A couple gear questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the wisdon is a fine piece of gear made by american dive products in san leandro ca. as oceanic and about 4 other brands are made

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2013 at 07:41 PM ----------

the wisdon is a fine piece of gear made by american dive products in san leandro ca. as oceanic and about 4 other brands are made

Seems to be from the bit I've played with it. Going to get it wet in the on Tuesday.

You have to be careful with these shops... the instructors, assistant's, DM's all ware the shops equipment... They want you to buy it!!! Its fine to buy the shops equipment... hell, I see good reason to buy at your local shop but I will tell you the same as I tell my shop; I know what I want and if you can not get it for a reasonable price then I am buying what I want somewhere else...

This is fine as I always go back to my shop when I need something he carries...!!!

Support your local shop but BUY the gear you want, not what they want to sell you!!!

lee

Last edited:
While some have had luck with the SR-1 others have had nothing but trouble with it. From a tech point of view it is overly complex with an excessive number of parts. Parts which are unique to that reg and will likely be hard to come by shorty after the reg is discontinued. There are a lot better choices to be had. I am a big fan of the older Sherwoods but the SR-1 is one I would not even consider.

If I was to be completely honest with myself, I will think if I had not seen a large price difference between the 2 regs online, after being told the difference was $50, i probably wouldn't be asking these questions. But it has now planted a seed of doubt in my head about everything else I was told.

Herman makes a fair statement about the SR1... I believe all of the bugs have been worked out and will be calling it the sr2 to distance itself with the issues of the sr1. I read up on the gs2000 and found most seem to like it. Keep doing your homework... lee

But it has now planted a seed of doubt in my head about everything else I was told.
As long as you mentioned it...:wink: the Avid isn't really optimized for packing for travel and is a little overkill for warm water - I noticed you list going to Akumal in Feb. But if you're also going to dive locally, it's an acceptable choice.

Does your LDS sell any similarly priced back-inflate models? you may like them better. I personally don't like the confined feeling I get when a jacket inflates around my midsection. Also downward visibility is better in a back-inflate or backplate/wing design - they're often less cluttered also. I could make a case for streamlining also...

Many people start out in a jacket then switch to either a back-inflate or backplate/wing setup. Few ever switch back.

my .02

:(​I have been selling gear for over 40 years you cant go wrong with sherwood or any other good brand regulator have fun and enjoy however I would try to change for a more standard sherwood like a oasis or brute anybody can work on them with out sp tools and parts they are time proven and are very good sport regs (I looked at my repair manual)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gear is bought and paid for. Is you reasoning that I may not want to stick with diving and thus it would be a waste?
Not at all. I simply think the particular BCD is significantly overpriced, and I think the Genesis reg is of marginal quality; and, if you stick with diving you will quite possibly find you want other gear. SB is extensively populated with threads involving divers who buy new gear very early, and later wishing they had waited.

But, as I noted, there is nothing wrong with the gear in the context of what a new diver might need. And, gear selection is a matter of personal preference, mine happens to be just that - mine. I also think the divergence of responses to the thread posted here, and the other forum in which you posted is interesting.

I also think the divergence of responses to the thread posted here, and the other forum in which you posted is interesting.

Colliam, I would be interested in this other thread... I took a shot where I thought it might be but I was wrong! Would you PM me the site?

Thanks, lee

Colliam, I would be interested in this other thread... I took a shot where I thought it might be but I was wrong! Would you PM me the site?

Thanks, lee

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The threads were merged as they started out with identical posts. All replies to the second thread are now a part of the current thread and appear in the order they were posted according to the time/date stamps.

Back
Top Bottom