71.2 cuft tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those are big differences IMO. The neutral empty part is especially important. I also like the smaller diameter of the 72s; it makes for great small doubles. I assume you're talking about the worthingtons? The 28lb weight is pretty attractive to me; maybe I'll try to find a used one.

The only big difference from my perspective is the length and to me a tank that's 6" shorter has an advantage over a larger tank. As far as the negativity goes, I dive in cold water, so maybe I have a minority opinion, but for me, 3 pounds more negative just means 3 pounds less lead.

BTW, I did my 10th dive with the RAM you sold me the other day and I'm liking it more with each dive. I've done the last 6 or 7 doublehose dives with no BC as well and my buoyancy control just gets better with each dive. Last week I dove my modern equipment one day and the vintage gear the next and I didn't even notice any significant difference in breathing effort. At this point I slightly prefer the double hose just because it seems to let me get closer to the fish.

I ended up taking an old hollow backpack, filling it with lead shot and rigging up a single piece harness through it. It works great and allows me to position the regulator perfectly.

This is a photo of me using a steel 80 cubic foot tank, which I believe was a 2475 psi fill. It was one of my first tanks, the first being a used 38 cubic foot tank with a 1800 psi fill.
ClearLake74.jpg

This tank was from about 1966 or so. It was out several years before the aluminum tanks made their presence known.

The USD twin 72s were known for corrosion problems, as some of them were painted without any galvanization below them. Probably because of this, the steel tanks started getting a bad name. But I like the size and feel of the single 72, and have two of them now. So far as being balanced, they really are quite nicely balanced. I have taken one off in the pool, and used it in front of me (finswimming style) without any buoyancy issues.

SeaRat

6 of my steel 72's have migrated into double sets. Two with vintage J 62 manifolds and one set with a modern double iso manifold. My favorite though is a steel 70 from '55. It is lighter then the 72's and a delight to use. I wish I had more of those.

I just found a galvinized 72 w/ a SP adjustable J valve w/ pull rod and plastic bac-pack for sale. Last VIP sticker 1974. Price $10.00.:D Also 2 galvinized 90's for $100.00 per tank. I'm waiting to hear from both parties.:coffee:

Last edited:
Afterdark!, your quote at the end of your post: I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them.

From the movie the Shootist, quoted by John Wayne.....correct?

I used to teach allot of kids and the old steel 72 was the perfect tank for the ocean dives (too heavy for the pool though).
They're lighter (out of the water) and smaller. Hold the same amount of air as an 80 with a little overfill and weigh more in the water.
Plus weight belts with more than 6lbs of weight on them don't stay on a skinny rake of a 12 year old.
Summer time in a shorty with a Al plate.....no weight needed.
Winter time in a 5/3mm suit with a SS plate....no weight needed.
I have 16 of them.

Blasphemy I admit but I prefer the standard 80. No fuss, no bother.

That said, I also have two LP85s and they are more difficult to dive sans BC than an 80 but just by a hair, I think Faber could lop a few inches off and give us a nice "72" and I would definitely purchase a couple if not replace my hodge podge fleet with them

The resort we stayed at in Cayman had an odd aluminum 72. It was 6.9 diameter which meant everything had to be readjusted and then when I went on a private charter they of course had 80s which meant I had to readjust and then back to the resort and readjust again. PITA.

N <---function and practical

Afterdark!, your quote at the end of your post: I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them.

From the movie the Shootist, quoted by John Wayne.....correct?

Yes sir you are correct. It's a reminder to myself to try and remain civil in the face of the nonsense I find in some parts of this site. It takes much restraint not to use such words as stupid, moron, retard, and the like at times.:wink:

I just found a galvinized 72 w/ a SP adjustable J valve w/ pull rod and plastic bac-pack for sale. Last VIP sticker 1974. Price $10.00.:D Also 2 galvinized 90's for $100.00 per tank. I'm waiting to hear from both parties.:coffee:

Yes sir you are correct. It's a reminder to myself to try and remain civil in the face of the nonsense I find in some parts of this site. It takes much restraint not to use such words as stupid, moron, retard, and the like at times.:wink:

In Texas we'd rather just shoot them.............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom