$500 Compressor Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
J

joebob24

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How many people would be interested in a $500 kit that you could assemble with basic tools that would produce a compressor capable of something like 3-4 SCFM at 3500 PSI? Motor, filtration and mounting not included. Just trying to gauge interest at this point.

Reading the head temp won't tell you much, read the temp of the discharge gas.

The closer you can get to ambient in the Inlet side, the better.

You probably want to run it very slow. this looks like 2 stages? The only way to have that work is at low speeds so I would be in no hurry to speed anything up. What are the ring seals made of?

These cooling sleeve. How does it cool.
Last picture looks like you are using water? (Like the chinese compressor do.)
If your 155* on the head, the air temp probably will be higher,

You also need a way to cool and drain water between the stages.

If you are water cooling.
This or something similar may be a good option for the first stage, and you'll get good water drop out,
Screenshot_20230907-225839_AliExpress.jpg

Reading the head temp won't tell you much, read the temp of the discharge gas.

The closer you can get to ambient in the Inlet side, the better.

You probably want to run it very slow. this looks like 2 stages? The only way to have that work is at low speeds so I would be in no hurry to speed anything up. What are the ring seals made of?
What would you recommend for a discharge temperature limit measured on the line as close to the head as possible?

It is 2 stages, but it has an inlet pressure of around 115psi on the first stage, so it is closer to a 3 stage as far as heat generation.

There are no rings in the second stage and the first stage has glass filled PTFE seals right now. I don't have very high confidence in the seals, but they were only $3, so I thought it would give them a try. I am hoping they last until the 100 hour service at least. It is at 7 hours of run time right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20230907_143700183_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230907_143700183_HDR~2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 85
These cooling sleeve. How does it cool.
Last picture looks like you are using water? (Like the chinese compressor do.)
If your 155* on the head, the air temp probably will be higher,

You also need a way to cool and drain water between the stages.

If you are water cooling.
This or something similar may be a good option for the first stage, and you'll get good water drop out,
The cooling sleeves are press fit around the top of the cylinders and port compressed air around the cylinder and up through the head. They aren't a good long term solution, but they work well for this stage of prototyping, where I am focusing on the piston and valves. I would estimate that I am blowing about 15 SCFM through it to keep it cool right now. Not something the average person is going to be OK with.

The inlet air I am using is already very dry. I am only getting a few drops of water in the separator after running for 2 hours. These are problems I will work on later in the process if I can get this part to work. I am a little surprised I haven't broken anything yet.

The inlet air I am using is already very dry. I am only getting a few drops of water in the separator after running for 2 hours
It is 2 stages, but it has an inlet pressure of around 115psi on the first stage, so it is closer to a 3 stage as far as heat generation.

Wait. Are you using a shop air supply input, that's acting as the first stage?

If yes,
this is making way more sense...

I do something similar.
Shop air 150-175psi into a large dessicate filter, into a large hydraulic accumulator into low bank cylinders, Then high bank or scuba tanks.

Attachments

• 20230909_223959.jpg
    20230909_223959.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 82
I sent files out to a shop for some rough pricing. Looks like the cost of the parts would be around $550 if 10-15 people got together and sent the parts out to a shop together. There are a few things in the design that I think would need to change for the average person to be able to assemble it though. Inflation has been rough on the pricing. Some of the purchased parts have increased in price significantly since I started this. Machined parts are up almost 50% as well.

1694638468539.png

The second column is the approximate of how much I have spent to put the prototype together. I have machined all of the parts shown in blue myself. It does not include things like oil, motor, or filtration system. So far it has only put out about $60 worth or air, so I have a way to go to recoup my cost. Although, I can't get cave fills where I am, so those are close to priceless.

My plan going forward is to keep running it until something breaks. At some point, I will put together a CAD package and parts list, so anyone with the required skills can build one or make improvements as desired. I do not plan on supplying any parts myself.

Maybe if an aluminum piece was machined to press on to the cylinder, with finning like an air cooled engine and one computer fan mounted beside it for air cooling, on each stage...
Just ideas

What would you recommend for a discharge temperature limit measured on the line as close to the head as possible?

There are no rings in the second stage and the first stage has glass filled PTFE seals right now. I don't have very high confidence in the seals, but they were only $3, so I thought it would give them a try. I am hoping they last until the 100 hour service at least. It is at 7 hours of run time right now.
So, it is 3 stages then, that's good.

You say no rings on the final stage, is it oil lubricated?
The closer you can cool it to ambient between stages , the better.

What interstage pressures are you running? (Do you have uniform CRs)

My advice is to keep it slow for now and get the interstage cooling worked out. The vast majority of heat is rejected from the there and not the cylinders.

This is a very cool project, keep it up!

You say no rings on the final stage, is it oil lubricated?
It is oil lubricated. I am feeding a small quantity of oil through with the air and it also gets some splash lubrication from below. Some of the commercial compressors use a similar design, but I think most of them use the piston inverted with the backside bathed in oil. It is one of the areas I am keeping a pretty close eye on.

What interstage pressures are you running? (Do you have uniform CRs)
The inlet pressure is around 100 psi, second stage brings it to around 700 psi. The final stage CR varies depending on output pressure, but runs closer to 5 or 6. I would have liked to use a slightly smaller second stage and a larger final stage, but I am using off the shelf components, so I was not able to match them perfectly.

I ordered some longer tubing for interstage cooling, so when that gets here I will see if I can find a routing plan that keeps in in the moving air and not rattling all over the place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom