$500+ a day diving !!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_dumper

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have just finished teaching a guy to dive who works for our local golf course.
A few weeks ago he asked if I would be interested in getting two or three divers together and diving the courses water hazards to retrieve the lost golf balls.
Could be a bit of a laugh I thought, and something that I had heard of people doing before.
I sorted it out with his boss and it turns out they have had people do it before, but not for about five years.
Now for the good bit.... he wants to pay us $500 per day, plus 75 cents per golf ball for the good ones, down to 45 cents for the not so good. He reckons that the last time they did it they got 1000's out (three oil drums full).
Sounds like we can't lose, has anyone tried this before and got any tips?, the water is about 6ft deep and we where going to do a jackstay search with a boat on the surface following the divers. We where also going to have four divers split into two teams and taking it in turns as the water is going to be about 40 degrees.

Do you have a rubber drysuit and a full face mask? Have you seen what the water hazards look like? Granted, they vary from course to course, but out here they're all full of goose...uh, fertilizer. I wouldn't wade in that water, let alone dive in it. But, that's just me.

6ft deep? Seems like you could almost wade in on some sort of stilts and never get submerged...Do that in fish waders and maybe it would be doable...heh

Beware....

I'd figure out some way to dredge them for the balls instead....

You wouldn't believe the chemical levels in the water in those waterhazards. Golf courses put more crap on their grass, per acre, than anything else on earth, and none of it is good for you.

Most of it ends up in the water hazards eventually.

If you insist on diving in it I'd want a Viking full rubber suit, with integrated hood, dry gloves and a FFM.

Water moccasins are territorial and don't mind defending their home. You will want to be ready for their little surprises as well. There is a company that does this and it is doing very well. search the net and you will read some cool write ups as well.

Hallmac

Be sure that all the proper people, training, equipment and procedures are in place.

I have yet to see a golf ball diving operation being done correctly under the rules.

All it is going to take is one death and then someone is going to have to pay. Who wants to be that diver?

BTW I dive into retention ponds and stormwater drain pipes for a living. This is NOT FUN diving.

I have never heard of any daily rate for golf ball divers. Everything I have seen is strictly on the number of balls recovered.

I read an article once (can't remember where) about someone who does that for a living. He's had a few run ins with snakes and an alligator. As I recall, he's missing some digits. He gets paid by the ball and has spent years developing relationships with various golf courses.

Genesis once bubbled...
Beware....

I'd figure out some way to dredge them for the balls instead....

You wouldn't believe the chemical levels in the water in those waterhazards. Golf courses put more crap on their grass, per acre, than anything else on earth, and none of it is good for you.

Most of it ends up in the water hazards eventually.

If you insist on diving in it I'd want a Viking full rubber suit, with integrated hood, dry gloves and a FFM.

I have to admit on an occasion or two I've had a few beers while playing golf and have had to add a few....eh....chemicals to the ponds myself. :wacko:

the_dumper once bubbled...
I .... he wants to pay us $500 per day, plus 75 cents per golf ball for the good ones, down to 45 cents for the not so good. He reckons that the last time they did it they got 1000's out (three oil drums full). ....

There is a good reason they are willing to pay prices like that. A search of this site will turn up several prior threads on this item. Be sure you have a good contract with the golf course; otherwise you may be prosecuted for trespass and or theft.

The water in the water hazard will have:
1. Chemicals, lots of them,
2. ZERO as in nada, none visibility, you will find the balls and water moccasins by feel alone (ouch).
3. Critters, snakes (water moccasins) both poisonous and not and snapping turtles. Ouch.
4. You will be diving at night as daytime diving is just too
risky from the flying golf balls.

For my money, I would invest in a golf ball retreiver, a large one and stand on shore. That water is just plain nasty. The below are some threads here to get you started.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16893&highlight=golf+ball
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35597&highlight=golf+ball
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28180&highlight=golf+ball
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20838&highlight=golf+ball

Back
Top Bottom