6 More Weeks to Maui!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing that's nice about diving in Hawaii, no thermoclines! What it is at the surface is always within 1 degree of what it is at 100'. :D

So are the temps a bit colder than normal this year? It seems like that's a bit colder than I remember from years past.

Was thinking the same thing. Checked my logs from some Lana'i (Cathedrals) diving I did in 11/2006, and temps were around 80F. Figured it would be at least similar since it is still summer.

One thing that's nice about diving in Hawaii, no thermoclines! What it is at the surface is always within 1 degree of what it is at 100'. :D

So are the temps a bit colder than normal this year? It seems like that's a bit colder than I remember from years past.

75 - 81 depending on site I guess.

OK, 7 mil stays home, don't really want to drag it and the 8lb add-on plates for my BP all the way for nothing.

170 days to go for us. . . give or take a day. . . can't wait! :D

Was thinking the same thing. Checked my logs from some Lana'i (Cathedrals) diving I did in 11/2006, and temps were around 80F. Figured it would be at least similar since it is still summer.

There are fresh water seeps at many of the dive sites. If there has been any significant rain in the previous days, you can feel the cold stream, and see the turbidity of fresh mixing with salt water. I have seen 75 on my computer recently at Cathedrals II when I'm in the seep. 77-79 is what we mention when we brief these sites.

At Cathedrals II yesterday, I had a thin father and daughter who told me after that dive they would probably not make the 60 minute max time of the second dive (5mm long sleeve shorty). We provided him with hooded vest and her with hood so they made it to 500 psi, even though we spent more time deep and they didn't get to 60 minutes. Funny thing was the shallow ending at the Fish Rock site did register 81 on my computer. :D

When I go back to the mainland to visit everyone laughs at me when I bundle up once the temp goes below 60 degrees.

I have been hitting the water here on the south side with upper 70 temps, just wearing swim trunks. No wetsuit. But yet people coming from the west coast that typically dive in water in the mid 50's at best still need a 7 mil for water temps 20+ degrees warmer. I got my cert off Catalina and the best day of my life was when I was able to shed the 7 mil. I do wear the 3 mil once in a while but not too often.

Are you implying that we CA divers have a physical addiction to 7mm wetsuits? :wink:

that west coast divers have become so attached to the cumbersome 7 mil that they have gone to the Beverly Hills cosmetic surgeons and have had them surgically attached so they no longer need to struggle with putting it on or taking it off.

Back
Top Bottom