71.2 cuft tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THEY STOPPED MAKING STEEL 72's SOME TIME AGO ?????????........OMG!!!!!!!
I just bought two brand new steel 72's for my wife last year with a born on date of 2008.
Now you're telling me these tanks are a figment of my imagination?........NFW.....LMAO
Wait til my wife finds out she's been diving with imaginary tanks.

Other than capacity, entirely different tank from the ones being discussed and with none of the advantages buoyancy wise of the old 72.

Vintage 72 2250+10% 6.9" 24" 28# 0 -4.5
PST MP 72 3300 72 6.9 20.75 30# -6 -11.4
Faber 72 3000+10% 72 6.75 20.5 28.7# -3.7 -8.45

Yeah, I figured it was a Faber. Not the same at all as the venerable, original 72.

Other than capacity, entirely different tank from the ones being discussed and with none of the advantages buoyancy wise of the old 72.

Vintage 72 2250+10% 6.9" 24" 28# 0 -4.5
PST MP 72 3300 72 6.9 20.75 30# -6 -11.4
Faber 72 3000+10% 72 6.75 20.5 28.7# -3.7 -8.45

OK, I'll give you that.
My wife can dive her newer 72's with no lead and her trim is perfect, unlike my old 72's which need about 4 additional pounds to sink her.

back in the day, the battle lines were drawn between steel 72's and Al 80's and the were as divided as todays split fin debates. Divers that dived steel really didn't like the AL tanks, they felt like corks. Buoyancy control pre BC's was a physical issue not a mechanical one. The steels had been around for awhile and divers seemed to have them zeroed in.
The migration to AL was for the obvious, more air, (wasn't called "gas" back then) and if my memory serves me correct ( which it sometimes doesn't) compressors had a hard time with the 3K fill.

back in the day, the battle lines were drawn between steel 72's and Al 80's and the were as divided as todays split fin debates. Divers that dived steel really didn't like the AL tanks, they felt like corks. Buoyancy control pre BC's was a physical issue not a mechanical one. The steels had been around for awhile and divers seemed to have them zeroed in.
The migration to AL was for the obvious, more air, (wasn't called "gas" back then) and if my memory serves me correct ( which it sometimes doesn't) compressors had a hard time with the 3K fill.

To say nothing of regulators with less than 3000 psi yokes! I've still got my 1st and only AL80 manufactured 1984 . Eighty cubic feet of danger! :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom