4th Element gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I was at my LDS today, and they had these wet gloves from 4th Element. They were very interesting, soft neoprene, with an etched outer surface, and what appeared to be sealed seams. What crossed my mind is whether these would be useful in a ring dry glove system, like the Viking or Sitech ones.

Has anyone used these gloves? Are they, in fact, sealed so that the only water entry is through the wrist? Has anyone played with putting them in a ring system?

I dive with those all the time. Even down to 44F, I don't feel any water exchange.

I never tried them on a ring system. They're hard enough to get on as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dive with those all the time. Even down to 44F, I don't feel any water exchange.

I never tried them on a ring system. They're hard enough to get on as it is.
Same here: they're very warm because they are really tight and have sealed seams. They're very comfortable down to 42-44F, and provide excellent dexterity and grip. I can't possibly imagine stretching them to fit over a ring.

I've been using a set for couple years now. At first I didn't like them as they are a biatch to get on when brand new. But once on they are warm. In water more than 60 degrees they are too warm for me. In the 35-50 degree range they are positively toasty and even at the wrist very little water gets in. I don't like rings and smurf gloves. Don't see how they could be used with rings without ruining them unless the design has changed. Between them and my xs scuba dry fives which are easier to get on I have two styles of gloves suitable for everything down to ice diving.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Hmm . . . One of the reasons I'd like to use a ring system is that I have terribly tendony wrists, and get a lot of seepage through my seals when I don't use dry gloves. I may pick up a pair of these and play with them.

If they don't work alone due to your wrist structure you might try them with the Apollo Bio Seals for the wrist. I haven't gotten any of those in yet as I'm still trying to figure out what to bring in on my initial order but I know they work for a number of people on their drysuit wrist and neck cuffs.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Those are what I dive here on Erie for the stuff below the thermocline (usually below 42) I use them with my DS and latex wrist seals. Their length makes them lap on the seals very well, and I, like Jim, find them more than adequate (though nothing but trouble to put on for dive #2 and beyond, or if I'm really sweaty to begin). Highly recommended! I do wish they would come up with a gusseted zip or something though for ease of donning but that might compromise the way they seal so well.

Would love to see if these would work in a ring system, I dive dry gloves almost 100% of the time because of my tendons as well and would love to be able to dive in something a little less than the L smurf gloves with a liner.

My sons and I have been using them for 2 years now and we are very happy with them. That's all I use under my dry gloves in 38 degree water. I really like the improved dexterity over liners.

Bob

Can't really comment on the FE gloves -- although they look great -- but O'Three have a dryglove system that uses a very similar looking neoprene glove on a low-profile, oblong ring. So who knows, your idea might work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom