$500 Compressor Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
J

joebob24

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How many people would be interested in a $500 kit that you could assemble with basic tools that would produce a compressor capable of something like 3-4 SCFM at 3500 PSI? Motor, filtration and mounting not included. Just trying to gauge interest at this point.

I am not sure if anyone is still looking for updates on this, but it is getting close to the 50 hour mark, so I thought I would give an update. Around the 30 hour mark, I changed out the pulley for one that is a little larger to match the motor to the compressor a little better. It is currently putting out around 3.25 CFM. I estimate that it has produced around 8,000 cubic feet, which is about 50 fills on my doubles. I am debating on tearing it down and checking the components for wear, or just running it until something changes.

I am not sure if anyone is still looking for updates on this, but it is getting close to the 50 hour mark, so I thought I would give an update. Around the 30 hour mark, I changed out the pulley for one that is a little larger to match the motor to the compressor a little better. It is currently putting out around 3.25 CFM. I estimate that it has produced around 8,000 cubic feet, which is about 50 fills on my doubles. I am debating on tearing it down and checking the components for wear, or just running it until something changes.
Of course we're looking for updates.

Any idea what something like this would cause the average Joe to build. I know you posted what you ahve into it, but if I'm not mistaken you have access to more than most?

Also, what do you do about moisture removal.. maybe it's in one of your other posts, so I apologize if you already stated that.

I haven't looked at what it would cost to build recently, but there are a few factors that I think have pushed the cost estimate higher than it was back in 2022. Inflation has been crazy. In general machined components have increased in price by over 50% over the last few years. Also, the harbor freight air compressor that is used to provide the reciprocating motion has gone obsolete and the new version is significantly more expensive and probably just as cheaply made as the previous version. I would guess the current cost would be closer to $750, which does not include the motor or filtration. It would be interesting to look at how much commercial compressors have changed in price over the same time period.

I have an oil separator and a large filter tower for moisture removal. There are some posts about it somewhere in this thread.

Total cost to me for the entire setup, oil changes and filter changes has been around $550, so I am a little ahead money wise vs just getting fills at the shop, but without the hassle of loading up the tanks, driving there and waiting for them to be filled. I doubt it will run long enough to recoup the amount of time I have put into it though.

I haven't looked at what it would cost to build recently, but there are a few factors that I think have pushed the cost estimate higher than it was back in 2022. Inflation has been crazy. In general machined components have increased in price by over 50% over the last few years. Also, the harbor freight air compressor that is used to provide the reciprocating motion has gone obsolete and the new version is significantly more expensive and probably just as cheaply made as the previous version. I would guess the current cost would be closer to $750, which does not include the motor or filtration. It would be interesting to look at how much commercial compressors have changed in price over the same time period.

I have an oil separator and a large filter tower for moisture removal. There are some posts about it somewhere in this thread.

Total cost to me for the entire setup, oil changes and filter changes has been around $550, so I am a little ahead money wise vs just getting fills at the shop, but without the hassle of loading up the tanks, driving there and waiting for them to be filled. I doubt it will run long enough to recoup the amount of time I have put into it though.
Prices for everything are through the roof. I am so glad I bought a compressor before all that stuff.. I'd easily have to pay double now, and for a USED compressor at that!

I think your project is cool, would be nice if you kept at it and kept the idea alive until you had something viable for the "everyman". Would be a huge leap for the diving community if anyone could throw even $1000 and have a small compressor.

The biggest thing that stopped me from diving before I got my compressor was the absolute cluster trying to schedule around fills. I hated it. Now I'm free to dive whenever.

Back
Top Bottom