$500+ a day diving !!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but, I am sorry, what you are suggesting does not sound safe or enjoyable.

With all of the hazards, especially all of those chemicals in the water, you could very well end up with a totally different hair color coming out.

Please be careful.

We are going to be diving it a week on Sunday in the morning, they are going to move the tees well away so there should be no danger from the flying balls (should).

Remember this is England we are talking about, the most dangerous creature you are going to encounter in the water is a duck.

ALLIGATORS AND WATER MOCCASINS!!! S**T...
I had never even heard of them (water moccasins), so being curious I thought would look them up, you guys don't have it easy over there do you? Snakes that live in the water, are they a problem when diving?
In the UK we only have one venomous snake the Adder and fatalities are one person every seven years, I've never even seen a snake in the wild in the UK, the next most scary creature that you will encounter over here is probably a Bee.

I didn't really think about all the chemicals that would get washed in there, and I guess that they could be a problem, this is going to be a one off dive but I guess we will have to re-think our in water times.

Hallmac once bubbled...
Water moccasins are territorial and don't mind defending their home. You will want to be ready for their little surprises as well. There is a company that does this and it is doing very well. search the net and you will read some cool write ups as well.

Hallmac

I'm pretty sure Water moccasins will not be an issue in England.

Bear in mind. a duck takes 5 steps and craps, and repeats this process throughout the day! If you want to stick yer hands in a few feet of <CENSORED> for golfballs, hey, cheers! :D

the_dumper once bubbled...
*SNIP*
Remember this is England we are talking about, the most dangerous creature you are going to encounter in the water is a duck. *UNSNIP*

... are mild in this regard compared to geese. Those birds are simlpy EVIL.

The best place for a goose is in the oven roasting at 350F!

fortunatly adders dont really hang around in the water
they are more at home in some ferns :)

i did however almost tread on one during my chief scouts challenge, the damn thing jumped out behind me scaring the pants off of my mate :)
that said he was shoving his camera in the snakes face at about 1ft distance :wink:

you should be ok, most UK golf courses dont even get the chemical treatment that US ones do, unless were talking some uber professional lark up in scotland or something

Genesis once bubbled...
... are mild in this regard compared to geese. Those birds are simlpy EVIL.

The best place for a goose is in the oven roasting at 350F!

Geese evil, no they are nothing compared to swans, now they are evil, I got chased by two of them at the weekend.
They watch you and wait until you are in the water, then they get all brave and come and get you, flapping their wings and pecking and chasing your now vulnerable head, and to make it worse, over here they are all meant to be owned by the Queen (bless her), so you can't even give them a playful kick with your fin or chase them back because before you know it your in the tower of London with no head.
Pure evil and there is nothing you can do about it.

Just check and make sure the company is operating HSE compliant because you will get personally fined if they inspect.

Over here there is so much tannin in the sediment that your hands remain stained for about a week a nasty rust color, I would second the recommendation for drysuit and full-face mask.

I did this back when I first started diving, my gear, wet suit, $ .10 a ball... No safety considerations. It was not something I would do given what I know now.

I would clear between 3,000 and 5,000 balls a day. We did most courses twice a summer.

Jeff Lane

Well in Texas the "Red Necks" got it figured out! They built a device that looks like what a farmer would use to plow a field.Several round large disks on a axle and thru hydraulics they pull it back and forth across the pond. It goes down into the muck deeply and the balls get wedged into the round "blades" they pull it up on the bank get the balls out and then move it over a little and pull it to the other side. Kinda like a search pattern. No one gets wet and we do have snakes here.

sumguy once bubbled...
Do you have a rubber drysuit and a full face mask? Have you seen what the water hazards look like? Granted, they vary from course to course, but out here they're all full of goose...uh, fertilizer. I wouldn't wade in that water, let alone dive in it. But, that's just me.
:doctor:

Down here in Florida some make their living doing that and they don't mind the gators either

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom