6th Annual after ThanksGiving Turkey Fry & CleanUp 11/29/08 Sponsored IPB ScubaQuest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm shooting for 0900-0930 arrival. I'm not sure when Dana (dkramer) is arriving, but we are planning to get in a yak dive soon after she gets there if any other yakkers wants to join us.

I'm shooting for 0900-0930 arrival. I'm not sure when Dana (dkramer) is arriving, but we are planning to get in a yak dive soon after she gets there if any other yakkers wants to join us.

That sounds like a good time.:D

I will be there between 8:30 and 9:00 (I think).

This is SO true. BYOC (Bring Your Own Containers).

Let's not forget that we all should be bringing those cans from our pantry. There are less fortunate who need our help.

Do we have someone designated for this task yet? Are we having them meet us at the site? Did we call the local paper to encourage others to do so?

Pete, I'm heading up the canned food drive. Only because I live in Lee County, I was planning on delivering the donations to either Harry Chapin food bank or Salvation Army soup kitchen in Ft. Myers. If there's enough, maybe I'll split it between the two.

Thank you, everyone, for thinking of others this holiday season!

Kris Bulla

New member. I met ScubaBoard at the expo in West Palm Beach. Very informative. That is where I learned about this event and of course this forum. Since then, I've been planning this trip to Venice now with my cert. daughter.

I have a few questions hopefully someone can clarify for me.
What is there to expect regarding the event? I mean I know it is a BBQ and a cleanup but what about the diving? Is the diving at the same location? Or is that what Captain Bob is volunteering to do? To take people to the dive sites or are they shore dives? Is everything at one location or is diving elsewhere? Is the diving tide dependent? What can we bring to the event that has not yet been claimed?

Sorry for the questions, but we've never dived the west coast or been to this event and because we are coming from West Palm Beach, I want to make sure we come prepared. Thank you very much for this additional enlightenment you can provide beyond what is already in this thread.:D

New member. I met ScubaBoard at the expo in West Palm Beach. Very informative. That is where I learned about this event and of course this forum. Since then, I've been planning this trip to Venice now with my cert. daughter.

I have a few questions hopefully someone can clarify for me.
What is there to expect regarding the event? I mean I know it is a BBQ and a cleanup but what about the diving? Is the diving at the same location? Or is that what Captain Bob is volunteering to do? To take people to the dive sites or are they shore dives? Is everything at one location or is diving elsewhere? Is the diving tide dependent? What can we bring to the event that has not yet been claimed?

Sorry for the questions, but we've never dived the west coast or been to this event and because we are coming from West Palm Beach, I want to make sure we come prepared. Thank you very much for this additional enlightenment you can provide beyond what is already in this thread.:D

Dont worry about asking questions, and welcome to the board. At one time or another, we were all in your shoes.
Lets see.
First this isnt really a bbq, but a SB Turkey fry get together. We will be frying a turkey on the beach. Several actually.

What to expect. About 60-80 other board members, some in the same boat as you, in that there will be people we dont know, meeting for the first or more than the first time, and generally having fun. There is shore diving right there at the beach. What we normally do is to set up our own little areas of the beach near to each other, and have fun diving meeting or what ever.
Capt. Bob is volunteering to take us out to the boneyard, from the beach.I believe that is the destination for sharks teeth. Keep in mind that you can find the sharks teeth diving off the beach also.They are in abuot 18 feet of water, a few hundred feet out. This particular area,(the boneyard) for some reason and one of the locals may now more about it, collected a lot of large megladon teeth, and hundreds of thousands of smaller prehistoric teeth and bones. Rule of thimb. If it is not round, and has a triangular shape, it is probably a tooth. Also, if you find something and you are not sure about what it is, Fossilbabe is one of our resident tooth and bone experts and she has already stated she is more than willing to id finds.

Heres a pic of the 2 megs I found. The one on the right, was in the near shore gravel area, the larger one in the boneyard.
DSC_00263.JPG

As far as diving goes, it is not tidal dependent,and depth is not a problem as the deepest at the boneyard is about 30 feet, +-, 18 for the inshore gravel area,the only thing that will limit the diving is how well you can see. If 1-2 foot visibility does not bother you,(that is prob the worst Ive seen and not the norm) then there is no problem.Best diving is generally in the morning.
I generally bring chairs to sit on, a tent for shade, and drinking water besides my gear. In addition to what I normally dive with, I also have a small mesh bag for teeth collections,some regular water in a gallon jug to rinse the sand off my gear before I put it back in my truck, and a dive flag. (The law for shore diving) If you dont have a flag, you can pair up with someone who does or there is someone there that will be willing to lend you one or has an extra for the day.

As far as what food has not been claimed, Tamiqua (Missdirected) will get with you about what to bring. See the first post for a general idea.

Feel free to ask all of the questions you may have, and will see you sat. Ill be one of the cooks with Divedivedivecfl.

Another point to add is bring neoprene if you plan on diving. CBulla stated that the temp is 67°, and I wouldn't doubt it one bit if we hit 65° or lower by Saturday.
This is a family event and all are welcome. If you have kids and you want to dive there probably is somebody there (Hermit Crab??) that will watch your kid!

Agroyle - What Truck said (and Jenny about the neoprene) :)

As for dishes; if there is something you'd like to bring or something your good at (like one person makes spectacular brownies) let me know and I will put you down for it. Otherwise, I can certainly give you a suggestion on something easy to pick up.

Glad NetDoc roped you into coming. You're sure to have a good time here. :) This is a super fun event.

Anywho, let me know what you decided and I will add you and your daughter to the list. :bounce2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom