6 More Weeks to Maui!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha everybody, well I was able to breath off of a tank today, we spent yesterday resting and getting into "island mode" so today KrisB took my best friend on his first OW dive, conditions at Ulua were not the best, south wind licking things up a bit, 30' viz, but we had a great time. So tomorrow Tom begins his OW in earnest, so cool, another scuba addict has been born!

Also, 7mm is way overkill for Hawaii. We dive in 0.5mm full suits and being cold is never a problem. I don't think I have ever seen a temp. below 80 F. on the bottom. On the shallower dives, a swim suit and rash gaurd is usually enough. Probably a good idea to tow a float if the area is not frequented by divers.

7mm is overkill for me, but i was quite happy in my 3/2, a 0.5 would leave me freezing, and I have a bit of "natural" insulation. Someone with less padding might well find a 7mm just fine.

Dive Maven, you are correct in that we have only been to Hawaii in the summer. I can assure you that my daughter's computer shows 80 deg. F temps at depth even at 70 ft. I can't say about winter/fall but I would be surprised if sub-surface temps. vary much in Hawaii considering the latitude. I am sure someone on this board could verify. Possibly wet suit fit is an issue? 7mm suits are hard (more like impossible for me) to get into and it is easy to convience yourself to buy/rent one that is really a little on the large side allowing for a lot of water exchange. The 0.5mm/1.0mm suits stretch like crazy and are comfortable to put on even if they are a little small. Perhaps this explians why they work so well?

Thanks Michael, but I can assure you that both my computer and my husband's haven't shown temperatures warmer than 74-76 degrees in the last 5 Christmas trips we've taken there in the past 5 years. Fit hasn't been an issue with my 5mm full + 3mm vest that I wore last year diving Maui (not rentals, my personal gear) and I was still cold. This is what prompted me to buy a 7mm full in a Pinnacle Elastiprene, which is not hard to get into at all.

Suffice it to say that although I agree with you that 7mm is overkill to recommend for most people, it will not be overkill for me....I've worked up to it and know it's what I need to stay warm diving daily for 8-12 days in 75 degree water.

Dive Maven, you are correct in that we have only been to Hawaii in the summer. I can assure you that my daughter's computer shows 80 deg. F temps at depth even at 70 ft. I can't say about winter/fall but I would be surprised if sub-surface temps. vary much in Hawaii considering the latitude. I am sure someone on this board could verify.

Having dove here year round, I'll tell you that my computers (Suunto D9 / Cobra) have registered temperatures as low as 73 degrees (usually late February-ish), and as high as 81. (mid-September, e.g. *today*) :D

There is rarely a thermocline in Maui waters... at least within recreational dive limits. I'm told there's one at 300'.

Possibly wet suit fit is an issue? 7mm suits are hard (more like impossible for me) to get into and it is easy to convience yourself to buy/rent one that is really a little on the large side allowing for a lot of water exchange. The 0.5mm/1.0mm suits stretch like crazy and are comfortable to put on even if they are a little small. Perhaps this explians why they work so well?

The trouble with stretch is that it makes it even thinner. :)

If you need a 7mm, but want to be able to get into it, consider trying something like the Aqualung Aquaflex suits... I know Pinnacle makes an "Elastiprene" which is supposed to do the same... and there are other brands, too.

Bottom line: being reasonably well insulated, I wear a rashguard and shorts in the summer (July-Sep/Oct) and last year was tempted to step up to a 5mm (I was getting chilled in the 3mm) during the winter. Of course, the 2mm compressed neoprene drysuit with shorts & t-shirt underneath is absolutely perfect! :D

Thank you all for the info. I really had no idea it got that cold in the "winter" in Hawaii. The coldest we have used our 0.5mm suits was in Mexico "Cenote" diving, about 77/76 deg. F. It was a little chilly but no big deal. Adding reef gloves was sufficient. Again, I wonder if the tight fit is more inportant than the thickness of the neoprene?

Forgot to add to my previous post that water temps by Lana'i were 81 at surface, 79 at depth, per my Suunto D6

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom