-integrated BCDs, not would I buy a jacket as my primary unit. Moreover, while I don't know what you are paying, the online prices for a new Avid CQR3 are absurdly high.

You would be MUCH better served to wait to buy gear until after you OW certification, use whatever the facility in Mexico provides, rent some gear for a while after certification, THEN think about buying.

But, it is YOUR money, and this is (only) MY opinion, which took 12 years and ~800 dives to evolve.

The BCD is a good choice, not sure what else you had to select from, but it is a nice BCD.

The SR1 is by far superior to the 2000, go with it.

Can't really fault the Wisdom.

Thanks Bruce. Just to clarify, my lds is solely a Sherwood/Genesis dealer. He was simply saying as an aside that he preferred working on the GS2000 vs the SR1. Anyway, I tried in vain to find any side by side comparison of the 2 regs. I did notice at places like LP, the price difference is more than $50 though. I have a villa in Akumal rented later this month and I was recommended Natalie and Ivan, I will check them out i think. Thanks again.

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2013 at 09:13 PM ----------

The BCD is a good choice, not sure what else you had to select from, but it is a nice BCD.

The SR1 is by far superior to the 2000, go with it.

Can't really fault the Wisdom.

Thanks for the input, but being a newb, can you explain why you have that opinion?

good move you will get the best service on the one he likes to service there all very good Sherwood is very dependable I have several old ones in rental and hold up and breath good

The challenge in responding to questions like this is that gear choices and preferences are very subjective, and quite personal. The gear you selected would probably serve well under the conditions to which most new divers expose their equipment.

Having said that, I will offer what you asked for - MY informed opinion (which may or may not be the same as anyone else's).

1. The comment that you probably won't be able to tell the difference between the Genesis and the Sherwood is fair. Personally, if I was given a new Genesis reg as a gift, I would quietly sell it on ebay, and use whatever I got for it to buy a good reg - perhaps a good used Apeks DST which comes to mind. I service regs, and I find Genesis to be of marginal quality, and I wouldn't care to own one. I am glad that the shop you visited likes to service them. That had not been my experience.

2. The particular BCD is a weight-integrated, jacket BCD. I personally do not care for weight-integrated BCDs, not would I buy a jacket as my primary unit. Moreover, while I don't know what you are paying, the online prices for a new Avid CQR3 are absurdly high.

You would be MUCH better served to wait to buy gear until after you OW certification, use whatever the facility in Mexico provides, rent some gear for a while after certification, THEN think about buying.

But, it is YOUR money, and this is (only) MY opinion, which took 12 years and ~800 dives to evolve.

Gear is bought and paid for. Is you reasoning that I may not want to stick with diving and thus it would be a waste? If that is it, I'm confident that won't be the case. While scuba is new to me, I was a competitive speed swimmer, snorkled and spearfished avidly for 25 years now and generally prefer to be in the water over land. I just want some informed assistance to make sure I'm getting sound advice. I consider someone of your experience a great resource and I appreciate the comments.

the wisdon is a fine piece of gear made by american dive products in san leandro ca. as oceanic and about 4 other brands are made

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2013 at 07:41 PM ----------

the wisdon is a fine piece of gear made by american dive products in san leandro ca. as oceanic and about 4 other brands are made

I think you should have asked before you purchased all that you did... I would have suggested using the shops gear through out your OW... That would have given you some idea of what you like and don't like.

I have the SR1 and they just came out with or are coming out with the SR2. SR1 got a pretty bad rap for free flows but I have not had a problem with mine in 400 dives or so... I don't know anything about the Genesis but these guys are going to sell you what they carry... SR1 is a fine regulator, not "just pretty" but I would do my homework and see if you truly want to go with either of these regs... and I could not care less which is easier for him to service!!! Wisdom2 is a fine computer but you should have gotten it at a really good price since the wisdom3 has been out for some time now...

Biggest mistake all new divers (and some of us old divers) is were in a rush!!! Don't be in a rush and buy it once...!!!

lee

PS do your homework and search the forum for GS2000 and see what others are saying and do the same for SR1 and Avid's... You have to weed out the bs and lies so use good common sense with your choices... Who knows, you may like the backplate and a scubapro reg...

lee

Thanks for the advice, it's truly appreciated. I know I am often guilty of rushing. In general the LDS here has a good rep and his asst instructors are great as well. I did get a really good deal on the Wisdom 2, but wasn't clear if the Wisdom 3 offered any advantages. I had originally done quite a bit of reading and pretty much decided on the SR1. When I got down there, we got to talking and he offered the 2000 as an alternative. He stated that he used the 2000 and showed me it in his office with the rest of his gear (which i saw him using at our pool sessions as well). I decided to defer to his 35 years and 5000+ dive experience. That being said, I guess the reason I'm on here is it wasn't familiar to me like I had prepared with the Sr1.

Back
Top Bottom